Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr Unswitchable GTO

gtx6970

The recent wanted thread has me thinking about it,,,,,again.

Anyone have any ideas on a reasonably close chassis for the MR Unswitchable GTO . It's my understanding the original MPC kit isn't accurate , let alone cheap to find

I don't have the patiance or the time to scratchbuild something and for myself it doesn't have 100% accurate either.

Am I seeing things or does this cutaway show split-beam front axles like a Ford pickup ???

post-4889-0-16426100-1351888644_thumb.jp

I realize you don't wish to scratchbuild a frame but you would be way better off starting the frame with rectangular tubing.

I'm thinking .080 X .080 (2" X 2" in real terms) and .080 X .160 (2" X 4")for the main rails. Then drill the numerous lightening holes and add the round rollbar tubing(1/16th inch round)(0.062") Add some c-channel evergreen for the long front shock supports and 'Bob's your uncle'.

Less work than modifying a kit chassis I think.

However, I think the bodywork necessary to convert a stock wb. GTO into that car is daunting. The tubing for the exhausts that exited upwards, the top chop, the relocated wheelwells etc.etc. will require a lot of time ,patience and determination if you want to build an accurate replica.

P.S. Looking at the photo of the incomplete orange car it appears the front half of the chassis was replaced with round tubing and the rollbar's been updated, the driver's boxy compartment looks original.

Edited by doggie427

Am I seeing things or does this cutaway show split-beam front axles like a Ford pickup ???

post-4889-0-16426100-1351888644_thumb.jp

I realize you don't wish to scratchbuild a frame but you would be way better off starting the frame with rectangular tubing.

I'm thinking .080 X .080 (2" X 2" in real terms) and .080 X .160 (2" X 4")for the main rails. Then drill the numerous lightening holes and add the round rollbar tubing(1/16th inch round)(0.062") Add some c-channel evergreen for the long front shock supports and 'Bob's your uncle'.

Less work than modifying a kit chassis I think.

However, I think the bodywork necessary to convert a stock wb. GTO into that car is daunting. The tubing for the exhausts that exited upwards, the top chop, the relocated wheelwells etc.etc. will require a lot of time ,patience and determination if you want to build an accurate replica.

P.S. Looking at the photo of the incomplete orange car it appears the front half of the chassis was replaced with round tubing and the rollbar's been updated, the driver's boxy compartment looks original.

Yes it was a Twin Beam Suspension . Scratch building the frame and chassis isn't as bad as you might think , I've already started my own build of this car .

Here are some more photos of the original car . http://photobucket.com/mrunswitchableoriginal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...