#41 Doobie

Doobie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Chivers

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

I agree about the chrome trim it does not conform to the cerves very well BMF is much better. cool caddy BTW

#42 Johnny1973

Johnny1973

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Location:Port Charlotte Florida (Formerly of Passaic New Jersey)
  • Full Name:John Hines III

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Mike,I glad i didnt miss your stories.I move from nj to florida.I finally got my internet services again.

#43 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Full Name:Michael R. Siesicki

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks guys!  I have been wondering about the chrome decals in this kit.  I may try one and see how it goes.  If it fails, then I'll use BMF.

The Story

McNally drives up to the corner and takes a left onto a side street, quickly does a 180 degree spin and pulls up to the corner and stops the Charger.  He didn't have to wait long when he sees the old truck, a flatbed wrecker, pull out of the driveway of Derek's house and drives off in the opposite direction.  McNally pulls back out onto Shanna Road and hangs back far enough to keep the old truck barely in sight.  McNally follows the truck for several miles until he comes to a railroad crossing and the gate come down stopping traffic.  He loses sight of Derek's truck...one of the downfalls of tailing a suspect alone.  It is just as well as he needs to start heading down to Connecticut to interview the buyer of Walter's old '59 Caddy.

The Build

I spent some time painting small parts today and I'm about 95% done.  Some parts require more than one color and some require a second coat of paint.
Caddy29.jpg
Caddy30.jpg
Caddy31.jpg

McNally Will Return...

#44 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

The Story

Once free of the railroad crossing, McNally turns his Charger towards Rt. 91 and Connecticut to meet with the collector, a gentleman named Wayne.  He arrives at Wayne's collector car business and walks into the showroom and is greeted by Wayne himself.  They sit down in Wayne's office to talk about the Caddy and the sale of the car.
“Where is the Cadillac now,” asks Wayne.
“It is the Boston Police Impound Garage as evidence.”
“I don’t suppose they’ll be releasing the car anytime soon, will they?”
“Not until after the investigation has concluded and maybe after the trial if someone has been caught,” says McNally.
“How unfortunate. I may have a potential buyer for the car. I guess it’ll have to wait,” replies Wayne.
“Probably. Has anyone approached you about the car besides your potential buyer?”
“No, no one. Just the one buyer whom I have known for years. I can’t divulge his name, but I can forward any questions to him if you have any.”
McNally says he doesn't have any questions for the potential buyer at this time, but he will call Wayne if he does.  McNally decides to leave before he spends money he doesn't have on an AC Cobra that is on display in the showroom and get back to Boston for dinner with Caitlyn.

The Build

Chassis assembly is underway!
Caddy32.jpg
The distributor and coil have been wired.
Caddy33.jpg
A mockup of the engine and chassis.
Caddy34.jpg

McNally Will Return...

#45 the weapon x

the weapon x

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Full Name:Jamie Waring

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Looking great!!!! what kind of wire do you use for your engine???

#46 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,000 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

Nice progress Mike, really  sharp color on the body, looking forward to more...

#47 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Looking good. I have to build mine someday. Every one of these I've seen built looks so nice. And it's '59 Caddy...what's not to like?

Charlie Larkin

#48 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Thanks guys!

Jamie, I use wrapping wire from Radio Shack  It comes in 50 ft. rolls in either red, white, or blue.

Charlie, how can you not like a nice set of tail fins?!!

#49 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Full Name:Dominik Weitzer

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

speaking from experience, they don't stick very good, and over time start to peel and lift

I agree about the chrome trim it does not conform to the cerves very well BMF is much better. cool caddy BTW

I agree with both Mike! Dont use this :angry:-chromedecals, bmf is the first choice.

The convertible had some stickers that i used, as i was at the beginning of my "career" - loooong time ago.

I built the same Seville two years ago and today i made a shooting again (to test my new camera). This Decals from the Seville are no way better...i remember, that they adhered miserable and now they lift off on some points.

The second fault with it: i painted clearcoat as always after using bmf and decals. Those decals are slightly wrinkled. No good chioce. If  i will build this beautiful kit again, i kick them and use bmf at all trim. The work is worth it.

Go one buddie! I like what i see and looking forward to see it with all the chrome.

What have you planed with the vinyl roof?

#50 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Dominik, I plan on leaving the vinyl roof as is in the color I painted it with.  I may add a clearcoat of semi-gloss clear before it is completed.

The Story 

McNally returns to Boston in time to meet Caitlyn for dinner.  He tells her about his day and his trip to Springfield.  Caitlyn tells McNally of her desire to return home to visit with her folks and friends someday soon.  With the weekend almost here, they both can travel to Springfield and she can visit with her parents and friends while McNally investigates Derek Parregrin further, including a late night visit to Derek's house and a closer look at the flatbed wrecker.  They leave the restaurant and head for McNally's Charger Daytona parked just down the street when McNally's cell phone rings.  The call is from one of McNally's longtime informants and he answers the call and says, "Zachy, what's up?"  Zachy replies, "Meet me at the diner.  I'm in trouble."  "Stay there.  I'm on my way!"

The Build

I know, I know...it's been a couple of weeks since an update on this build.  Well, here's an update...the interior is underway.  I detailed the side panels using chrome silver and metalizer paints and installed them along with the seats.
Caddy35.jpg
Caddy36.jpg
Caddy37.jpg

McNally Will Return...

#51 Johnny1973

Johnny1973

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Location:Port Charlotte Florida (Formerly of Passaic New Jersey)
  • Full Name:John Hines III

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Great job on the interior Mike.

#52 Dirkpitt289

Dirkpitt289

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Full Name:Dirk Pitt

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Great work as usual Mike

#53 Doobie

Doobie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Chivers

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Michael good job so far . How come your rear seat is different on my 59 there is a chrome speeker across the seat and the rear shelf is concave ? Which kit is it that you have?

#54 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Michael good job so far . How come your rear seat is different on my 59 there is a chrome speeker across the seat and the rear shelf is concave ? Which kit is it that you have?

The kit I have is the Monogram Cadillac Eldorado Seville Hardtop  kit no. 85-7808 .  I suspect that the kit you have may be the Eldorado Biarritz Convertible.  My kit also contains some parts for the Convertible including the different seat back and convertible boot since both kit are virtually the same.  One is a Hardtop and the other is a convertible.  Or else, the kit you have may have gotten the convertible interior parts in error.  On the convertibles, the rear seat speaker is mounted in the upper middle of the seat back.

#55 remingtonbox

remingtonbox

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Full Name:Remington Box

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

The car is gorgeous, the Tamiya light brown is a phenomenal color!

but the story... I want to hear more, also can you post it in detail as you wrote it?  I feel that by you cutting it down you have lost some of the detail

#56 slammedi'am

slammedi'am

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Harrold

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Looking good man!

#57 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Remington and Shane!

The car is gorgeous, the Tamiya light brown is a phenomenal color!

but the story... I want to hear more, also can you post it in detail as you wrote it?  I feel that by you cutting it down you have lost some of the detail

Remington, thank you for your interest in my story, but I refuse to to add more than what I have posted here for a reason...this is a scale model car forum, not story time at the library. The purpose of adding a small story to my build is to show what is driving me to build a particular model and yes, to show off a little bit of my writing skill (or lack of).  I don't want to overwhelm the WIP with my story and keep the focus on the build itself.  I have been doing this for about 3 years and the response has been good and I have been told to try and get my stories published, which is no easy task.  I have a journalist friend who has written a novel and has been getting rejection notices left and right.  

I mainly write for my own enjoyment and sometimes the stories help take my mind off some of my daily troubles.  I find it as an escape of sorts and combining the story with a model build allows me to be able to build a model that would otherwise sit in my stash longer.  The actual stories are on the short side as well, averaging out to 8-10 pages at about 5000 words.  Short stories.  I do thank you for your interest and I hope you will keep watching my WIP!      

#58 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Nice progress Mike. The white/copper interior looks good. This is going to be a sharp build at MassCar's show in March. I do hope you'll be able to bring it.

Charlie Larkin

#59 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

great progress!

#60 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Charlie and Bill!

Charlie, I am hoping to be able to bring the Caddy to MASSCAR in March.

The Story

McNally and Caitlyn arrive at the Diner and find Zachy in his usual booth and looking very bad.  Zachy sees McNally and he shows McNally his arm with a red and swollen welt...an injection point.  Zachy tells of the party with two guys he met and they forced his arm onto a tabletop and injected him with an unknown drug.  He's become too weak to get himself to the hospital, so he called McNally.  With Caitlyn's help, they get Zachy out to the Charger and McNally drives him to the hospital ER.  

The Build

I have built up the engine as far as the instructions say I can.  The are several more parts to go on after the body and chassis have been assembled together.
Caddy38.jpg
Caddy39.jpg
Caddy40.jpg

McNally Will Return...