64 replies to this topic

#41 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

IIRC.....these are the Revell parts pack Pontiac's.......They have a great effort at being detailed...but they are so old....they come off OK. Odd parts break down. I stripped most of the chrome. Just OK....

RELLA003-vi.jpg

Note that the headers do not line up with exhaust....but being a showrod.....would not be the first time!!!

RELLA004-vi.jpg

#42 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

in my opinion, the Revell Parts Pack engines are some of the best pieces in the universe. A lot of folks say they're "fiddly", but if you take your time and fit everything straight and square, you just can NOT get a better engine. Details are correct and crisp, and most of them have speed-parts for multiple build-options.

The chrome comes off easy with Easy-Off oven cleaner. One minor problem...some of the re-issued packs have excessive sink-marks. So far I've been able to correct them with a little putty, but when it happens on a finned valve cover (for instance) you'll have to raid the parts stash for replacements.

Once again, these make BEAUTIFUL engines.

The AMT engine packs are even better.

DSCN4808.jpg

The Pontiac is basically the same engine that's in the Challenger kit...

DSCN7860.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 08 January 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#43 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I use Revell Parts Pak motors all the time. The blocks in particular have excellent detail. The speed parts are a bit oddball at times, they are definitely from the early 60's, But they build up beautifully and free me from the tyranny of kit engines. I buy them cheaply in multiples on eBay. I always strip them of chrome except the parts that would be chromed in a show car application. The one I've used least is the 427 Ford, but the other 3 commonly available varieties, the 283 Chevy small block, the Cadillac 354 V8 and the 421 Pontiac, are in constant rotation among my builds. There are other motors that Revell issued originally which are now extremely rare, among them a Buick Nailhead, a 392 Chrysler Hemi and an injected '63 Corvette V8. Here's a link to web site that has a nice look back at old Parts Packs from various manufacturers: http://robdebie.home.../partspacks.htm

A note in passing: I think the header mismatch in the post above using the Pontiac engines involved using the Parts Pack 427 Ford headers on them. The Parts Pack headers for the Pontiac are shown (although stripped of chrome) in the picture below

Here are a few examples of motors I've built. Most are modified to some degree from the Parts Pack version:

421 Pontiac:

DSCF0841-web.jpg

DSCF4515-web.jpg

283 Chevy:

DSCF1109-web.jpg

DSCF9623-web.jpg

454 Caddy:

DSCF0370-web.jpg

DSCF1990-web.jpg

427 Ford:

DSCF1890-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron, 08 January 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#44 madisonwoodsmith

madisonwoodsmith

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Full Name:John Shaffner

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Thanks guys! I kinda thought they were decent from all the pics I've seen on eBay, but I've never seen one built. It looks like I have something to look forward to when they get here. Hey Bernard, where can I get one of those engine stands? I had one a gazillion yrs. ago, but I'll be dipped if have it now. Got rid of all my 60's and 70's kits when I got married in '79 Sure do wish I still had 'em...sigh

Thanks again gents,

John

#45 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

... Hey Bernard, where can I get one of those engine stands? I had one a gazillion yrs. ago, but I'll be dipped if have it now. Got rid of all my 60's and 70's kits when I got married in '79 Sure do wish I still had 'em...sigh...

The George Jetson style one comes in the AMT '49 Ford Coupe kit IIRC and the simpler utility stand is in a whole lot of the early AMT 3-in-1's, Mine all come from AMT '39-'40 Fords of various flavors. I love 'em for these detail photographs...

#46 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

then there is the mysterious case of the revell "mooneyes" small block chevy (as used in the Mooneyes dragster and also available in parts pack):

9qqh.jpg

wlee.jpg

versus the (imo) superior AMT SBC that also somehow could be built into a front blower swept back pipe version remarkably similar to Revell's!

g80v.jpg

xizb.jpg

#47 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:32 AM

There are other motors that Revell issued originally which are now extremely rare, among them a Buick Nailhead, a 392 Chrysler Hemi and an injected '63 Corvette V8.

Bernard....cool recap. 

FWIW, the 392 Hemi is rebopped in the Revell Miss Deal kit.  It's identical as far as I can tell, except for the different exhaust headers, and the point that all the pieces are chromed in the Parts Pack version, vs. only those you'd actually want chromed in the Miss Deal kit. 

I agree that the 327 Chevy Parts Pack is the hardest to find. 

Also, I haven't read the entire thread so apologies in advance if I'm repeating something already said but many of Revell's full model kits of the early 60's contained engines that were designed in the same manner as their Parts Pack engines.  I'm particularly fond of the Cadillac in the Outlaw kit (which is similar to the Parts Pack Cad but has different building options including the intake manifold/carb setup), the blown Olds in the Beatnik Bandit (some really cool parts on that one), and even the 409 Chevy optional engine in the original Revell '55 Chevy kit.   

In any case, like others have said here, these Revell Parts Packs are cool engines, with excellent period-correct speed accessories, that are generally a fun and authentic build. 

TIM

#48 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:34 AM

then there is the mysterious case of the revell "mooneyes" small block chevy (as used in the Mooneyes dragster and also available in parts pack):

versus the (imo) superior AMT SBC that also somehow could be built into a front blower swept back pipe version remarkably similar to Revell's!

J.B., gotta agree with you completely on this one.  The AMT Mooneyes is clearly superior, particularly in the exhaust headers rendition.  Nice builds btw!   TIM 

#49 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:59 AM

Sad part is, if you really want to build a more correct Mooneye's Dragster, you should use the Attempt 1 chassis and the AMT SBC setup.

#50 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

>you should use the Attempt 1 chassis

I think the attempt 1 chassis is aka "dragmaster" chassis part pack...primary difference vs the "mooneyes" chassis is that the dragmaster includes the upper hoops (under cowl at its front and rear) and for some strange reason those chassis hoops are not present on the Mooneyes version. very strange. and of course the attempt 1 version has different side panels than the mooneyes or the dragmaster versions but that is body panel and not chassis itself.

edit: just checked (looked at photos) and I don't think the attempt 1 chassis does have those upper hoops...that leaves the dragmaster parts pack chassis as the best to use for the mooneyes dragster unless someone knows something I don't on the matter...

jb

Edited by jbwelda, 09 January 2014 - 05:38 PM.

#51 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Now for some information from  members on this board First William Just http://www.modelcars...showtopic=78785 next John Agugaliaro http://www.modelcars...showtopic=46663

Edited by Casey, 09 January 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#52 Merc49

Merc49

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:David Harrison

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Hey, I'm thinking about dropping a Revell Parts-Pak Caddy in an AMT '36 Ford, does the engine come with a suitable transmission?

#53 Karl LaFong

Karl LaFong

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Full Name:Keith Jones

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

David,

With the parts pack Caddy, you have a choice of a Hydramatic or an in-out box.  If you are doing a drag car, the in-out should fit with no or little problems; the Hydramatic may take some finagling to fit underneath the floor board.  You'll also need to make a motor mount and check for clearance with the wire axle.

#54 Merc49

Merc49

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:David Harrison

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Thanks. I was planning on doing a mid to late fifties style hot rod.

#55 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

Bernard....cool recap. 

FWIW, the 392 Hemi is rebopped in the Revell Miss Deal kit.  It's identical as far as I can tell, except for the different exhaust headers, and the point that all the pieces are chromed in the Parts Pack version, vs. only those you'd actually want chromed in the Miss Deal kit. 

I agree that the 327 Chevy Parts Pack is the hardest to find. 

Also, I haven't read the entire thread so apologies in advance if I'm repeating something already said but many of Revell's full model kits of the early 60's contained engines that were designed in the same manner as their Parts Pack engines.  I'm particularly fond of the Cadillac in the Outlaw kit (which is similar to the Parts Pack Cad but has different building options including the intake manifold/carb setup), the blown Olds in the Beatnik Bandit (some really cool parts on that one), and even the 409 Chevy optional engine in the original Revell '55 Chevy kit.   

In any case, like others have said here, these Revell Parts Packs are cool engines, with excellent period-correct speed accessories, that are generally a fun and authentic build. 

TIM

The 327 Chevy pack was pieced into the Revell '57 Chevy kit (the old opening-doors one, due to be reissued this year).  If you have one, check out the tree with the unplated engine parts...you can see the "parts pack" style tree that surrounds the parts.  Some parts inside the tree are deleted because they weren't needed on the Chevy, or were redundant to parts on the existing plated tree.  I believe the switch was done around 1968, when other changes were made to the Chevy: different hood and trunk hinges, addition of the supercharger option (which was part of the parts pack), the drag front axle, and deletion of the roll bar and spare tire in favor of a molded plastic "tire cover". 

Prior to the reissues, the 427 Ford was probably the toughest engine to find, as it was the last one released (in 1965, one of the last few packs released).  The 327 Chevy might be a tough one, but I'd say that the Buick and the funky turbine are tough too.  People still pay a decent chunk of change for the Chrysler, even though it is available in the Miss Deal kit. 

#56 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Here is the Ford motor I used a few years back, and I like the results. They can be "fiddly", but hey..sometimes that just is the way it works.

Rat 9

Rat 5

Rat 9b

#57 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

The 327 Chevy pack was pieced into the Revell '57 Chevy kit (the old opening-doors one, due to be reissued this year).  If you have one, check out the tree with the unplated engine parts...you can see the "parts pack" style tree that surrounds the parts.  Some parts inside the tree are deleted because they weren't needed on the Chevy, or were redundant to parts on the existing plated tree.  I believe the switch was done around 1968, when other changes were made to the Chevy: different hood and trunk hinges, addition of the supercharger option (which was part of the parts pack), the drag front axle, and deletion of the roll bar and spare tire in favor of a molded plastic "tire cover". 

Prior to the reissues, the 427 Ford was probably the toughest engine to find, as it was the last one released (in 1965, one of the last few packs released).  The 327 Chevy might be a tough one, but I'd say that the Buick and the funky turbine are tough too.  People still pay a decent chunk of change for the Chrysler, even though it is available in the Miss Deal kit. 

Just to confirm...everything Mark says here I agree with....TB

#58 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Here is the Ford motor I used a few years back, and I like the results. They can be "fiddly", but hey..sometimes that just is the way it works.

Mark...that looks very sharp.  And here's how I used it on one of my projects...http://public.fotki....the-pages-of-m/   TIM

Edited by tim boyd, 28 January 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#59 ApexSpeed

ApexSpeed

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Carter

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread before. I bought 4 of each of the re-makes many years ago and they have been sitting on a shelf ever since. Recently, I started pulling them out to build. The first, was the misnamed 354 Cadillac, which is really a .030" over 331 Caddy. Two transmissions, two intake systems and a REALLY neat little kit. I have nothing to put this is, because I just like building engines. I haven't wired this yet because I have too many projects on the bench right now, but it will be finished soon.

Hand-cut aluminum injector stacks, Altered States OE valve covers and a couple of other little adjustments round out a stock kit. Chrome stripped from everything and the resin valve covers were Alclad chromed. Nice little builds, for sure.

cadillac_331_005.jpg

Anyone have a nailhead they don't want? :)

#60 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:52 AM

I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread before. I bought 4 of each of the re-makes many years ago and they have been sitting on a shelf ever since. Recently, I started pulling them out to build. The first, was the misnamed 354 Cadillac, which is really a .030" over 331 Caddy. Two transmissions, two intake systems and a REALLY neat little kit. I have nothing to put this is, because I just like building engines. I haven't wired this yet because I have too many projects on the bench right now, but it will be finished soon.

Hand-cut aluminum injector stacks, Altered States OE valve covers and a couple of other little adjustments round out a stock kit. Chrome stripped from everything and the resin valve covers were Alclad chromed. Nice little builds, for sure.

cadillac_331_005.jpg

Anyone have a nailhead they don't want? :)

Sharp!!!!  TB