Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would mean more to you

It's a toss-up.On one hand,it's a definite thrill to know your model was seen to be unique in some way and will be seen by thousands of people when looking at a picture in a magazine.It's also a thrill to have your efforts judged to be outstanding compared to other modeler's efforts either by people's choice (as in an NNL) or from being judged in direct competition.One way isn't better than the other,they're just different.

Good way to put it.

Depends a bit on the caliber of the award/contest and magazine.

A first place award from a GSL against a little picture in a magazine that that reaches a few hundred readers?

Full coverage in a major magazine against a BOS win at a little weekend show with 20 entries?

Another reason I prefer to build for my own amusement...

Magazine would be nice. I've won several awards, after a while they just collect dust. What really means something to me is when someone comes up to me at a show and compliments my work, or asks how I did something, because they wanted to try it themselves. Thats the best compliment you can recieve when someone wants to emmulate your work.

I have never felt happier about my work than when I recently posted a very old build of my 1:12 Bentley and got a lot of kudos and encouragement. I would be happy just to get some nice comments on this forum, judged by a jury of my peers. I think that's what Ben just said.

But in general, I would encourage our members to make constructive criticism of the builds they see on this forum as they see fit, with a little less rah-rah. We are loaded with members who know tons of stuff and can help people get better. Talk about the good, but offer critical opinions if you think they would be helpful. That's the nice thing about the forum that you don't get in contests or the magazine - the give-and-take discussion.

Edited by sjordan2

The three biggest awards other then making the magazines for me that had a special feeling is the Ricky Couch memorial award at the GSL, The Goodguys Model D'elegance award at GSL and the Peoples Choice award at the Goodguy Nationals in Ohio. But the Ricky Couch award is by far will be the tops over every thing as it just makes you think of the people in this hobbie he help'ed and if he would have like what I built and put it in his level.

Either would be cool but I recently got asked if my Packard Boattail Speedster I'm displaying at work was a Danbury Mint car. I have seen DM cars and know how nice they are, so for ME that was a great moment.

Bob

Edited by Dragline

Either would be cool but I recently got asked if my Packard Boattail Speedster I'm displaying at work was a Danbury Mint car. I have seen DM cars and know how nice they are, so for ME that was a great moment.

Bob

PLEASE show us some images of your build.

I have Daara drivers give me pictures of there car, and i build them per pictures,,and to see there smile, and

happiness when they get it,, That does my heart good. And being on disabitiy , it keeps me busy with

something i enjoy doing,,,

Being honest, neither. I started in this hobby, so long ago, that I didn't know there were magazines & shows dedicated to models & modelling. I've alway's built to please myself. I'm inspired by other builders & friends in this hobby. I've never sought media recognition, nor any awards. This for me, would take the fun out of the hobby. Beside's this, no-one would be able to critique my builds worse than me.

Cheers Dan

I agree with everything Dan said here.

I would never submit a model to a contest or magazine, but I do enjoy looking at the models of those who do.

Edited by dmk