Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D-printed 1/24 scale 15" Vector Wheel

Well, about two months ago we moved from a house to a condo, which means all my casting work came to a halt. I'm working on getting a fume hood/paint booth so I can get back into the business of making parts for my models. In the meantime, I have plunged headlong into digital modeling. I'm working on a bunch of items to have 3D-printed, so when I get back to casting I'll have stuff to work with. I can make a digital master in a fraction of the time it takes to make a scratchbuilt master, but getting the digital files printed is an expensive proposition. I made this wheel for the 84-85 Buick Regal T-Type today:

85t3_zpsb2374ae8.jpg

(Pic from GNTTYPE,org)

TType_zpsaf7d2c92.png

I altered the design just slightly so the wheels can be cast in a one-piece mold. I wish I had done that with my Vector wheel... oh, wait... all I have to do is open up the Vector wheel file, make a few edits, have it printed ($), and voilà, I have a new version without the hassle of modifying a scratchbuilt master. Using the "power of computerized technology," I can make tire/wheel assemblies that match up very well:

BFG-TType_zps1bb0cc30.png

Now if I just had an Objet Eden printer, I could print these at home. If I had an extra $65K sitting around, I could pick up this one on eBay!

Well, about two months ago we moved from a house to a condo, which means all my casting work came to a halt. I'm working on getting a fume hood/paint booth so I can get back into the business of making parts for my models. In the meantime, I have plunged headlong into digital modeling. I'm working on a bunch of items to have 3D-printed, so when I get back to casting I'll have stuff to work with. I can make a digital master in a fraction of the time it takes to make a scratchbuilt master, but getting the digital files printed is an expensive proposition. I made this wheel for the 84-85 Buick Regal T-Type today:

85t3_zpsb2374ae8.jpg

(Pic from GNTTYPE,org)

TType_zpsaf7d2c92.png

I altered the design just slightly so the wheels can be cast in a one-piece mold. I wish I had done that with my Vector wheel... oh, wait... all I have to do is open up the Vector wheel file, make a few edits, have it printed ($), and voilà, I have a new version without the hassle of modifying a scratchbuilt master. Using the "power of computerized technology," I can make tire/wheel assemblies that match up very well:

BFG-TType_zps1bb0cc30.png

Now if I just had an Objet Eden printer, I could print these at home. If I had an extra $65K sitting around, I could pick up this one on eBay!

What software do you have to use for the 3-D artwork Joe?

I just opened 3ds Max for the first time in years the other day to show my wife how a cat tree we bought will look in the house. Maybe it time to get back modeling the way 3D Printers are so much in the news!

Edited by Foxer