END OF THE YEAR ROUND UP (Learned Anything New?)

• You cannot reply to this topic
55 replies to this topic

#41 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Sumner Sr.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

I've learned to shut my written mouth when it comes to trying to help other modelers out with correct information. I.E. when drag cars are mismarked or someone labels an Altered or an A/FX car a Gasser, or they put wrinkled slicks on a car that's sitting still or something else is totally wrong. Doesn't do any good and folks take offense too easily and get P.O'ed at you for making comments such as these. So now when I see stuff that is screwed up I just don't say anything. When I do see something that is good I will praise it but I'm not going to make any corrective comments anymore. I'm already labeled the Gasser Nazi ... and...that grumpy old bas.....d in spite of the fact that I'm one of the most easy going guys around!

#42 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

I've learned that when you try to thin the herd at a swap meet, that when you get home the herd has somehow doubled in size...

#43 Jeff Johnston

Jeff Johnston

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

I've learned to shut my written mouth when it comes to trying to help other modelers out with correct information. I.E. when drag cars are mismarked or someone labels an Altered or an A/FX car a Gasser, or they put wrinkled slicks on a car that's sitting still or something else is totally wrong. Doesn't do any good and folks take offense too easily and get P.O'ed at you for making comments such as these. So now when I see stuff that is screwed up I just don't say anything. When I do see something that is good I will praise it but I'm not going to make any corrective comments anymore. I'm already labeled the Gasser Nazi ... and...that grumpy old bas.....d in spite of the fact that I'm one of the most easy going guys around!

Those who cannot take constructive criticism on their models will never be better modelers. I welcome it... Sometimes even as gingerly as you (not you as in you...in general, anyone) try to point out something a modeler can or might want to re-think the next time, people still get offended.

I have a model builder I work with. He builds ships...all kinds of ships. I showed him a picture of my Titan 90 and how I was rusting it. He quickly pointed out that the way I was doing it wasn't how something would actually rust. It was actually where I didn't put the rust that he pointed out..and he was right..and I learned something..and I did not get offended.

#44 mikethepoormodeler

mikethepoormodeler

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

I've learned to make sur my speling is corect.

#45 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Full Name:Junior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I find that I have honed my painting skills by doing figure models.

Also that I can do scenery better than I thought I was able to. Lucky accident on this one. So I figure my skills are getting better.

#46 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

I won't say that I have learned,but rather began learning how to do weathered builds. I still have a long way to go.

#47 Helix

Helix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Hincks

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Interesting thread Doc!
What I've learned, is to enjoy what you build and try not to take it too seriously, take on board the comments both positive and negative which helps you do better next time ;) !

oh, one more thing, I got new glasses now, so hopefully I won't say something doesn't look right when it is :lol: !

Cheers
Ray

#48 mopar68

mopar68

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Full Name:Zac Millington

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

I've learnt heaps of extremely useful hints and tips which I most likely won't remember when I need them most :lol:

#49 Skip

Skip

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Ragsdale

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Learned a couple of things this year. First I discovered this forum and instead of lurking got on it and after years of lone wolf uninvolvement have enjoyed talking to fellow modelers on here.

Second, I learned to use superglue. (Didn't do this modeling but it involves a Dremel and the round slit saw blade.) While cutting aluminum bar stock with the Dremmel sawblade that if it can kick back. It will. When it does kick back make sure your finger is not in the way of the blade which will be spinning at just under the speed of light. If the blade does contact your finger there may be what looked like at the time, sort of a reddish spray that may be comprimised of skin, fingernail and possibly bone. That wife knows immediately not to look at the gore when you have red sprayed on your white tee shirt (especially when preceded by colorful adjectives resembeling the ones used by the dad in "A Christmas Story" . When I got to the ER there were several Doc's who found great humor in my finger's split open state. Each one asking for a detailed account of how it got that way! That nurses absolutely love to scrub a cut out with what feels like a wire brush forever. I also learned that in some cases they don't stitch up the end of a split finger, they superglue it back together!! They used regular old Krazyglue superglue!! I immediately thought to myself I could have spared my self a most embarrassing afternoon, if I'd only known I could glue myself back together! I also wondered why they didn't use the zap kicker for quicker results ;) Maybe they could toss in a little baking soda to fill up the divot for immediate like healed results!!!

#50 moparfarmer

moparfarmer

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Farmer

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Skip, the blood acts as the "kicker" water will do the same thing....

#51 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,114 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I have learned over the past month that I still have a lot to learn about painting

#52 dimebolt

dimebolt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Full Name:Corey M. Jackson

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

I have learned over the past month that I still have a lot to learn about painting

Amen to that.
I've been painting for almost 23 years now, and still learn all the time. It's a journey for sure.
Corey

#53 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,114 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Amen to that.
I've been painting for almost 23 years now, and still learn all the time. It's a journey for sure.
Corey

Its a journey thats costing me money in replacing bodys that I keep ruining :lol: :angry:

#54 dartman

dartman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

I learned to watch where ya point the exacto knife.Also that the exaco knife is sharp and pointy....

#55 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I learned to watch where ya point the exacto knife.Also that the exaco knife is sharp and pointy....

A lesson that will be Learned many times over.. :D

#56 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,114 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

A lesson that will be Learned many times over.. :D

You would think that it would only take just one time, but I guess the paint and glue fumes has messed that part of our brains up :lol: