36 replies to this topic

#21 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Chief I second that. Can you share what printing service printed that wheel? I'll say that may be the finest surface finish I've seen in a 1/24 or 1/25 scale 3D printed part.

X2! 1/24??

Jaw-dropping.

#22 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph Osborn

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

The guy who printed this wheel for me is not a full-time printer for hire, so he would not want me posting his info on the 'net. However, there's a place in San Francisco that is about to put a new printer into service that can do this kind of fine work. Their web site is www.moddler.com. I imagine Shapeways will have this capability soon, too.

I'd like to add that the MakerBot Replicator 2 is a huge leap forward for the plastic-squirter type of printer, but a liquid resin printer like the B9Creator can make better parts, albeit with a higher material cost. I would love to have a desktop printer so that I could generate lower-resolution basic shapes that I could then finish with traditional modeling techniques. For really intricate parts, I would send them out for printing and in return, get a part back that would be virtually ready to go into rubber.

This is the future, guys. I've been very slow in embracing it, but now that I'm in, I have a whole new enthusiasm for the hobby.

#23 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

The People's Republic of SF??

WOOOOOOOOO! Perhaps you might guess why I'm DIGGIN' that, Chief!

Excellent. Thanks for the proof.

#24 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Not model-related, but interesting illustration of how fast this stuff is coming on.....

FEATURE
Posted Image3D-Printerd Tools Help Lab Fight Diseases
At the University of California San Francisco’s DeRisi Lab, scientists investigate viruses and parasites that torment humans as well as anything from tiny insects to boa constrictors. Joseph DeRisi, the lab’s head and Howard Hughes Medical Investigator, views 3D printing as a valuable tool for research, lab equipment, and education. Often DeRisi finds it faster and cheaper -- a lot cheaper -- to build such parts as pipet racks, objective cases, and gel combs as well as unique devices on the lab’s uPrint 3D Printer than waiting for a third-party supplier. Posted Image
“Scientists are constantly in need of specialized apparatuses,” says DeRisi. “There’s hardly a microscope in our building that does not have some 3D-printed part on it. Yes, you could go to a catalog and order a highly specialized [part]. But it’s ridiculous that that costs $50 and that we can print it for a dollar.”
In his lectures outside the lab, DeRisi uses detailed 3D-printed virus models to help students and other audiences understand viruses. DeRisi hopes that 3D printers could fuel a resurgence in do-it-yourself equipment in labs. To help others get started making their own equipment, DeRisi Lab maintains the 3D Printables website, an online library of downloadable STL files of viruses and lab equipment. Read more about how the DeRisi Lab uses its uPrint 3D printer here then visit the DeRisi Lab’s 3D Printables website.

#25 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,857 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

3D printers lay down material by making passes in "slices" of material of a certain thickness. The finished surface of the product depends on how many slices are produced at what thickness. It's going to keep getting more precise all the time, so roughness will be reduced more and more, and I think improvements will occur very quickly and with greater accessibility for the home or small business operator.

#26 kruleworld

kruleworld

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Strider

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

The part resolution was not what a modeler would want. Filling with putty would be extensive.

Such was my TDR eleanor body, it had the texture of wood.!

some interesting links
Do your own 3D and get it printed: http://cubify.com/

Article: 3D printers getting cheap enough for home use:
http://www.theaustra...f-1226383853583
(AUD$985 + $195 for Rhino Software) edit: $60 for a filament cartridge. i wonder how many models per cartridge?

You will be able to buy 3D files online to get printed, eg
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13918

If you're really cheap, you can build your own
http://www.fabathome.org/?q=node/10

Edited by kruleworld, 08 November 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#27 kruleworld

kruleworld

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Strider

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

there's a place in San Francisco that is about to put a new printer into service that can do this kind of fine work. Their web site is www.moddler.com. I imagine Shapeways will have this capability soon, too.

i found their 3D model prep document of interest
http://www.moddler.c... Prep 01.02.pdf

#28 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I need to read up on how 3D printing works....how is the material loaded into the printer--thin sheets of plastic? I can understand how the software probably works, but have no idea how the mechanical aspects work..

#29 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,303 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I need to read up on how 3D printing works....how is the material loaded into the printer--thin sheets of plastic? I can understand how the software probably works, but have no idea how the mechanical aspects work..

I think one of the links posted has some video, but what I recall seeing is a talcum powder like, well, powder which is deposited in thin layers, then a liquid binding agent is added (not sure if that's during or after) to unify the individual layers.

#30 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

feel like giving 3d printing a shot heres your shot the frame is completely free its ready to print all you have to do is download the file and upload it to either Shapeways.com or Imaterialize.com

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34181

Posted Image

#31 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

This 1/24 body shell (the rest is scratchbuilt) was printed by Shapeways for Pico Elgin from his own design files. Cost was about $30. Photo from yesterday's Southeastern NNL.

Posted Image

#32 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Awesome. Love that car too.

#33 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

This 1/24 body shell (the rest is scratchbuilt) was printed by Shapeways for Pico Elgin from his own design files. Cost was about $30. Photo from yesterday's Southeastern NNL.

Posted Image

thats very cool

#34 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

I found this today, check it out. You can get a doll printed of yourself!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/11/3631874/japan-3d-printer-photo-booth

#35 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thought this was pretty cool..some large scale 3D printing...

http://www.dailymail...ous-scenes.html

#36 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

http://www.popsci.co...d-printed-model

#37 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Wow, $99K+ for a model, even at 1/3 scale. That would put a couple nice muscle cars in the garage with change. It does show however that the technology is here and maturing rapidly.

Edited by bbowser, 15 November 2012 - 09:02 AM.