#21 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

love builds like this cant wait for more, more, more,,,,,,,,,,,,, awesome job!

#22 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Any idea what color you might be using for this?

Charlie Larkin

I only recently decided to paint the exterior a medium blue. I hadn't thought about it but that's odd for me!

#23 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Any updates?

#24 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Any updates?

I've been crazy busy the past few weeks. I've been out of work and my job search has progressed. I went on two interviews last week so I'm hoping to get some positive news soon.  And of course that comes before hobbies!

I am going to get some quality time at the bench tomorrow. Maybe I'll have something to post.

#25 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

IMG_2658-vi.jpg

I asked for suggestions on colors last evening and Dan and Jacky came to my aid on the Spotlight board. Using their ideas, here we are in beige and green. Everything is just mocked up, you can even see the blue tape in some of the shots. And I haven't started weathering and final detailing, but I now am in the home stretch.

I am especially stoked about the 'dog house'. These projects take a life of their own. TJ is my dog and the roof shingles are sand paper cut into individual shingles and glued on just like you'd do a 1:1 house roof. TJ is my dog.

I did glue everything in the interior today, no pictures because it looks just like the mockup only you can dump it upside down and nothing falls. I still am having fun creating a lot of little details. A far cry from my original scope of a curbside with blacked out windows.

IMG_2655-vi.jpg

I decided to leave the roof rack white. It will get a bit of rust. Originally I was going to do the area below the windows in green, but went for the wider lower section instead. It's not exactly straight around the wheel well, it's supposed to be brush paint.

IMG_2659-vi.jpg

Front view shows the completed air conditioner taped in place. The tool box was also scratchbuilt as was the gas can holder. I modified the cans a bit to make the two of them different.

IMG_2656-vi.jpg

Rear view includes the little back porch. I will leave the diamond plate white, but it will get dirtied up.

I painted the bike today and just placed it there for the photo. It is larger than I imagined. It's the one that came in the old Dodge van kit. Is it to scale?

So that's today's progress. It's coming along and once I added color it came alive for me. There is still a lot of work to do, but it's fun again!

#26 wraith

wraith

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Full Name:Darrick Aulner

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

way cool!

some very outstanding work!

#27 cobra98

cobra98

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Full Name:Joe

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Very Nice, looks great!!

#28 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Today's work...  I concentrated on finishing up some interior details. There was a spot on  the counter just screaming for a coffee maker. So I took a measuring tape to ours and duplicated it in scale. The only difference is that ours is black and I decided to paint this one antique white to show off the details that would've gotten lost if I painted it black. Also, I wanted to contrast with the microwave next to it.

The coffeemaker is nothing more than some Evergreen sheet scraps. The bottom of it is a bit of basswood. The printed controls came from Jim's Mini Site, they were on a microwave oven so I cut out what I needed. The burner is a small headlight lens painted flat black.  I like to take pictures  because I see things I don't in person. I will need to sand down the lid handle on top a bit.

IMG_2665-vi.jpg

The coffee cup is lead from a mess set cast for 1/35 scale military modelers. I went to an IPMS show to look for neat stuff and found it. I also have the coffee pot that I'm working on from the same set. There are also dishes that will make it onto the counter and into the sink. I have two cups and just didn't want to have two white ones on the counter so I found this tiny little decal. I don't know what it is, but it passes for a character cup.

I didn't get a ton done today, but I'm pleased with what I've got. I'm not working by the hour, I enjoyed my afternoon.

#29 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

IMG_2675-vi.jpg

Let's call the interior DONE!  Finished this up last evening.

Here's the overall scene. I was very careful not to over do it. I wanted it to look like a camper one of us was using, say to travel to Hershey and Carslile, not something from "Hoarders". The counter doesn't look much worse than the one in my house in the morning! At this point everything is glued in place.

I dirtied up the floor a bit, it was just too white. I added the single shoe, simply because I only had one! You know those big bags of random parts and junk you find at model shows? Don't throw away the pure junk and broken parts. One of those was a 1/25 scale leg. I liberated the shoe from it.

IMG_2674-vi.jpg

Counter view... the coffee maker is in place. I made the coffee pot last night. I didn't know what to use for the clear section and was looking for clear sprue, but nothing was big enough. Then it hit me.. a clear drinking straw was just the right size! I added some painted coffee in the bottom. The top is some round thing from my parts box that was the right size and the top had an interesting indent, not a lot different from my own 1:1 coffee pot. I added half a staple for the handle and sprayed it flat black. The inside is full of clear window glue right now. It will be hazy until it dries clear. I used the dishes and cups from that 1/35 scale military detail set. Silverware... there's a fork on the plate, knife and bottle opener on the counter top and a spoon in the sink. They came from a Detail Master photo etch sheet. They are tiny! Do you know how tough it is to make a knife that small look dirty? LOL

The food on the plate is just green putty. The napkin is scrunched up rolling paper. I think it was Terry Jessee that once gave the tip that rolling paper is thin enough to be 1/25 scale paper. I will add a roll of paper towels to the wall above the sink and she's done.

IMG_2672-vi.jpg

Last view for today.. the sink has two plates and a cup, along with the spoon. Note that you will look at all of this through the windows, and the top section will come off too. There are a few things I'm trying not to redo since they'll look fine through glass. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with the project.

The above was done last evening. I was too busy today and through the weekend, so I will move on to weathering the body next week. Until then!

Edited by Tom Geiger, 07 December 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#30 Randy D

Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hi Tom,   This is a great project!!   The interior is awesome with all the neat details.  The missing trim on the outside is nice touch.   

Randy

#31 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Very nice work, Tom.

Charlie Larkin

#32 baloney

baloney

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Swanson

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

i love the dodge vans.

#33 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

That looks just too cool...Excellent work...I absolutely love it...

Edited by kilrathy10, 09 December 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#34 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

IMG_2755-vi.jpg

Here's  some progress pix, note that everything is just mocked up and some items are taped in place to get a sense of overall look and feel. This afternoon was spent weathering the body and top side accessories. I like to take a lot of pictures to review the build because I see a lot of things that I don't see in person.

IMG_2756-vi.jpg

Rear view - the little back porch is done. I've pretty much built up the Yamaha motorcycle, then I found I had a resin copy of a smaller Honda scooter. That fits more into the size I was looking for. It will be tied up to the railing. I'm also putting a spare tire up there.  While I was rediscovering resin I didn't know I had, I also found a cooler that was quickly painted and put into the interior. The windows all have glass in them now and are ready to mount.

IMG_2757-vi.jpg

Front view- A/C unit will be put up higher. I need to see it's relationship to the closet inside the camper. The trailer tongue and chassis haven't been weathered yet. I ran out of steam today!

IMG_2759-vi.jpg

The  bare side of the unit. The small hole towards the front will be the water supply inlet.

IMG_2762-vi.jpg

Top View- The weathering on the rack was done by using pastel chalks and Dull Cote to paint the rust on. Once it was done, I then gave it a dusting of flat white to get the look I was hoping to achieve. Then I rusted the bolt heads and hooks. The dog house won't be glued on, it will come off to view the interior.

So next time at the bench I need to weather up the chassis, and then we can start final assembly.

#35 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Pretty cool,Might be a little late but a nice touch would be an old fake company name thats wearing off on the side with no windows.Make it look like it had a second life as a plumbing van or something.

#36 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

Made a bit o' progress on the camper in the last few days. Last time I showed the weathered body, this time the underside is done.

IMG_2801-vi.jpg

Here's the rear view with tail lights and license plate. I put them up high since there would be cargo down below. I used the Dodge tail lights from the kit since a 1:1 convertor may have done the same. The NJ Trailer plate was on a sheet Bart Orlans did. The Acme Platemaker doesn't include specialty plates like this. I may be peeling it back off to make a backing plate and include a small light.

IMG_2803-vi.jpg

The chassis got my usual rusty underside treatment with a bit of oil under the differential. I may tone this back a bit, it's tough to see the results until it all dries.  The Dodge van kit lacks shock absorbers. I had added them to the purple pickup, but may skip it here... but the more I look at it! You know how that goes.

IMG_2804-vi.jpg

Most of the accessories are done and ready. The gas cans started out as the same 2 part can, but I modified them to different styles by changing the shape of one and adding different style handles.

IMG_2805-vi.jpg

Here's the big home made tool box. This is the second one of these I've made for a project. The other one is in the back of my '65 Chevy pickup. I weathered it over the Duplicolor green, then misted some gloss over that for the effect.

IMG_2802-vi.jpg

The trailer will have one suitably worn white wall.  I put aside the Yamaha motorcycle since it was a bit large for the effect I desired on the back deck. Instead I found I had an SE LTD casting of a smaller Honda cycle that I'm working on now.  I'm in the home stretch but there's much left to do, and I keep adding things to the project!  But we should finish 'er up this year.

Edited by Tom Geiger, 20 December 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#37 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Pretty cool.

#38 Jzaaijer

Jzaaijer

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Full Name:Jeroen Zaaijer

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

What a great project! I love it.

#39 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

IMG_2909-vi.jpg

I finished up the windows last night.  I was having issues working with the jalousie windows on the doors. I kept losing the little wedges and invisible panes of glass! So I kinda walked away until I could focus again (a learned behavior!) and worked on my other projects. I got back to it yesterday and conquered my mental block!  The side wall casement window was previously made and just installed. The windows are open but are glued in place that way. Maybe I'll hinge them next time.  The roof rack and sky light are permanently mounted at this  point in the build.

IMG_2911-vi.jpg

Rear view shows an old house dual double hung window used. I am going to redo the license plate. I have a frame and light already made for it. Just a matter of getting it together and mounted.

The interior is done, but I still have a lot of little details I'd like to add as I finish up. 

#40 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Any updated on this one?