Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,090 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

IMG_2902-vi.jpg

I got my projects mixed up and it finished up like this!  Actually I haven't done any work on it since the last post. I need to get 'er done!

#42 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:27 AM

IMG_0391-vi.jpg

I was thinking about this project and the chance I can get it finished for the few upcoming shows I will attend.  The left side had been rather bare and uninteresting so I had been saving travel sticker images from eBay and had planned on printing them out.  Then I got the Revell 49 Mercury woody wagon and the decals I needed were there! Score again for procrastination!

IMG_391-vi.jpg

Overall the decals came from the '49 Merc Woody, and I believe some of the surfing ones came from the '46 Ford woody.  The small bumper sticker strips are actually the headers from license plate decals (Ski Utah).  The scotty was on the '37 Ford pickup sheet.

I did this work a while ago and just saw I hadn't posted it.  So here it is.  And I do need to get this one finished.  Part of my hesitation is that once I mate the body and chassis, much of the interior work will only be visible through the grimy windows and if I leave the roof dog house as removable.

#43 MGL

MGL

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Latham

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

I just discovered this one, I like it a lot. The finish on the tool box is spot on but the A/C is over the top!

#44 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

IMG_2803-vi.jpg

IMG_2805-vi.jpg

There are many ways people weather and rust, but I'd like to know your technique. It's pretty realistic.

#45 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,694 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

looking cool !

#46 chunkypeanutbutter

chunkypeanutbutter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • Full Name:Miles Garrod

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

So glad that these interesting necro-threads come back to life.

#47 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:47 AM

There are many ways people weather and rust, but I'd like to know your technique. It's pretty realistic.

Thank you!  There are two different techniques there.  Both involve an Earth tone chalk set and Testors Dullcote. In both I sand the chalk sticks to make dust.

The chassis is my "two brush paint technique".  I start by spraying some Dullcote into a small cup. With brush one, I paint a small area with Dullcote.  Then with brush two, I dip it dry into the dust.  Take that and paint, like water color, into the still wet Dull cote.  You can work with it as the dry brush gets wet, but it's best to clean that brush and keep it dry so not to ruin your dust pile.

The work box was scratch built from Evergreen sheet stock. Same two brushes but instead of painting with the dust for a smooth look, the dust is mashed into surface to give it texture and a 3D look.  This can be repeated in layers to create more depth.  The final act that gives it that sheen is that I took Testors Semi-gloss and shot it upward in the air, letting it fall down onto the part in drops.  

A few notes -  you will need to dedicate a few brushes to this, since you are going to ruin them for painting.  I clip the end of them to ID my weathering brushes.

Second, it's not an instant thing to get good results.  First, you have maybe eight different dust colors. The final look is much different than the color of each chalk stick.  Think of this like doing a water color painting.  You will figure out which colors to use, and what colors to use as accents over those.  

And final thought.  You will not see your results as you are working.  It looks very different wet than what your final result will be.  It's better to do a bit and walk away to let it dry to see what you have.  You can always add more later.  It is very easy to over do this.  Less is more.

And do some research on how things actually rust.  You can find a million photos on the Internet of rust and chassis and such. I have albums of photos I saved for reference and use them often.

The beauty of this is that it forms a good durable surface.  The standard use of chalk dust was to brush it dry over a military model, but that wears off quickly with handling.  My rust is forever!

Good luck.  It's fun.

#48 Ken Gilkeson

Ken Gilkeson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Gilkeson

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:18 AM

great build.  ;-))

#49 mustang1989

mustang1989

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Shaw

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:49 PM

Now this.......... is just totally wild Tom! Great job on the idea, planning and building. Wow!

#50 426-Hemi

426-Hemi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Full Name:John Patton

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:03 AM

Not a fan of this sort of thing, BUT GAWD it looks GREAT........... I myself just could not have brought myself to cutting up a Dodge van, but you done an awesome job at what I couldn'tve done!!!!!!!!!!

NICE work! LOVE ABSOLUTELY LOVE the weathering job!

#51 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

Not a fan of this sort of thing, BUT GAWD it looks GREAT........... I myself just could not have brought myself to cutting up a Dodge van, but you done an awesome job at what I couldn'tve done!!!!!!!!!!

NICE work! LOVE ABSOLUTELY LOVE the weathering job!

IMG_2538-vi.jpg

Thanks John! See photo above,  the camper body came about in building the purple pickup some 10-20 (lost count!) years ago.  It was sitting in the junk box and often in my paint booth using it as a paint stand all these years.  One day I held it up and thought I'd do something with it.  So it's pretty much a project from scrap. Less frugal guys would've tossed the van body (missing both ends) years ago!

I haven't had time to build at all this year.  The start of the year also starts the heavy NNL East prep period,  and I went to GSL on the tail end of that.  With all that behind me, I might just get to sit at the bench.... once my yard gets set up for the season!

#52 426-Hemi

426-Hemi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Full Name:John Patton

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

Nice Tom!

I'd LOVE to get me hands on a useable Dodge van like that... BUT GAWD they're pricey these days! Finding the things is the other trick, they're old kits so..... I'm dreamin..... LOL I guess thats what I get for being a Dodge guy!

NICE work tho! Looks really good!

Edited by 426-Hemi, 06 May 2015 - 03:01 PM.

#53 gatorincebu

gatorincebu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Full Name:Marc Langevin AKA Gator

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

Really cool project. And a great way to clean out the parts bins. i like all the little things you did and the stuff that you added to it.

Be Well

Gator