Simple brick walled space for pics
Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:59 AM
Just two walls, old doors, and a concrete floor. I'll add some mid-century trade tools as I get the urge once the base itself is all done, but I'll keep it pretty simple so that I can set about any model on it to snap a couple pics that are more interesting than just the basic black or white backdrop.
The foundation is a walnut box that I'd made years ago. Nothing special, but it was about the perfect size and I wasn't using it for anything important.
Pics, so far...
The walls just have their base color in this last pic. I'll go over them with more shades today and hopefully bring it all to life. I've also got some hardware for the doors in the works, and I'm planning to cap the walls off top and sides to give it a finished look.
Hope ya like it so far.
Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:49 AM
Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:42 AM
Jim - Yepper...regular ol' foam core for the walls, with most of the paper stripped off the working side. It's also doubled up, adhered with spray adhesive, since once the lines are cut the material loses most of it's capacity for holding itself straight. I've pinned the corner together with toothpicks, which turns out to work pretty well. I'll drill holes in the base and mount more there, and press the walls down onto them as a unit when things are close to complete.
The floor is simply a base coat of gray acrylic, followed by tamping on a dark gray with a crumpled up plastic grocery bag. Then a thin black wash over the whole thing. At one point, I worked in a shop in an old warehouse and I was trying to get it's look/feel. I think I got it pretty close...just needs a healthy build-up of dust in the corners. lol.
Got the tone variations done. Now I'm just playing around with mortar effects. Hopefully I'll sort out which process I like and be able to get that finished by tonight.
Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:54 AM
Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:52 AM
Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:52 AM
Edited by vaughn, 10 November 2012 - 12:14 AM.
Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:33 PM
This is really coming together nicely.......
Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:09 PM
And I now realize you hand scribed EACH individual brick? Holy ######!
SUPER, SUPER nice!
Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:30 PM
Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:24 PM
No background in architecture, other than a deep appreciation of it. I've always tended to pay attention to the details in old buildings and have spent some time as a finish carpenter. I'm sure neither has hurt. Good to know I am getting it right, in either case!
Scratched my head for a minute and came up with this for a top extension. I'll be able to remove it so I can still place it where I'd intended when I'm not using it as something to take pics of model cars on. I need to let the brick red dry up real well then I'll give it the same treatments as the other walls.
I'm thinking I'd like to add just a few basic utility type details and maybe one unusual feature to set it apart from the norm, and call it done. This is really just a test run of the basic processes and a pic prop, so simple is better. I should have a final update in a couple/few days.
Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:32 PM
Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:23 PM
Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:34 AM
Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:33 AM
Very, very well done.
Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:21 AM
Brad, the new bricks are done. I have a handle/latch made but it doesn't really fit the look and feel of the rest of the piece now. So if my hands will cooperate today I'm hoping to tackle the door hardware, and install some conduit. The printing plate sheet will be shrinking a bit on this one.
I need to play around with different lighting to make sure that my camera is able to do it's job right. Here's a shot that shows what I mean - if I go too bright then I lose the "look" but I also need enough that the camera has enough to take a clear image (which this certainly isn't all that clear). I'll figure it out, I think.
Also played around with some low light. If I can get these to be clearer, I think I'll be able to get some pretty interesting shots.
Yesterday, I scratched an itch on a new (to me) trick - using that floppy craft foam that comes in 2mm thick letter size sheets. I'd like to avoid the typical scene where it's a typical car guy garage, but it sure does need some clutter of some kind. So I decided I'd make up some guitar gear. This is the first attempt, and honestly it's not a very good one. lol. But, it gave me some good mistakes. The next one will be much better, I think.