#21 TedsModeling

TedsModeling

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Full Name:Ted Bowe

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Dave - you're in a position that very few of us are. You actually work on race cars and know all about the products and technology and your excellent model detail reflects that.  I will probably never see a Mark Williams 11" rear end in person, but I know from what's available to us, the TDR reproduction is a thing of beauty.

This is a photo of a 1/8 scale TDR rear end with the disc brake and hard mount options.

mwphoto2.jpg

Their turbo chargers show the turbine veins, bolt holes are provided in heads, header flanges, pulleys and many other parts, their 4bbl Holly is a thing of beauty for 1/16 scale. There are many quality resin products available, but most don't have nearly the detail of TDR items. Are any of these products (especially from the kit manufacturers) true to life? I doubt it. But can I tell the difference? I just want as much detail in the parts I can get to make it look realistic to me. TDR and a few resin guys do it.

#22 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

ted, let me ask you a question. that's a mark williams 11 in rear, right? did you know that mark williams makes a 9 inch rear? are they both rears? why, yes. are they both mark williams rears? most certainly. do they look the same? absolutely not. do they perform the same? absolutely not.
but, that's something you happen to know about. so of course they're not the same. the same goes for these heads. while you think the only difference is the valve angle. it is only the thing that is used to i.d. the head. just like an 11inch is not a 9 inch rear.

so, are both of these things cyl. head? yes. are they both chevy cyl. heads? yes. again that's where the similarities end. the physical size of the heads are different ( the 18 being much taller). the port locations are different (the 18 intake port location is changed and the 18 exhaust port location is changed). even the intake mounting surface angle is changed (from 10 degrees to 5 degrees on the 18).

you say that you just want enough detail to make it look realistic to you. well those heads are as different, to me, as the two rears i just mentioned. just because you haven't learned the differences in the heads that makes it o.k.? how about all of you take a few minutes and do a google search on the heads and learn the differences. all i asked was to have the wording on the part changed to reflect the actual part that is there.

#23 DaytonaTim

DaytonaTim

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Floyd

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Guys, we really need to show Brodie a little more respect for his thread.  It is his thread about his build, it really is not about the accuracy of TDR's parts.

If someone wants to start a separate thread discussing how TDR does its thing, the guys at TDR would be more than happy to join in.

I post this comment not because I think I have some authority on MCM site (heck I don't even think I have any authority in my own house)........ but because I feel bad that a possible error on my part caused this thread to run off on some tangent subject.

Let's get the thread back on Brodie's build, OK?

#24 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

I second this, start a new thread if you want to discuss the merits of TDR parts and let them respond.

#25 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Were you able to get the intake to fit properly? If so, any pics? I'm thinking about doing this myself and would like to see how it turns out.

I ordered a SBC single 4bbl carb setup (intake manifold, Holley 4bbl carb, thermostat housing, and distributor) from TDR Innovations last week and it finally arrived! I bought it to install it on the 302 engine from the 1/12 '69 Camaro Z28 kit. I did a dry mock-up of how it will install, and it's actually pretty close! I'll have to modify the base of the engine assembly where the manifold will rest to make the manifold sit flush with the engine, but in the end I think it will work out! Oh yeah, and Shapeways company did a fantastic job with making this part, as did TDR in designing it! Very detailed indeed. Just some lines from the process of shaping the part that I have to sand out, but other than that, I'm very happy with it!