Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Dodge Monaco

Car Crazy 81

Heres my newest project that i'd picked up today at Michaels. The first order of business with this build is ditch the kits inaccurate frame im kinda of in a rut on that one. I'd test fitted a frame from a Revell 69 Charger looks like it wont work.

1977DodgeMonaco.jpg

1977DodgeMonaco2.jpg

Edited by Car Crazy 81

• 1 month later...

Is this going to be a mostly stock build? I have one in the makings here that will be sleeper stock and it's good to know about the chassis. I may just build mine out of the box as I want to get it finished but it would be nice to do one of these up really nicely as they do not seem to be too popular ( 'cause they are a four door I guess ) and to see one nicely done will be unique. I plan on a vinyl roof for mine but getting the rear deck top trim placed correctly is proving to be a bit of a challenge for my old eyes and shaking hands.. :mellow:

Very cool Project Rick, I'll be doing something similar with the AMT 71 Charger and my MPC '76 Road Runner.

"Out of curiousity what was the engine color for 1977 & 1978."

This I can answer, your using the 440 from the AMT '71 Charger Right, below is a U-Code 440 powered '77 Dodge Monaco (this one is A38 police package mind you). As you can see it is Chrysler Corporate Blue.

plymouth067.jpg

plymouth069ucode44078Fury.jpg

You'll note that the owner of that car has the air cleaner lid flipped upside down.

Nick

That is one clean example there Nick. I'd love to own that one.

Flipping the lid over resulted in the most ungodly howl ever heard when you floored it. We convinced ourselves the cars accelerated better that way, but truth be told we all liked to hear that noise.

G

Flipping the lid over resulted in the most ungodly howl ever heard when you floored it. We convinced ourselves the cars accelerated better that way, but truth be told we all liked to hear that noise.

G

One of the guys on one of the Fury Forums owns this one, ex Nevada Highway Patrol if I remember right, was always and unmarked. Glad I finally know the story on the flipped lid.

Nick

G

The bad guys definitely knew we were coming...

I can still hear the ungodly --but beautiful-- sound of a ThermoQuad-equipped 440 being romped-on ; that vacuum sound was unreal !

Nick Winter is right about the engine colour . To add to his reply : just grab a spray can of Chrysler Engine Blue ( coll : "1972 Blue") from the auto parts store , as it's the right shade for '72-'83 Chrysler engines of all displacements ( 198 / 225 ; 318/340/360 ; 400/440 ).

Also : Cars destined for California were sans the *dreaded* Electronic Lean Burn computer . In its stead , a full compliment of smog devices were provided ( A.I.R. Pump , EGR , single exhaust / catalytic converter ) , whereas the Lean Burn cars were free of smog junk , as the computer was supposed to work favourably to reduce emissions (apparently , Jerry 'Bald Eagle' Brown was completely unaware of this).

Nice work you've completed so far !

I love these cars!

I remember my favorite of all of my Dad's unmarked cars, a 77 Fury, a mean patrol car.

I also remember that every patrol car I ever saw (carbed ones obviously) had the Air Cleaner lid flipped over.

I did the same thing with my cars later in life:)

I agree, a 44o w/ athermoquad makes an awosome sound.

In 1989 I was living in California and bought a 77 Monaco that used to be on the Simon & Simon show at Universal Studios for $500.

440, former CHP car, I loved it, wish I'd never sold it.

I've built numerous versions of these cars and I use the AMT Road Runner/GTX frames, I just move the front clip forward a hair.

Your build looks great, can't wait to see it.

G

You got that right! It actually made a miniscule improvement in performance because it enabled more air flow.

But the biggest factor was the sound. It scared the beejeezus out of the Harry Highschool Street Racers and Boulevard Daredevils! Contributed greatly to the legend of the Mopar Monster Pursuit Cars.... and we all loved to hear that noise!!! :)

^_^ Secret Sidebar: I ran public safety for the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb for many years. These Monacos/Furys ('77 to '78) were my favorite ride. Our fleet manager was an old hot rodder and roundy-round racer. He always 'tweaked up' the fastest one in the fleet for me ... especially for use on Pikes Peak during race week. That included a flipped air cleaner cover and daily filter changes. You haven't lived until you've roared up the dirt road mountain, 5,000 foot elevation change in 12.5 miles with 156 turns and no guardrails. The roar of the dual exhausts and that unmuffled four barrel ... well, probably the only time you'd see/hear the general public cheer a full-tilt hot run by a Sheriff's road patrol car.