#21 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I can still hear the ungodly --but beautiful-- sound of a ThermoQuad-equipped 440 being romped-on ; that vacuum sound was unreal !

Nick Winter is right about the engine colour . To add to his reply : just grab a spray can of Chrysler Engine Blue ( coll : "1972 Blue") from the auto parts store , as it's the right shade for '72-'83 Chrysler engines of all displacements ( 198 / 225 ; 318/340/360 ; 400/440 ).

Also : Cars destined for California were sans the *dreaded* Electronic Lean Burn computer . In its stead , a full compliment of smog devices were provided ( A.I.R. Pump , EGR , single exhaust / catalytic converter ) , whereas the Lean Burn cars were free of smog junk , as the computer was supposed to work favourably to reduce emissions (apparently , Jerry 'Bald Eagle' Brown was completely unaware of this).

Nice work you've completed so far !

#22 Car Crazy 81

Car Crazy 81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Heres the progress i made on the Monaco.

1977DodgeMonaco4_zps46ffc36a.jpg

Edited by Car Crazy 81, 05 January 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#23 Car Crazy 81

Car Crazy 81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Heres the engine in paint i'd used Plasti-Cote Chrysler Blue.

005_zps43cf0f82.jpg

Edited by Car Crazy 81, 05 January 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#24 Bonekrosha

Bonekrosha

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Full Name:Michael R. Winters

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

I love these cars!

I remember my favorite of all of my Dad's unmarked cars, a 77 Fury, a mean patrol car.

I also remember that every patrol car I ever saw (carbed ones obviously) had the Air Cleaner lid flipped over.

I did the same thing with my cars later in life:)

I agree, a 44o w/ athermoquad makes an awosome sound.

In 1989 I was living in California and bought a 77 Monaco that used to be on the Simon & Simon show at Universal Studios for $500.

440, former CHP car, I loved it, wish I'd never sold it.

I've built numerous versions of these cars and I use the AMT Road Runner/GTX frames, I just move the front clip forward a hair.

Your build looks great, can't wait to see it.

#25 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Flipping the lid over resulted in the most ungodly howl ever heard when you floored it. We convinced ourselves the cars accelerated better that way, but truth be told we all liked to hear that noise.

G

You got that right!  It actually made a miniscule improvement in performance because it enabled more air flow. 

But the biggest factor was the sound.  It scared the beejeezus out of the Harry Highschool Street Racers and Boulevard Daredevils!  Contributed greatly to the legend of the Mopar Monster Pursuit Cars.... and we all loved to hear that noise!!!   :)

^_^  Secret Sidebar:  I ran public safety for the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb for many years.  These Monacos/Furys ('77 to '78) were my favorite ride.  Our fleet manager was an old hot rodder and roundy-round racer.  He always 'tweaked up' the fastest one in the fleet for me ... especially for use on Pikes Peak during race week.  That included a flipped air cleaner cover and daily filter changes.  You haven't lived until you've roared up the dirt road mountain, 5,000 foot elevation change in 12.5 miles with 156 turns and no guardrails.  The roar of the dual exhausts and that unmuffled four barrel ... well, probably the only time you'd see/hear the general public cheer a full-tilt hot run by a Sheriff's road patrol car.

#26 Car Crazy 81

Car Crazy 81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Its been awhile since i did anything with this build it was time to dig it out. I'd painted the body & oversprayed the frame with Krylon Smoke Gray.

1977DodgeMonaco8.jpg

1977DodgeMonaco9.jpg

#27 Car Crazy 81

Car Crazy 81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

#28 Car Crazy 81

Car Crazy 81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

I wasn't digging the Smoke Gray paint so i stripped the body and repainted it with Dupli-Color Graphite Gray Mica which looks better.

#29 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

I've been waiting for more on this.

Did I see you cut the interior side panels from the DOH interior tub and mate them to the Charger platform?

That's the last issue I need to resolve before starting on my build. I'm thinking I might just replicate my first ride. It was a '78 that came to the district from the Traffic Division. It was straight off the Missouri Highway Patrol order so was equipped with that lovely 440. Who ever thought a brand new, straight off Field Training, red blooded 'merican young 'un should be driving that beast. Well my sergeant did! I loved it. 

G

#30 Car Crazy 81

Car Crazy 81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

I finally got the Monaco on all fours still debating on the wheels.

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

#31 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

:)

#32 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,387 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

Glad your back on this project Rick. Steel wheels look good...