#41 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

IMO, THIS is scratch built - pure and simple. And I am in awe everytime I ck updates

http://www.modelcars...opic=53895&st=0

No question. That body is scratchbuilt! (And, amazing!)

B)

#42 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

No question. That body is scratchbuilt! (And, amazing!)

B)

I there was not a WIP thread, I would not believe it was scratch built

#43 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

As far as bad grammar, I could care less, I've got a build to finish, it's a nascar.

And now I'm going to kill my self! :blink:

I can't resist. I just can't So far, no one has caught Harry's elbow in the ribs about "I could care less," which means, obviously, that you COULD care less. The phrase is "I COULDN'T care less."

Further, you don't build a nascar. NASCAR is an acronym for the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing that uses all caps, and should be an adjective used in a phrase such as "I build NASCAR race cars." Otherwise, you're saying, "I build the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing."

Nanny-nanny-boo-boo. :lol:

As I said, I couldn't resist.

Edited by sjordan2, 19 November 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#44 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,784 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

We'll just have to agree to disagree about using "build" as a noun, Harry.

Not just me. The dictionary disagrees with you, too.

#45 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Full Name:Drew

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Further, you don't build a nascar. NASCAR is an acronym for the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing that uses all caps, and should be an adjective used in a phrase such as "I build NASCAR race cars." Otherwise, you're saying, "I build the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing."

That's what I've been saying for years.

It would be the same as calling this "an NHRA".

Posted Image

#46 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Not just me. The dictionary disagrees with you, too.

Insofar as "build" is concerned, I would submit that nonstandard variations are common in jargon across a multitude of special interests, industries and eras, and may not always be found in a dictionary. Within our community, I think "build" is an acceptable noun.

For example, trying to "grow" your business or the economy is not a traditional verb, but it has caught on.

And is it scratchbuilt, scratch-built or scratch built? Things to ponder about.

Edited by sjordan2, 19 November 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#47 rel14

rel14

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Layman

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

why is a driveway, some place you park? why is a parkway. someplace you drive,? why are they called aPARTments,
when there all stuck together? Who was the first person to pick up that round red thing,,and say this is a good APPLE? Why don't the Stars come out every night? and on and on....

#48 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

...Please forgive my poor Spelling, I'm just plain dumb

Well, you ARE a Marine.

Just kidding. Ex-Army here. Had to give you a little jab. We all had a job to do and we did it. Thank you for your service.

Lee

#49 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Insofar as "build" is concerned, I would submit that nonstandard variations are common in jargon across a multitude of special interests, industries and eras, and may not always be found in a dictionary. Within our community, I think "build" is an acceptable noun.

For example, trying to "grow" your business or the economy is not a traditional verb, but it has caught on.

And is it scratchbuilt, scratch-built or scratch built? Things to ponder about.

I realize that "build" is accepted as a noun among many modelers, all I'm saying is that it's not grammatically correct, as Drew initially pointed out. And as far as Model Cars Magazine is concerned, it's "scratchbuilt." I have to edit copy all the time because some people say "scratch-built" and some say "scratch built." But our "official" version is all one word, no hyphen.

#50 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Well, I just received another email, it seems as though I've insulted a Scratch builder!

The thing is, the definition of "scratchbuilding" isn't a matter of opinion, it's a word that has a specific definition and when used, means a certain thing. But when misused, it drives real scratchbuilders crazy. It's like a person baking a cake from a Betty Crocker mix and frosting it with frosting out of a can and entering it in a bake-off and saying they made it from scratch. Someone else in the bake-off who actually did make their cake from scratch is not going to be very happy with the Betty Crocker person going around claiming that their cake was made from scratch.

And I used the dictionary in my post because the dictionary is the "referee" as far as correct usage, spelling and grammar. If we didn't have an accepted "official" source, and no rules for grammar, spelling, etc. at all, we'd all be speaking and writing our own version of English, and odds are most of us wouldn't understand each other.

#51 Guest_G Holding_*

Guest_G Holding_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

BUILD IS A SHORT VERSION OF "BUILDUP"

Edited by G Holding, 19 November 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#52 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

BUILD IS A SHORT VERSION OF "BUILDUP"

As in waxy yellow? :lol:

#53 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

I read somewhere that nascar started out as nice car. "You sure got a nascar there." :)

#54 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

And I used the dictionary in my post because the dictionary is the "referee" as far as correct usage, spelling and grammar. If we didn't have an accepted "official" source, and no rules for grammar, spelling, etc. at all, we'd all be speaking and writing our own version of English, and odds are most of us wouldn't understand each other.

And of course, all linguists agree that Engilsh hasn't changed at all since it was first spoken, in its perfectly developed form, and so a dictionary that was valid 200 years ago is still 100% correct in every way today, because it's not how people actually use the language that shapes it over time, but it's an arbitrary, never-changing, rigid standard in a book.

Actually, I'm inside a dog, and it's just too dark to read the damned dictionary anyway. :P

#55 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

And of course, all linguists agree that Engilsh hasn't changed at all since it was first spoken, in its perfectly developed form, and so a dictionary that was valid 200 years ago is still 100% correct in every way today, because it's not how people actually use the language that shapes it over time, but it's an arbitrary, never-changing, rigid standard in a book.

Actually, I'm inside a dog, and it's just too dark to read the damned dictionary anyway. :P

Who said language doesn't change over time? Obviously it does, and obviously dictionaries are constantly edited to add new words and remove obsolete ones. But the dictionary is still the recognized source for correct spelling and usage. And by the way, I didn't use a 200-year old dictionary, I used dictionary.com, which I'm pretty sure didn't exist 200 years ago. :rolleyes:

#56 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

The only point I'm trying to make is that if enough people, for long enough, use 'build' as a noun to mean 'something being built', it most likely will become accepted usage and make it into the book of rules. In the recent past, several verbs have taken on usage as nouns, and nouns have added verb usages to their definitions (in the less abridged dictionaries, anyway). I agree that precision in language use IS important, and writing within the accepted framework of today's language is essential for clear communication, but if enough people accept a particular usage, it BECOMES the accepted usage.

#57 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I think Ace was speaking 'tongue-in-cheek,' which is an ironic or mildly sarcastic version of 'speaker-inside-dog.' :P

"I supplied all the Parts ..."

And, sorry, Michael, but if you supplied "all the parts" to the builder, he is NOT scratchbuilding a model for you. He might be assembling one. He might scratchbuild other portions of it. But if you ~ or anyone else ~ provides "all the parts" he cannot scratchbuilt it. Period.

"Scratchbuilding" is mutually exclusive of any form of 'out of box' or kitbashing or assembling of parts.

B)

#58 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Nope, this is Grammar 101.

#59 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Nope, this is Grammar 101.

It's now Language Theory, and it's a graduate level course.

#60 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Does anyone know of a model car forum around here?

Try looking "Under Glass" or "On the Workbench" or in "Big Boyz" or "Car Kit Reviews" or the Trucks section or "Model Building Q&A," just for starters. This is the "General" section.