Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tiny new Ford engine coming soon...

At an event I attended for work last summer I was able to spend a few minutes behind the wheel of a Euro-spec Focus with the 1.0-liter EcoBoost. It wasn't for very long, but it was pretty promising. The blog post I wrote about the experience is at the link.

http://cgdailydrive.com/a-quick-spin-in-a-euro-spec-ford-focus-with-a-1-0-liter-3-cylinder-ecoboost/

While it's only 70hp or so the 3 cyl engine in my Smart 452 is no slouch. I keep pace on the Interstate, out run them most the time and driven in manual mode runs great. A all new design with eco and turbo should be hot. Dad's Flex with the twin turbo 6 is UNREAL fast.....it's the biggest fastest thing I've driven.

............................................ I wonder what mileage will be like?

Charlie Larkin

That will depend on a lot of inter-related factors, like vehicle weight, rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag, transmission type and number of gears available, etc.

The power-to-displacement ratio is pretty impressive for a production car engine, but production bike engines have been there for a while. The Hyabusa 1299cc engine was rated at approximately 133 horsepower per liter. More interesting, to me, is that in 1955, 1 horsepower per cubic inch was pretty impressive. That's only about 61 horsepower per liter.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Would that fit in a Big Deuce frame?

Just thinking ...

B)

Yeah, if you used big spacer blocks! :lol:

Seriously though... kind of impressive the amount of power they can squeeze out of a tiny engine these days. Not that long ago big honkin' 8 cylinder engines that made 125 HP were considered to be pretty powerful.

While 125 horses is impressive, think of the new 450cc dirtbike motors that push over 50 horsepower stock from a single cylinder engine! Plus that is with no turbo or anything, only fuel injection! Imagine what the factory race bikes can make. . .

While 125 horses is impressive, think of the new 450cc dirtbike motors that push over 50 horsepower stock from a single cylinder engine! Plus that is with no turbo or anything, only fuel injection! Imagine what the factory race bikes can make. . .

Are motorcycle engines subject to the same EPA regs that car engines are subject to?

• 3 weeks later...