Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

We don't have AC Moore, but we have Michael's. You are right, a typical HL is hard to differentiate from the usual Michael's.

The main difference we see around here is that HL carries a much more expansive line of the model car hobby specific tools, supplies, and Testors and Model Master paints. Neither of them carry Tamiya paints.

I find great fun at both stores exploring the other genre hobby stuff to find things I can use at my bench, even though they're not intended for model car applications.

We don't have AC Moore, but we have Michael's. You are right, a typical HL is hard to differentiate from the usual Michael's.

The main difference we see around here is that HL carries a much more expansive line of the model car hobby specific tools, supplies, and Testors and Model Master paints. Neither of them carry Tamiya paints.

I find great fun at both stores exploring the other genre hobby stuff to find things I can use at my bench, even though they're not intended for model car applications.

It's really hard to tell the difference here because they are next door to each other.

I usually go to check out the other genres too. I don't think I've ever bought a model from either store.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Ok, here is what has trickled in over the last few months, most of which has been through trades right here on this forum. The Tall T is brand new, the 1/8 Corvette is an old build with very little painted, the 1/16 Corvette is new, as are all of the 1/25 kits. I also found a 40+ car junkyard and an old partial built Ford C600. The really cool thing is the resin cast 1968 chrysler 300 hardtop. A friend of mine has been working on it for quite sometime. I have seven from the first casting. Bodies, bumpers, tail lights, and complete interiors. These bodies are so thin I cannot tell which is thicker, the resin or the plastic.

post-11097-0-26238300-1391891781_thumb.j

post-11097-0-03545200-1391891783_thumb.j

post-11097-0-72306100-1391891784_thumb.j

post-11097-0-39914300-1391891786_thumb.j

post-11097-0-37045500-1391891788_thumb.j

post-11097-0-30648400-1391891790_thumb.j

A vintage Jag XK120 toy from way back (approximately 1/14 scale), no manufacturer ID, a few parts missing, but a surprisingly accurate body and other features. Opening hood and trunk, but a very minimalistic engine and one-sided hollow tires. I can't decide whether to glue back the basic parts and enjoy it as the toy it is, or try to make it a very nice curbside display model, which wouldn't be overly difficult.

Picture51_zps2543d726.png

dale, it never ends, you are hooked [i did the same novice, un-informed, I don't have a problem approach :D ]

just roll with it................easier to buy than build, but the satisfaction of a good build eases the pain of over buying :)

[over buying is a myth, there is never enough, but I had to put it out there to keep things in context, lol]

I think it would be just as appealing kept original Skip. Looks like it would need a lot of detailing to make it sing as a model, but an awesome throwback as is.

I tend to side with you. But it's such a well-proportioned model....unbelievably so for its era...and I prefer big scale... hmmm

Edited by sjordan2

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...