Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On tax-free weekend, I grabbed my Humbrol work-station (very nice product and makes my life a fair bit easier,) the AMT '61 Ford and the cans of Diamond Green Phoenician Yellow Testors lacquer.

While I was out at an ultimately unsuccessful job interview Tuesday, I stopped at the hobby shop literally around the corner and grabbed the Fifties Aqua and a fresh pack of sanding film.

DSCF0322_zps40891331.jpg

Charlie Larkin

Cant get it through spotmodel either?

I did, once. The owner ( spotmodel ) is very slow in shipping ( took more than 6wks to actually ship my order ) & just too expensive as he ( spot model ) is a 3rd party seller. Cost me close to $160au for 9 bottles of paint. Can't justify the price. Real shame because I love their paint. I'm guessing, thanks to Royal Mail, Hiroboy/Zero Paints has lost a LOT of International business. ?

Got a real decent '60 Falcon bumper/grille for my sedan delivery. Maybe I'll indulge my masochistic streak and separate the two, and put the factory roll pan behind the bumper... or maybe I'll just drill out and replace the headlights.

14811853278_41741fe423.jpg

Just a heads up. Not that it makes a big difference. But, do you know that Ford never offered a Falcon sedan delivery for 1960? The Falcon version of the sedan delivery was introduced in 1961. A year after the Ranchero and other Falcons. 1960 was the last year for the fullsize, Ranch Wagon based Ford Courier sedan delivery. So if you build a '60 Falcon sedan delivery, it will be a "phantom" rather than being base on the real thing. Why I said, "Not that it makes a big difference." Is that I think phantoms like that are very cool.

1997 a friend and I went to Oldsmobile's 100 Anniersary in Lansing, MI. There we saw several early 50's Oldsmobile sedan deliveries. Now Oldsmobile never offered sedan deliveries in the 50's. But these things looked factory stock. It works because Oldsmobile 76s and 88s shared the GM A body with Chevrolet and Pontiac through '52. And Chevrolet and Pontiac each offered a sedan delivery at the time. So it's very easy to convert one of those over to an Oldsmobile. Correct? No. Cool? Yes! So are 1960 Falcon sedan deliveries. Even cooler yet, would be a Comet or Frontenac sedan delivery.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

60_ranchero1-vi.jpg

Chris, here's my 1960 Ranchero done from an original Craftsman kit, way before the 1961 Ranchero was re-released in the 1990s. I had bought a bag that had two broken Rancheros, and one scorched 1960 Falcon promo missing it's roof, warped badly and hood burned through with a wood burning tool.

The new release of the Ranchero was retooled as a 1960 and the newly done grill comes with separate headlights and turn signals.

1998 a friend and I went to Oldsmobile's 100 Anniersary in Lansing, MI. There we saw several early 50's Oldsmobile sedan deliveries. Now Oldsmobile never offered sedan deliveries in the 50's. But these things looked factory stock. It works because Oldsmobile 76s and 88s shared the GM A body with Chevrolet and Pontiac through '52. And Chevrolet and Pontiac each offered a sedan delivery at the time. So it's very easy to convert one of those over to an Oldsmobile. Correct? No. Cool? Yes! So are 1960 Falcon sedan deliveries. Even cooler yet, would be a Comet or Frontenac sedan delivery.

Scott

Not true. Oldsmobile did in fact build 7 factory sedan deliveries in 1950. There was one built for each Oldsmobile factory in North America at the time. They were used as parts runners and executive vehicles at the plants. These seven are believed to have been coach built vehicles as they share no measurements or sheet metal in common with the Chevrolet sedan deliveries of the time. They were an entirely unique vehicle. 3 of them are known to have survived. It is entirely possible that all three were at Oldsmobiles 100th anniversary show and these were the ones you saw. They were never intended for mass production or public sale. It is actually kind of amazing that these three have even survived and did not get crushed.

Definitely a super rare and super cool vehicle.

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1950-oldsmobile-sedan-delivery

Good to know, Tom and Scott! Hmm. Maybe I should do the front clip in primer to make it look like a homebrewed crash repair? I just want to do it basically stock with a jacked up rear and a load of surfboards. I picked this unit instead of the new one since it was cheap, plus the grille has been said to have a more correct concave shape.

Stopped by Michael's they were clearing out a ton of models grab a 69 charger and then stopped by my lhs and grab another charger kit. Then noticed as I was checking out the new 67 camaro, so told his to put that on the card too. Not a bad day.

PART_1408804962933_IMAG0457_zps1230369a.

Not true. Oldsmobile did in fact build 7 factory sedan deliveries in 1950. There was one built for each Oldsmobile factory in North America at the time. They were used as parts runners and executive vehicles at the plants. These seven are believed to have been coach built vehicles as they share no measurements or sheet metal in common with the Chevrolet sedan deliveries of the time. They were an entirely unique vehicle. 3 of them are known to have survived. It is entirely possible that all three were at Oldsmobiles 100th anniversary show and these were the ones you saw. They were never intended for mass production or public sale. It is actually kind of amazing that these three have even survived and did not get crushed.

Definitely a super rare and super cool vehicle.http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1950-oldsmobile-sedan-delivery

Interesting. This I did not know. From what I remember, the ones we saw were not all the same year. But, now you got me courious. The buddy whom I went to that show with and I are going to a local car show tonight. I'm going to have to bring that up. See what he remembers, and may know about the 7 factory built units. Not doubting what you've stated here, but do you know where I can confirm this information? And thanks for sharing this. I'm always interested in learning new things.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Oh the KPGC110 looks sweet,but i guess it`s curbside?

The kit is in fact full detail...kinda. There is a really nice, 15 part or so COMPLETE engine/tranny, and everything on the chassis is separate. Eg no molded in exhaust or suspension parts.

BUT the old motorized heritage of the overall kit, or the lack of a complete overhaul of the tool means that other than a radiator (which is there more as a detail piece since the grill is mesh) there is no under hood detail. The tooling was also not modified to cast the hood as a separate piece for the 2-3 variations that got the newly tooled engine.

So much research needs to be done to cut the hood out correctly, along with the fact the under side of the hood has a giant mold mating line (remember in 95% of their C110 kits don't have the engine) and fabbing up the underhood area if you want more than an OOB presentation.

The upside? HLJ sells the kit for $12.60. Subject matter is subjective, but what kit can you buy even WITH the majikal 40% coupon (other than out right clearance) can you pick up for $12 and change.

Heck the most expensive of those 4 kits is the Initial D AE86 and that was $22. The other Fujimi kits were $12 for the R32 (curbside) and $14 for the little Datsun roadster (top half engine insert). Shipping all 4 was $20, so $5 per kit basically.

Everything you've been told about the "sky high" prices of Japanese kits is a lie ;)

Just finished reading the article on the Olds sedan delivery. Very interesting. E-mailed a link to my buddy whom I'm seeing tonight. Something new to discuss. Again Chris, thanks for info.

Scott

No problem. GM built lots of one or two off vehicles strictly as styling exercises. 99% of them did not get built for one reason or another and the vast majority of them did not survive, eventually being modified into another vehicle or crushed entirely.

New vintage grille/bumper/headlights for the '60 Chrysler.

14830603728_40431c3f20_c.jpg

With that, a new chassis and glass, and Satco tires with deep chrome reverse wheels from the Jo-Han Petty Plymouth, all mocked up it looks a lot better than when you last saw it:

13093377714_d75aa1433b_c.jpg

A set of Modelhaus taillights, some mods to the grille to inset the bars, and it will be time to do the final bodywork.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Actually I got nothing today (so far) or yesterday. But, I walked into my first Hobby Lobby store yesterday afternoon. And no I did not burst into flames or get struck by lightning. Nobody accosted me with religious propaganda. I heard no religious background music either. I did not notice any religious artifacts for sale, until a friend pointed out we had just gone by an end cap with some crosses. Up to that pointed I did see anything religiously orientated.

I did find a fairly good selection of model kits. And some die cast cars. Though everything I was interested in on their shelves, I already have. I was surprised by the fair amount of other automobile related things they had. Things like metal signs, reproduction old oil cans, and other things like that. A lot of car (and non car) stuff for decorating your garage or "man cave". Besides model kits, they had a good selection of fun old fashion type toys. Things like drinking birds. Rubber band powered balsa airplanes. Baking soda powered rockets, submarines, and volcanos. Fun, simple stuff like that.

I thought their prices were fair. Not great. But not bad either. I did sign up to get email from them for their coupons.

Over all I liked the place. I was impressed. I'm not an overly religious person. But, I respected the sign on their door giving their hours, and stating they are closed on Sundays so their employees can spend their day in worship and with their families. In this consumer driven world I kind of find it refreshing to find a place were the mighty buck does not always come first. I will be going back there to shop more in the future. And so will my buddy who went with me.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Don't forget to check their clearance area for paints.

I was at the one in Mount Prospect today and noticed they had the AMT double T coupe and roadster on sale for 40% off. I thought about it but just got the razor saw blade I came for, with the 40% off coupon. Don't need to be buying a box of two new projects when I'm already working on seven or eight at once.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...