Model Cars Magazine Forum

Converting a 69 oldmobile to a 68 and then making it a convertible.

While on the road talking to a modeling buddy of mine he started talking about his favorite car he's ever owned a 1968 Oldsmobile 442 convertible with a Hurst shifter,black on black with a red pinstripe and black rallyes.A very cool car and I have been tinkering with building one for him.After searching the bay I have discovered that Johan made a promo of the 68 but they are ungodly expensive,much less for me to risk hacking one up making a convertible. Now on the flip side the AMT 69 kit is dog dirt cheap and maintains most ot the body lines and just needs a new front/rear bumper grille and hood as far as I have seen.There is a caster that sells a 68 kit and I'm sure that if I ask to buy the parts I need ,not the entire kit, that I can get them.Is there anything else I might need to know about this?

It seems you have it in hand. If you can get the hood and front and rear ends from bandit without buying the body that would be the way to go. I would much rather chop on a styrene body than a resin one if I have a choice. After some Googling and Wiki-ing you shouldn't have much trouble using the 69 body. There was a change to the Cutlass line that started in 70 that would have made the job slightly more difficult since the convertible switched form being based on the sports roof body like the 69 kit to being based on the supreme body which was shared with the longer Grand Prix and Monte Carlo.

• 2 weeks later...

Having owned a couple of 68 and 69 cutlasses they are essentially same car with minor differences. The 68 has different headlight and dashknobs than the 69 and for the conversion you will have to fill in the spots for the tailight on the 69. I have one of those kits and doing the conversion. Nice kit. The toughest part is changing the knobs. Or if your not that picky i wouldnt worry about it. Good luck and have fun.