#21 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

I think the hellaflush trend will "wear" itself out quickly. The cost of tires alone will see to that. Trends that do nasty things to drive trains and suspension when used normally tend to do that.

#22 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Gotta disagree. Stance refers to the 'attitude' of a vehicle, whether it's raised, lowered, up in front and down in the rear, down in the front and up in the rear, or whatever. A stock vehicle has stance ALL vehicles have stance...

I agree with your opinion. Stance and wheels do give a vehicle most of its "attitude". Perhaps "stanced" is some hip new term kids have come up with for tucking tire or something. I don't see why they wouldn't just call them static dropped.

Edited by Skydime, 26 November 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#23 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Casey, first, I admit the two images you posted do look really good if one doesn't take function into consideration (the Jag seems almost workable though), but they're not as extreme as a lot of the silliness I've seen. :blink:

Second, I'm a function-first kind of builder, liking to go as fast as I can when responsible circumstances permit, and I put things together to actually work. I think it's just as idiotic to see a mile-high gasser wannabee on the street, or a ground-dragging rat, or a tail-dragging, tail-wagging custom on long shackles as it is to see a tuner rolling practically on its inner sidewalls. Automobiles are indeed sculpture, but being KINETIC sculpture, I personally find it disturbing when function is entirely overlooked in favor of 'form'. I miss the point of having a 'car' that doesn't function well as a car, unless it's purely a race car or showcar. ;)

Most of the styling or performance trends on the street have trickled down from emulating race-cars, whether it's a chopped-top, paying homage (perhaps unknowingly) to the dry-lakes racers' quest for lower frontal area, or the ridiculous extremes in wheel designs that, again, had their start when alloy aftermarket rims first became available so average guys could copy the drag-car look. :D

It's entirely possible to build a 'cool' vehicle that will turn heads and generate oohs-and-aahs, in any genre, and simultaneously respect the laws of physics. Mindless herd-following in evil-handling vehicles isn't what made the automotive sport / hobby what it is. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 26 November 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#24 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph Osborn

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

This guy wins. Everyone can stop now and go on to the next big thing :P

#25 relaxednoma

relaxednoma

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Full Name:scott benningfield

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

LOL ^

#26 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

Yeah, really. B) That must have an IRS with SUPER LONG lower control arms!

Edited by Skydime, 27 November 2012 - 04:16 AM.