28 replies to this topic

#21 Scott Colmer

Scott Colmer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Since this thread has morphed into a copyright discussion, I can see merging it with the thread mentioned above.

Dropping it? I disagree. Not all of us reach the level where our pics can be stolen and resold, but all of us should be aware of the possibility.

Scott

#22 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,395 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

Yes Mr. Teresi is a great builder. I always enjoy seeing his work.

A couple of years ago someone made this steampunk artwork poster using an image of my steampunk car.

Posted Image

I was never asked for permission. It was done by someone overseas (not in the USA).
And they were for sale for a about one dollar.

It did not bother me. And if anything I was a little insulted by the low price... LOL

Jim, a perfect thing to do would be to print up copies of this same poster and start selling it, and of course, ask for more money.

Tit for tat, that's what I say.

Since this thread has morphed into a copyright discussion, I can see merging it with the thread mentioned above.

Dropping it? I disagree. Not all of us reach the level where our pics can be stolen and resold, but all of us should be aware of the possibility.

Scott

Scott, I agree, this is a worthwhile (and current) topic of conversation.

#23 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  • Full Name:John Teresi

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Hello.......thanks guys for all the input.........I really want to just let this go..........my father has had thousands of lawsuits........I for one don`t want to be involved with one...........someone is making a little money without my blessing........I am glad for them,,,,,,,,, but,at the same time all they had to do was ask and give me a little credit with my name on it.............I was very proud of that "Garlit`s" build........ it was built about 4 years ago when I first started building........the joy I got out of it is when I took the 8x12 color photo to the 50 year NHRA reunion at Pomona and had Garlit`s autograph it..........he looked at it for a long few seconds and said to me "Ther was never a color photo of this accident"?........well, he was so amazed when I told him that it was a photo of the model I built.........so instead of giving him the model I gave him a color 8x12 photo of the crash........he said I made his day...........that was good day for me :) ...........I feel that I have improved my modeling skills ever since I joined the MCM forum and learned allot from all the talented builders on the site.........I consider my builds now days very sentimental........so,if it happens again I will probably put up a fight..........thanks

Posted Image

#24 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,395 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

Nice picture, John. I think I am going to make a poster out of it and . . . just kidding. :D :) B)

#25 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

John, you certainly have a commendably calm, generous and forgiving attitude. That may be as inspirational in its own way as your building skills.

#26 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

I can understand why John doesn't want to pursue this...it would take a lot of the time he can be creating his next masterpiece. ;)

and all that lawyer stuff is just basically a big pain in the arse and considering the scoundrel that ripped his photo may be in another country makes it just that much harder.

Karma will take care of that hooligan....MODEL KARMA!!!

#27 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

Nice picture, John. I think I am going to make a poster out of it and . . . just kidding. :D :) B)

Actually, if Dr. Cranky wasn't kidding, he might have problems with Garlit's legal staff.
Most celebs guard their image rather aggressively since it's part of their livelyhood.

#28 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

I can understand not wanting to pursue extensive legal action, but I think at the very least you could have a lawyer write a "cease & desist" letter, or even write them a letter yourself just stating the facts. It's not right for someone to be making money off your labors without your consent. Just my 2 cents . . .

#29 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,828 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

Since John has explained his opinion on this, there's not much else to say. Also, Scott asked me to lock this now, so... click.