Jump to content


'Olds 442 W30 rescue


  • You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 wagoneer

wagoneer

    MCM Regular

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Location:Kent, England
  • Full Name:Kelly Sands

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

So, first actual model post for me after lurking around for a bit. There's some great inspiration on this forum and I hope I've not started something I can't finish due to inability and sausage fingers.

There's no real plan here other than to refresh this kit that I build roughly 15 years ago. A marriage, two children and a house renovation have kept me away from this hobby a while....but I'm back to it. One thing I've discovered is that the parts seem to be much smaller these days.....

I started with the idea of just a repaint but got carried away. Looking at the wheel arches, there was a fiddly detail that never sat well with me so I set about sorting it out.

Attached Files

  • Attached File  055.JPG   102.17KB   18 downloads

Edited by wagoneer, 25 November 2012 - 08:43 AM.


#2 wagoneer

wagoneer

    MCM Regular

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Location:Kent, England
  • Full Name:Kelly Sands

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

More progress. I'm a bit slow at this so no sleeping at the back!

Attached File  curve1.jpg   64.67KB   2 downloads

I decided that the arches looked odd. There's a recess in the factory arch that didn't look too smooth to me so I set about filling out the arch to make it look smoother whilst also blending the front and rear bumpers and taking all the trim off.

Here you can see me running a strip of thin plastic card through my fingers to put a pre-curl into it so that it fits the curve of the arch.

Attached File  curve2.jpg   112.22KB   5 downloads

Here's the first of four curves.

Attached File  curve3.jpg   76.19KB   11 downloads

...and stuck in place. I repeated this with the other 3 curves (but I didn't take any fuzzy pictures of that). You can also see a bit of Squadron Green putty filling the gap between the flared arch and my curve.

Attached File  filledarch1.jpg   45.75KB   12 downloads

With a bit of filling, sanding and more filling, it's starting to look better. The plastic card gave me a good edge to work to along with the original flare so with some gentle sanding I was able to get where I wanted to go.

More to come. Next step, figure out how to make my pictures bigger in the post!

#3 hemi

hemi

    MCM Avid Poster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Location:Humboldt,TN
  • Full Name:Kevin Bentley

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Let me say welcome to the site and back to the hobby. Your pictures are small but you can click on them and they get bigger.

#4 wagoneer

wagoneer

    MCM Regular

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Location:Kent, England
  • Full Name:Kelly Sands

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the welcome Hemi,
Yes, they do get bigger, was just hoping to get them larger in line rather than having to click. I'm sure I'll work it out.

The builds on here are very inspirational and I've already learned a lot, like the bleach strips chrome idea, so much better than brake fluid.