Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing at Staples

my wife and I own a custom print and apparel buisness and we looked at doing this as a service and for a small place like ours the prices for the most basic setup alone is killer.

the good news about this is in the long run if this takes off it will drive the prices for it down to a more manageable cost.

It's also only to be in Europe for now. Whether it makes it here or not remains to be seen. I suspect it will. As to cost...I'm guessing between moderate and high. Those printers, no matter how they work, are still expensive and the costs need to be recovered.

Charlie Larkin

A 3D printer is going to be on most modeler's workbenches soon.

A few, maybe. Most?? Never. The cost alone is a major factor for everyone. Not to mention you need to be highly skilled at making the drawings/files to print the parts. Then, the parts need a ton of sanding to get them smooth enough to primer and paint.

A few, maybe. Most?? Never. The cost alone is a major factor for everyone. Not to mention you need to be highly skilled at making the drawings/files to print the parts. Then, the parts need a ton of sanding to get them smooth enough to primer and paint.

Its not bad im getting masters made for around 15 bucks, all you need is a class in inventor or solidworks it gets you far enough to make most parts just about every community college offers a entry level cad program Inventor can be had for free as a student edition. cleanup depends on part resolution and printer resolution low res parts require tons of cleanup while high res parts can be made drawing quality if the printer is a high res printer like SLS then all you need is light sanding and primer.

I'm in England which is apparently part of Europe, although we don't consider it so......but I'll look out for that at my nearest store and see what they really have. Fortunately I also have access to cad modelling at work with a friendly colleague who likes model making, best I do him some favours so he can return them soon!

A few, maybe. Most?? Never. The cost alone is a major factor for everyone.

Cost is a factor today. In a few years costs will drop dramatically and "do-it-yourself 3D printing kits" will be sold at the local computer store, or even Walmart. You'll see.

New technology always starts out priced high, then comes down as the technology improves. Remember how expensive camcorders or VCRs or flat-screen TVs were when they first came out? Towards the end of their "reign" as the dominant way to record TV, you could buy a basic VCR for way less than a hundred bucks. They barely cost more than a nice toaster.