26 replies to this topic

#21 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

Larry, not trying to diss what you have said here, but a couple of things from my research over the years:  The pics you show of the fastback 88 and the 2dr sedan show the very same door, up to and including the upper window framing.  Second, if I am hearing you right, you are saying that the windshield glass on the station wagon is itself taller than on the sedans and coupes?  That's pretty hard to understand, given that in any automobile body, the firewall/cowling/windshield frame/A pillars is the single most expensive part of the body shell, and next to the engine, the single most expensive part of a car (certainly from the 50's and 60's--source none other than the late GM stylist, David Holls, who was in GM Styling at the time the '49 GM bodies were being styled--I knew Holls in his later years, BTW)  Even harder would be to feature that for 1950, the station wagon was the lowest production body style of all, and yet it used a taller windshield glass?  

Or, do you mean there was a lower roofline on the fastback vis-a-vis the coupe and sedan bodies, and that the station wagon roofline was taller than any other Olds body that year (that is true, of course).  I know the convertible and Holiday hardtop had a lower windshield, but I would be interested to see the camparison from say, a windshield glass exchange manual--that to me would be the definitive source.

Art

interesting hypothesising, but there are indeed four different windshields, in descending order of height: station wagon, coupe/sedan, fastback and hardtop/convertible.

#22 Futuramic LE

Futuramic LE

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Full Name:Larry E. Ewing

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

interesting hypothesising, but there are indeed four different windshields, in descending order of height: station wagon, coupe/sedan, fastback and hardtop/convertible.

Not only were the 4 windshields for a A body cars there were also 3 more because they were offered in split and full on all but wagons. Not to mention the 98 series their variety of windshields. I think one reason there were so many, this body was shared buy Chevy and Pontiac which upped the unit volume to maybe justify the variations.
Back to the Revell model:
I noticed in preparing the body there are no peaks on the front fenders. This is an Oldsmobile distinction which is easily sanded into the model. I used masking tape on the outer edge and sanded the inside to get the desired peak. See photos attached of fender of 1:1 car. It's subtle but there.
Larry

Attached Files

#23 fumi

fumi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Silvester Man

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I've attached a pix I took of a chopped fastback in Bakersfield a few years back. It's a beauty. do you know the car?

Appears to be this car.

In black: http://www.jalopyjou...ad.php?t=461840
Repainted in gold: http://www.jalopyjou...ad.php?t=585810

#24 bubba1975

bubba1975

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Full Name:Jason andrew bush

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Any chance u could post some under hood pics trying to figure out where the heater hoses go.

Thanks Jason

#25 Futuramic LE

Futuramic LE

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Any chance u could post some under hood pics trying to figure out where the heater hoses go.

Thanks Jason

Jason,
I posted 2 pix but they may be too small to see. I don't know how to post without defaulting into thumbnails. I need to ask the moderator or someone about this.
In words this is how the heater hosed are routed. From drivers side two 5/8" hoses come out of the firewall right behind the left side of the air cleaner, model part #66. Hoses not visible in pix. of these 2 hoses, 1 goes straight down to the left rear of the head and joins a silver metal tube that parallels above the left valve cover and dumps into the front of the engine near the top of the water pump. The other hose goes across the firewall and returns into the heater (inside car) right below model part #137 at firewall. Above #137, to the right facing, a hose comes out of the heater and curves along the right inner fender, held on with 2 clamps and dumps into the engine right above the fuel pump on the right front of the block.
In the photo there are 2 other hoses back at the firewall I can't identify. My 3 Oldsmobiles are plumbed as described above and don't have those 2 hoses.
Good luck,
Larry

Attached Files

#26 Futuramic LE

Futuramic LE

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Welcome to the forum Larry.

But watch this thread carefully, because the moderators may move it to a more pertinent thread, such as something under Car Kit Reviews. It's a bit too specific to a particular kit for the General forum.

If you can't find it, send a personal message to a moderator - Casey or Harry - and ask where it went.

Thank you Skip,
It happened just as you thought. It moved to 1:1 car.
I've answered a number of questions on 1:1 car but now I need help with my model.
I don't know if I need to start a new post or use this.
I want to modify my 1/25 '50 Olds and incorporate the grille and headlight parts from the Ertl metal die cast car from 1999 as I believe they are more accurate. What I need to know is what fill product can I use to reshape to lower fenders? I also have paint questions for the forum..where do I go?
Larry

#27 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Larry, why don't you start a workbench WIP since you started on your kit?

You can ask the specific questions about your build as we follow along, or you can ask questions in this section if you don't want to start a build thread:

http://www.modelcars...php?showforum=8