• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

How about:

U.S. - Fenders = U.K. - Wings

U.S. - Sway Bar = U.K. - Roll Bar

U.S. - Roll Bar = U.K. - Anti Rollover Bar

oh, the English are just silly, the U.S.-Roll Bar should be a U.K.- Anti Crush Bar, because I've never seen any anti rollover bars except on bicycles, they look a lot like "training wheels" ... which I'm sure the U.K. have a totally different name for.

(and don't try to tell me they call them "trainers" because I already know that U.S. - Tennis Shoes = U.K. - Trainers)

#242 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

oh, the English are just silly, the U.S.-Roll Bar should be a U.K.- Anti Crush Bar, because I've never seen any anti rollover bars except on bicycles, they look a lot like "training wheels" ... which I'm sure the U.K. have a totally different name for.

(and don't try to tell me they call them "trainers" because I already know that U.S. - Tennis Shoes = U.K. - Trainers)

Roll bars are sometimes called rollover bars in circuit racing circles, but I've never heard them referred to as anti-rollover bars.  They've always been roll bars to me anyway.  Sway bars however, are called anti-roll bars in the UK.

Training wheels are known as "stabilisers" in the UK.

#243 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Good old mother England!

US- wrench = UK -spanner

US- color = UK colour

US- Gas Truck = UK Petrol Browser

etc., etc.....

#244 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,554 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Oh my. Such impressive ... multiculturalism.

#245 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Oh my. Such impressive ... multiculturalism.

Also, some excellent polysyllabic discourse.   :P

#246 Funkster

Funkster

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Funck

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Mich. Madman, you are not totally right. as I see it. Chrysler Jeep would be correct as the vehicle is made by Chrysler LLC there for Chrysler Jeep correct? And so on and so Like the car made by Ford Motor car Co.
Linclon & Mercury.
But
I do agree with Chevy GMC, it would be GM Chevy and GM GMC

And yes Nascar did race stock cars at one time, Like the Road Runners, SuperBirds, Daytona, Ford Torinos were all stock cars taken from the production line and made into stock cars by Ray Nicoles, The Pettys and Holmen & Moody were the car builders. Had to change to what we have now because the car couldn't take the crash damage and save the drivers.

#247 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,577 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Mich. Madman, you are not totally right. as I see it. Chrysler Jeep would be correct as the vehicle is made by Chrysler LLC there for Chrysler Jeep correct? 

Chrysler markets their divisions as their own brands, so the correct term would be "Jeep Wrangler" or "Jeep Whatever," not "Chrysler Jeep Whatever." After all, you don't call a Dodge Charger a "Chrysler Dodge Charger."

#248 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Sure you could call them "Chrysler Jeeps" and "GM Chevy/GM GMC". However, it would be similar to someone calling cotton swabs "Unilever Q-tips". People generally don't say the parent company, just the brand. (Dunno what post you're referring to, so I may be on the wrong page with what you're trying to say.)

#249 dpride

dpride

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Full Name:David Pride

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

It's ironic that some of the posts in this thread contain eggcorns. :rolleyes:

#250 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

It's ironic that some of the posts in this thread contain eggcorns. :rolleyes:

For those, like me, who had no idea what that means...

"In linguistics, an eggcorn is an idiosyncratic substitution of a word or phrase for a word or words that sound similar or identical in the speaker's dialect. The new phrase introduces a meaning that is different from the original, but plausible in the same context, such as "old-timers' disease" for "Alzheimer's disease".[1] This is as opposed to a malapropism, where the substitution creates a nonsensical phrase. Classical malapropisms generally derive their comic effect from the fault of the user, while eggcorns are errors that exhibit creativity or logic.[2] Eggcorns often involve replacing an unfamiliar, archaic, or obscure word with a more common or modern word ("baited breath" for "bated breath").[3]

The term eggcorn was coined by a professor of linguisticsGeoffrey Pullum, in September 2003, in response to an article by Mark Liberman on the website Language Log, a blog for linguists.[4] Liberman discussed the case of a woman who substitutes the phrase egg corn for the word acorn, arguing that the precise phenomenon lacked a name; Pullum suggested using "eggcorn" itself. The phenomenon is very similar to the form of wordplay known as the pun, except that, by definition, the speaker (or writer) intends the pun to have some effect on the recipient, whereas one who speaks or writes an eggcorn is unaware of the mistake."

#251 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Sju sjuksköterskor skötte sju sjösjuka sjömen på skeppet Shangai.

#252 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Sju sjuksköterskor skötte sju sjösjuka sjömen på skeppet Shangai.

Ahh yes, a Swedish tongue twister

In English from google translator

Seven nurses ran seven seasick sjömen the ship Shangai.

Edited by martinfan5, 29 December 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#253 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Chrysler markets their divisions as their own brands, so the correct term would be "Jeep Wrangler" or "Jeep Whatever," not "Chrysler Jeep Whatever." After all, you don't call a Dodge Charger a "Chrysler Dodge Charger."

I suppose that a Chrysler Jeep makes sense if you are refering to a CJ manufactured by Chrysler corp to distinguish it from other CJ series vehicles. Through out the years there were Bantum Jeeps, Overland Jeeps, Willys Jeeps and I believe AMC Jeeps or more correctly CJ series general purpose vehicles, thus a Chrysler CJ or "Jeep" may be correct. In reality only Chrysler had a trademark on the word "Jeep" though it had been in general use since WWII. I will never understand how they got a trademark for it.

#254 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

In reality only Chrysler had a trademark on the word "Jeep" though it had been in general use since WWII. I will never understand how they got a trademark for it.

Who knows? Maybe they were the only ones to actually apply for the TM?

#255 dpride

dpride

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Full Name:David Pride

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

One of the most irksome for me, is solder, pronounced as SODDER.   <_<

I think DONK, when referring to an engine,  would rate a close second.

Edited by dpride, 29 December 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#256 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Who knows? Maybe they were the only ones to actually apply for the TM?

The brand has gone through many owners, starting with Willys, which produced the first Civilian Jeep (CJ) in 1945 and who were the first granted the trademark in 1950. Willys was sold to Kaiser Motors in 1953, which became Kaiser-Jeep in 1963. American Motors Corporation (AMC) purchased Kaiser's money-losing Jeep operations in 1970. The utility vehicles complemented AMC's passenger car business by sharing components, achieving volume efficiencies, as well as capitalizing on Jeep's international and government markets.

The French automaker Renault began investing in AMC in 1979. However, by 1987, the automobile markets had changed and even Renault itself was experiencing financial troubles. At the same time, Chrysler Corporation wanted to capture the Jeep brand, as well as other assets of AMC. Chrysler bought out AMC in 1987, shortly after the Jeep CJ-7 was replaced with the AMC-designedJeep Wrangler or YJ. Chrysler merged with Daimler-Benz in 1998 to form DaimlerChrysler. DaimlerChrysler eventually sold most of their interest in Chrysler to a private equity company in 2007. Chrysler and the Jeep division now operate under the name Chrysler Group LLC.

Jeeps have been built under licence by various manufacturers around the world including Mahindra in India, EBRO in Spain, and several in South America. Mitsubishi built more than 30 different Jeep models in Japan between 1953 and 1998. Most of them were based on the CJ-3B model of the original Willys-Kaiser design.

Toledo, Ohio has been the headquarters of the Jeep marque since its inception, and the city has always been proud of this heritage. Although no longer produced in the same Toledo Complexas the World War II originals, two streets in the vicinity of the old plant are named Willys Parkway and Jeep Parkway.

American Motors set up the first automobile-manufacturing joint venture in the People's Republic of China on January 15, 1984. The result was Beijing Jeep Corporation, Ltd., in partnership with Beijing Automobile Industry Corporation, to produce the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) in Beijing. Manufacture continued after Chrysler's buyout of AMC. This joint venture is now part of DaimlerChrysler and DaimlerChrysler China Invest Corporation. The original 1984 XJ model was updated and called the "Jeep 2500" toward the end of its production that ended after 2005.

A division of Chrysler Group LLC, the most recent successor company to the Jeep brand, now holds trademark status on the name "Jeep" and the distinctive 7-slot front grille design. The original 9-slot grille associated with all World War II jeeps was designed by Ford for their GPW, and because it weighed less than the original "Slat Grille" of Willys (an arrangement of flat bars), was incorporated into the "standardized jeep" design.

#257 '08SEAL

'08SEAL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Full Name:Lane Allen

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Having a "Chevy" model.....

Haha Just kidding. I like all cars, except priuses....somethings just don't need to exist.

#258 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Long answers to Short Questions..

Just saying.. :lol:

#259 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,554 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

Mmmmmmm...eggcorns.

#260 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

I didn't read all the pages so if this is copied I'm sorry. Two that get me are. Blowed "the wind came up and blowed the trees over. I hate when people take food out to unthaw. Thawing is what your doing. So unthawing would be to freeze it right?