#61 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,738 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hero...grinder...hoagy...sub...poor boy...

How many names for a long sandwich do we need?   :lol:

#62 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

I had an assistant once who was from "Chick-aw-ga." 

{Never figured that one out.}

But then, she drove a "Tie-ota."

:rolleyes:    

#63 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Fixed it for you...and you're old if you know the acronym.  ^_^

Is "down by the lake" a Chicago and/or IL thing, too?

I'd guess it is a Chicago and/or IL thing, just like "tubing" may just be an Arizona thing.

In Arizona, "tubing" is a warm weather activity that involves; hugely inflated tire inner tubes, people, alcoholic beverages and any river/stream wide enough for them to float on.

#64 James2

James2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Full Name:JamesRiesII

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Back to a Auto phrase....

Rear Quarter, I thought the rear fenders where quarter panels. Or is a forward fender a front quarter?

4x4, Isn't it really still two wheel drive?

Glove compartment, I prefer to call it a Jockey Box!

Foreign cars have bonnets! 

#65 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

In Arizona, "tubing" is a warm weather activity that involves; hugely inflated tire inner tubes, people, alcoholic beverages and any river/stream wide enough for them to float on.

I thought it was when you put extra wide wheel wells in a car so you could put extra wide tires on it. 

:P

#66 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Well, irregardless of what you say, I could care less...

:lol:

#67 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I thought it was when you put extra wide wheel wells in a car so you could put extra wide tires on it. 

:P

that's "tubbing" ;)

#68 milkman

milkman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Full Name:howard jones

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Harry---

ATM machine is not correct.   ATM is automatic teller machine.  ATM machine would then be saying automatic teller machine machine.  One of my favorites is when people say they need a new hot water heater.  No you don't.  You need a water heater.  If your water was already hot there would be no need for a heater. 

#69 milkman

milkman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Full Name:howard jones

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Nick,

I have a new 3/4 ton GMC truck I bought to pull trailers on the farm with hay and tractors on them.  I had a dually and the new 3/4 has a higher GVW with the Z71 package.  It is a heavy duty suspension package.  It is not 4  wheel drive.  If you get the 4 wheel drive I believe they automatically include the Z71 suspension package.  I think that is the reason for confusion.  It has the Z71 decals on the back part of the bed but not 4X4 under it. Man I would love to have a new model kit of this generation of GM trucks.

#70 Guest_G Holding_*

Guest_G Holding_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

If your water was already hot there would be no need for a heater.

RIP George Carlin

Edited by G Holding, 06 December 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#71 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hero...grinder...hoagy...sub...poor boy...

How many names for a long sandwich do we need?   :lol:

See post #8 here...

http://www.modelcars...ic=67382&page=1

#72 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Harry---

ATM machine is not correct.   ATM is automatic teller machine.  ATM machine would then be saying automatic teller machine machine.  

Apparently you didn't quite get the point of my post...  ^_^

#73 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Althoe I have severial (I'm old and have earned the right to gripe), Muscle Car is my big one. A Chevelle SS 396 or 454 is a Muscle  car IF the factory built it, if you put a 454 in a Chevelle that left the factory with a 307 you have a Street Machine. Muscle cars were factory built, not home built.

Edited by Craig Irwin, 06 December 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#74 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Is there a point to this whole thread? It's more fun than informative! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D  ;)

#75 James2

James2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Full Name:JamesRiesII

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Du dat iz da poont!

#76 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'm a closet grammar nazi, myself. I've just learned to ignore it the majority of the time. I'm also fine with things like ""Stang" or "'cept" or "prob'ly" (but I loathe "prolly"), at least in informal text such as chat or on a forum. I see these as a sort of "text visualization" of how someone speaks. In formal text, though, such as an email to a client or business associate, I expect and strive for proper spelling and grammar, and absolute minimal use of contractions.

I also love making up or mashing together multiple words, but I usually reserve those for friends and family who are used to how my skewed brain works. :P

But here's one that immediately flips my middle finger - "I'm going to sale my thing." It's "SELL", not "SALE". "I'm putting it up FOR SALE" or "I would like to SELL it". NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER is it "I want to SALE it". Worse than 50 nuns dragging their nails down a chalkboard, in unison. :D

#77 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Channellocks - a term used for almost all generic slip joint pliers, but a term that is registered as a trademark by Channellock, Inc., my employer for the last 31 years. incidentally, the blue color on Chabnnellock tools is also a registered trademark, and has been proven in court, refering to a certain shade of blue in the color spectrum, and extending to several shades on either side of it. Incidentally, when I started at Channellock in 1980, just about all hand tools sold by Sears (Craftsman) were manufactured by Channellock, until the business went to China....There is NO 'Sears' factory, they have ALL their products 'farmed out' so to speak.

#78 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Sorry , Danno !

I agree with your hypothesis , but protest your final diagnosis ! If said egg ( kit ) becomes a chicken ( model ) all well and good !

However if the chicken ( model ) is dropped and hits the deck , it becomes an omelet , thereby returning to it's original state ( egg ) albeit a broken one !

Now , go to your room and ponder on that one !

Lmao !

#79 dieseldog1970

dieseldog1970

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Full Name:Curt Stickley

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Coronet Super Bee...this one bugs me !!!! I have seen this term used on everything from EPAY to model magazine reviews and it is like nails on a chalkboard to me!!

When the Super Bee was brought out, they used the existing Coronet platform...you never see a Road Runner called a Satellite Road Runner, even though the Runner was based on the Satellite....AARGH!

I have used the term "dog dish" to describe the hubcap on a cop car rim...or was that supposed to be wheel cover??? :P

Edited by dieseldog1970, 06 December 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#80 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Nick,

I have a new 3/4 ton GMC truck I bought to pull trailers on the farm with hay and tractors on them.  I had a dually and the new 3/4 has a higher GVW with the Z71 package.  It is a heavy duty suspension package.  It is not 4  wheel drive.  If you get the 4 wheel drive I believe they automatically include the Z71 suspension package.  I think that is the reason for confusion.  It has the Z71 decals on the back part of the bed but not 4X4 under it. Man I would love to have a new model kit of this generation of GM trucks.

Z71 Package Debuted in 1989, it was only available on 4x4's and included Front differential skid plate, Transfer case skid plate, and Transmission skid plates, it also included a set of Bilstein Gas Shocks. This is what the REAL Z71 package was.

I have a customer with a 2008 Silverado 1500 2WD with the Z71, it has the skid plates and Bilsteins, but is a 2WD ONLY truck, Confused the hell out of me the first time he brought it to me, I looked at the decals on the bedside then started thinking whether or not I saw a dial on the dash, I checked the front for a front diff and CV shafts and there wasn't any it was like I mentioned a 2WD

As far as the subject of a new model of the '88-'98, IMO there's nothing really wrong with the AMT tooling a little bit of work can't fix easily.

Nick

Edit, Forgot I had a picture of Brian's Truck from around this time last year when I did a left rear wheel cylinder and a front left lower control arm. Also had his truck in today for an oil change, nice truck really, he says it gets good mileage for it being a large pickup with a V8, it's a 4.8L truck.

GEDC0745.jpg

same time I took this picture we were updating the shop website, hence the photo with no "Techs" present.

Edited by Nick Winter, 06 December 2012 - 03:19 PM.