#41 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Oh, I wouldn't say they have no style. They have a different style then what you like, perhaps. There are those of us that actually like modern vehicles and not only tell them all apart but see and appreciate the style in them.

IMHO all the cars from the mid-to-late-70s all look the same: big, square, and ugly!

I  tend to agree with your opinion on late 70's vehicles.  As far as modern ones, who can tell a chevy from a ford from a toyota anymore.  That was'nt a issue in the 50's and 60's for sure.  Having said what I did, for some reason I am a little bit drawn to the original subject in question.

#42 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

Redesigned Holden UTE it is!  It's the Pontiac G8 sport truck.  No worries about it ever hitting the street since it is a Pontiac...and since we are getting the SS version of the Caprice instead of the Chevelle, I don't ever see it being released as an El Camino.

Actually there is rumour that they may bring over the ute and wagon versions of the Holden that they're basing the SS off of.

#43 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,540 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

They sell the wagon, I'm first in line.

Yes, the cargo area is a lot smaller (about 70 cu. ft. vs. 92.4 for my Roadmaster,) but it would be so nice to have a new, perhaps more of a midsize, but still closer-to-real wagon. It's roughly the G-body wagon or Magnum, minus a couple of grocery bags.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575, 08 December 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#44 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Here's my opinion of what is wrong with automobile design in the last 50 year.

If it is true that this is going to be the new El Camino, then I'll save my money and buy me a car built before 1970.

59670_10151139690167540_434146952_n.jpg

Exactly my sentiments, And my question  to GM is,  :huh:  Why?

#45 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,756 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Sorry, but the El Camino itself was an abomination, period. It was supposed to feature all the good features of a car and pickup, but it only had the worst features of both. I know this because I used to own one- a '75... which wasn't one of the El Co's best years, either. (Oh boy, here comes the hate mail...)

If you want a two-seater with a lot of cargo room, get a late model Corvette. Way pricier, sure, but way less rust prone, too.

#46 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

If you want a two-seater with a lot of cargo room, get a late model Corvette. Way pricier, sure, but way less rust prone, too.

How many 4' x 8' sheets of plywood or drywall can you carry in a Corvette?

#47 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Caminos & Ranchero's were rust buckets from the start.  Never cared for them myself. " I'm a pick up man!" Love that jingle... :)

#48 showbuilder

showbuilder

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Full Name:hselby

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

i like it, looks better than my 1980 elky in the garage. modern styling, performance and fuel mileage is much better than any of the older stuff.........and i like the old stuff. like in a previous post.......this is 2012 and styling from the 50s through the 90s is gone and will not be back, get used to it. B)  B)

#49 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I  tend to agree with your opinion on late 70's vehicles.  As far as modern ones, who can tell a chevy from a ford from a toyota anymore.  That was'nt a issue in the 50's and 60's for sure.  Having said what I did, for some reason I am a little bit drawn to the original subject in question.

Telling the difference between modern vehicles is very, very easy. They're all vastly different. :)

#50 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

There's actually a site. http://www.studemino.com/home.asp  Oooh, I'm gonna be sick.

#51 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Telling the difference between modern vehicles is very, very easy. They're all vastly different. :)

I couldn't disagree more.  Sorry.

#52 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

Sure, the overall shape of cars is becoming more uniform but that is more for aerodynamics and fuel efficiency. But, each manufacturer still has their own unique designs.

#53 rhs856

rhs856

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Full Name:Randall Lyon

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

Here's more info on the Ute "rumored" to be coming to the U.S. Say what you will about the styling, I'll be in line for one with a 5.7L. ;)

#54 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Interesting that that news comes out of Australia rather than the US; I guess they're more excited about exporting than the US is about importing...  :huh:

#55 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

How many 4' x 8' sheets of plywood or drywall can you carry in a Corvette?

How many can you carry in the latest Holden Ute?

The current model's tub is too short for a full sheet.

If you really wanted a ute for work then the "Tonner" was the one you went for.  Until they killed that off.

action.jpg

Given the current rate of our dollar against yours I don't think you'll be getting many of our cars over there in the near future.

Edited by zenrat, 10 December 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#56 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

I for one liked the old El Caminos (GMC Sprint) and Rancheros. I even had hoped for the AMC Cowboy (Hornet based vehicle) which never happened except for two prototypes. I though the Dodge Rampage was nice as well, seeing I owned a 1984 Dodge Charger, which was a pretty good car till the bottom started to rust out here in Wisconsin. Now, I'm really hoping for the new Elcos. The original El Camino and Ranchero was intended for the surfer crowd and hobby farmers, or as the term was then, gentlemen farmers, and small business owners who wanted a light vehicle and had no real need for the full size trucks. When Datsun (Nissan) and Toyota and Isuzu (Chevy LUV, Isuzu P'UP) and Mazda (Ford Courier, Mazda B2000/Rotary) brought in there small pick up trucks, the coupe/pickup lost it's appeal. BTW I like the Holden ute.

Edited by lordairgtar, 10 December 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#57 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

How many can you carry in the latest Holden Ute?

The current model's tub is too short for a full sheet.

It's not so much about length - even most full size pickups have 6' long beds. If you have 4' (+ a little) in width, you can carry full sheets. They just hang out the back by a couple of feet. Tomorrow I will demonstrate this in my almost 50 year old Ranchero.

#58 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Truth to be told, I had difficulty telling one '50s chrome mastodon from another until I started paying attention to them...

#59 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Truth to be told, I had difficulty telling one '50s chrome mastodon from another until I started paying attention to them...

No, no that is clearly impossible. The wonderful cars of the past were perfectly styled, all very distinctive cars that newer cars could not start to be compared to. Anything else is just bland.

#60 hvymtl

hvymtl

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Smith

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I too would love a Ute but no wimpy 5.7 it would have at least a 6.2l or the new one just announced.

And i loved my 85 yes it was a rust turd but the 84 in my garage is better by far , and i would love a 71 or even

a early 70's ranchero. as for hauling i will use the wife's fullsize GMC

Michael