Finally bought paint booth (Update 12/21/12)

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#21 dougp

dougp

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Pickett

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for everyones input and suggestions. Thanks Scalenut for the comments and pics about your Pace, they were the deciding factor. We need open space around our projects because we still primarily use rattle cans. We bought the Artograph booth (same as MicroLux) from Amazon. Saved over $100 between the free shipping and lower price on Amazon. Thanks Chief Joseph for the suggestion and supplied link about the secondary filter. We went out to collect the parts and while at Lowes we found these Dryer Lint Trap kits. They included 8' of ducting and two snap rings.

DSCN1583.jpg

Since we're limited on space I felt these would make great secondary filter containers and they solved my problem of having to fabricate a 'Y' connector to the 5 gallon drum (booth has two exhaust ports). I picked up two 4" aluminum collars and a 30X20 generic HVAC filter. Total for all the parts was about $35.

DSCN1587.jpg

I pressed fit and hot glued the aluminum collars to the inside of the lint traps.

DSCN1584.jpg

I then measured and cut 4 circular pieces of filter material and placed them in the traps. The filter material presses and seals against the collars in the traps. The tops snap into place and the two traps are connected together by gluing their wall brackets together.

DSCN1586.jpg

Here is how they look assembled together and in use.

DSCN1589.jpg

Booth and filters got their first work out tonight. We couldn't be happier with the results. The booth has plenty air flow, work space and is well lit with the clear top. I found I will be able to use polyester batting material for filter replacements in the future. My wife makes quilts and has a ton of the material laying around. I used it before as filter material in my old homemade paint booth.

Now we don't have to wait until spring to paint again. Thanks again to everyone.

Edited by dougp, 21 December 2012 - 05:59 PM.