#21 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

And yet, the vast majority of model car builders ages 55 and up started with glue-kits for one simple reason:  There were not snap kits around back in our younger years.

And learn?  We learned by doing, mostly on our own--very, very few of us had fathers with much understanding of model kits, and many lacked even the older brother--so learn by doing it was, seriousl.

Yeah, it's nice to have a mentor, even fun to be a mentor in this hobby, but at the same time, for the mentor to push this way or that can often be disingenuous, even overwhelming.  Better to first gauge the level of interest in the subject matter, and if that is there, with at least a bit of passion, gentle and positive encouragement.

Art

Thing is though, look at the kits you older guys had to work with: they were practically equal to the basic kits found today. Screw-together body, metal axles, low parts numbers, simplified assembly procedures, all stuff that you would find on today's snap kits and basic builders.

And yes, you guys did have to "tough it alone", however that's not the case today. What's wrong with sitting down with your kid and showing them the ropes? You don't have to do anything but simply make suggestions or show them the best way to do something. If they choose to not follow, well then it's up to them.

But hey, I guess it simply is a generational matter in this thread.

#22 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

And yet, the vast majority of model car builders ages 55 and up started with glue-kits for one simple reason:  There were not snap kits around back in our younger years.

And learn?  We learned by doing, mostly on our own--very, very few of us had fathers with much understanding of model kits, and many lacked even the older brother--so learn by doing it was, seriousl.

Yeah, it's nice to have a mentor, even fun to be a mentor in this hobby, but at the same time, for the mentor to push this way or that can often be disingenuous, even overwhelming.  Better to first gauge the level of interest in the subject matter, and if that is there, with at least a bit of passion, gentle and positive encouragement.

Art

this

#23 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

I agree the Revell Snap-Tites like the '57 Chevy would be a good place to start. There are a lot of different ones to look at...'63 Corvette, Ferrari Enzo, '69 Camaro, recent Mustang, etc. so he should be able to pick out something than interests him.

If you want to go glue, it's tough to beat "classic" Monogram for a beginner. Maybe the '78 Firebird, the full-fendered '32 Ford roadster, or something from Tom Daniel. 

#24 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

I agree on the Tom Daniel kits, monogram made them rather simple.

I think we should just wait and hear what fascinates this new model builder.

Edited by blunc, 08 December 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#25 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

by the time this thread is over, he'll have his driver's license and discover girls

#26 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

If he is into hot rods you can get him the revell snap 34 Ford.

revell-1934-ford-street-rod.jpg

#27 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

I always think of model cars first but, he may like airplanes or Star Wars or any other offerings. More information about what he likes is needed then it's up to you.

Edited by rmvw guy, 08 December 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#28 truckaddict

truckaddict

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Full Name:Al Samms

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

thanks for all the suggestions,  i decided on the lindburg dodge dakota.  I think its a nice combination of some glueing, some painting and not too complicated.

#29 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm sensing a little bias here... just kidding.

Just get this budding modeler started right, proper handling of parts, how to separate from the sprue without mangling the parts, etc...

And, oh yeah, have fun. :)