64 replies to this topic

#61 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,848 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

And it works, doc.  I've used the rack the last few days and it's so much easier to get a particular piece out rather than rifling through a bunch of plastic bags hanging up.

#62 steve7119

steve7119

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well my drawers worked sort of.  Idea was sound, but not enough of them...I made 2 of them 10" wide 3/4 deep.  Thought about adding another one but I don't think that will be enough either.  So now i have some 3/4 thin wall plastic tubing ordered from a local glass shop.  I don't have room for a lot of tubes, but i hope a couple dozen will fit in my space.  if the tubes cover everything, I could have a couple drawers left over....Guessing it will use all of everything i make.  I will post photos when i get finished.

#63 steve7119

steve7119

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Well,, I finally got something finished with the storage issue.  Took a while since i promised myself I would start cleaning up the workbenches in the garage too.  Saturdays in the garage and sundays in the workshop.  Here is a before...Before_zps98ac3b61.jpg

All I had was a few PVC pipes glued together to make a horizontal rack. 

first attempt -2 drawersAttempt1_zps9365d4ce.jpg which didnot provide near enough room.

Found a local glass shop that could get me polycorbonate tubing and cut it to length.  24 pieces 6" for a buck  each and about 2 1/2 feet left over.  I have since found that the tubing can be cut niceley with a pipe cutter.  Went to menards and picked up a sheet of .093 polycarbonate sheet.  Cut out discs with a hollow puch and hammer then glued them to one end.  Made a rack and I am done right?  Still not enough room so I made anther drawer so everything fits and is off the workbench.Final2_zpsb41b0f93.jpgFinal_zps9254e632.jpg

Overall pleased with the results and now I can get to work on something else. Thanks to all of you for your ideas and photos, you gave me the inspiration to make something better than I had!

#64 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

I got some Cheap 1 inch diameter 11 inch tall Clear tube for storage.

They were at Wally's in the Christmas clearance, and filled with Gumballs!!!

I paid 49, Cents each for 6.

Oh, They were Candy Canes!!

Went back for more, but they were gone.

#65 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,848 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Very nice, Steve.  It's nice to be organized and find stuff right away when you need it.