#41 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Thanks John, and yes, Tom is correct.  I also bought several pkgs. of those cranks and handles from Norm Veber and I plan on buying more.  They are perfect for interiors that don't have good side panel detail.  Just paint them chrome silver

and drill a small hole where you want to mount them and put a tiny drop of CA glue in the hole first.  They are really great.

#42 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thats looking great richard. Love  that grille. I gotta get me some of those cranks!

#43 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

and drill a small hole where you want to mount them and put a tiny drop of CA glue in the hole first.  They are really great.

Another tip,  I usually put the part in the mounting hole, then add the CA from the back. No chance of glue showing at all! 

#44 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

OK...  five hours to trim the BMF on this beast...  my eyes hurt...

BODYFOILEDSIDE_zpsd493ec24.jpg

BODYFOILEDREAR_zps676f5961.jpg

BODYFOILEDFRONT_zps50c6521f.jpg

It all came out pretty well...... except...... when I peeled off the excess foil on the long side trim pieces, apparently the new XActo blade cut through the paint in spots and the excess foil pulled off teeny, tiny chips of paint...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!  Plus the BMF is not totally even along the side trim.   This only happened on the side trim.

My plan is to remove the foil on the long side trim, touch up the paint with a teeny brush and allow that to dry.  Then I'll clearcoat the whole body.  Once that is dry and polished (if necessary) I'll reapply the foil on the long side trim, that way the XActo blade will be less likely to cut through the paint again.  It's extra steps that I wasn't planning on but I feel it's necessary to have the model look good.

In the meantime I can reassemble the interior.   Thanks for following along..

#45 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

The paint turned out beautiful. This is really shaping up nicely. Your friend is a lucky man !

#46 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

Nice work. That Rambler is looking good !

#47 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Thanks Bart and Ray.  I appreciate the encouraging words.  I'm kind of bummed about having to fix he paint that chipped because up until that happened everything was coming along great, with no hitches, but hey... "stuff" happens right......

It will all be right at the end of this project...  just a little "bump in the road" so to speak. 

#48 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Richard I have been building models on and off for about 50 years and I almost always have some touching up to do. For some reason final assembly always gives me fits. Most times nobody would notice these "little" imperfections but it bugs the heck out of us doesn't it ?

#49 Scalper

Scalper

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • Full Name:Andre

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

nice work on the trim.

#50 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Ray you are absolutely right.  Everything on this build was going great until I pulled off the excess foil... It really ticked me off...!!!  I also usually have small touch-ups to do at the end of builds, but when the build is a special one for a friend, you want it to be even better than the builds you do for yourself.  A minor inconvenience, but a PITA nonetheless.

Thanks Andre.  Doing the BMF on a model doesn't usually give me troubles...  I'm gonna blame it on the brand new blade... LOL.

#51 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Okedokey......  I touched up the paint, clearcoated the whole body, polished it out and reapplied the long side trim BMF.   Pics follow...

BODYLEFTSIDE1024x763_zpsba6a8c70.jpg

BODYRIGHTSIDE1024x751_zps36277337.jpg

On the right rear of the trunk I attached an AMC sticker that I cut from a photo of the rear of my friend's car.  It reads "Dare to be Different".  I also glued on a PE trunk keyhole.  I also painted the insert between the taillights black as on the 1:1 car, and I painted the gas cap handle red, white and blue as my friend did on the car... I also installed a 3rd brake light as is on the car...

BODYREAR1024x736_zps1938996f.jpg

While the clearcoat was drying I reassembled the interior and then painted the headliner brown as on the car, installed the glass with white glue, and installed a rear view mirror, visors I made from sheet plastic and round courtesy lights (pieces from my parts box)

INTERIOR11024x763_zps5e42af4c.jpg

INTERIOR21024x708_zps90fec60e.jpg

INTERIOR41024x628_zpsdcab1d66.jpg

HEADLINERDETAILS1024x763_zps8aa138d6.jpg

It's looking like we're in the home stretch on this baby now.  Once the white glue sets up I can install the interior and then move on to pretty much FINAL ASSEMBLY..........WoooooooHooooooo....  Can't wait... Neither can my friend......!!!

Thank you all for following along on this.

Edited by Ramfins59, 19 December 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#52 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

Looking real good, you've put in a lot of work in this build, and it shows, very nice.

#53 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

Thank you Geoff.  It won't be long and this puppy will be in Under Glass.

#54 Funkster

Funkster

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Funck

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

That is great. My aunt had one back in the day. I like your model a lot, great detail.

#55 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Thank you Terry.  I appreciate your encouragement.

#56 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

OK...... Stick a fork in it...... This model is FINISHED......!!!!!!   You can see the finished product in UNDER GLASS.   Thanks to everyone for all your kind comments, questions, and encouragement during this build.

Now I can get back to MY OWN projects.