Pictures of your kit collections (waiting to be built)

• You cannot reply to this topic
205 replies to this topic

#21 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

This is just the unbuilt Johan stack . ( thats the only picture I have of the unbuilt stuff ) I have maybe another dozen or so unbuilt Johan mixed Pinto/Mustang/Challenger funnycar kits in unmarked boxes.

All told just the shelves area has approx 10 - 11 kits  wide, 3 kits deep  8 or so kits tall, multiplied by 3 shelves  in my stash . Including, Johan, AMT, MPC and Revell, with just a splash of Monogram kits for good measure . Then there are maybe another 2 or 3  dozen builtups. Most of them are Old Johan / MPC annuals +/or drag car kits.

My storage spot  is 8 ft high, 4 ft wide and 3 kits deep in most places

Johan.JPG

Edited by gtx6970, 14 December 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#22 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

Nice stash guys.... some of you have my all time favorites in them.    If I could send a photo of my dads collection I have I would but can only send a photo to an e-mail address so far.

#23 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

you guys are way too organized!! THIS is a model room!!! its really in transition, a makeover if you will.  in the first picture, behind the "paint booth" (can anyone figure out what it actually is?) are 10 or so computer boxes with kits in them. over the last 5 to 10 years, i have sold off half my stash. just knew i wouldn't build them all.

i guess my real passion is magazines, all the grainger boxes in the last photo have approx, 100 magaziines iin each and there is around 70 or so boxes. misc stacks here and there. would like to hit 10,000 of them, have about a grand to go......

Attached Files

Edited by tubbs, 14 December 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#24 Boreham

Boreham

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Full Name:Punch Confhaola
    AHJS / OPPTS Member
    AHJS(Anti Hi jacking Society)
    OPPTS(One Post Per Thread Society)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

Dunno...just thought it would be fun to see what people have in their arsenal.

Don't defend yourself.

It's a logical enough question and if you regard a forum as a social meeting place to discuss model it's bang on.

It's a similar question to sjow us your work aera.

here's some on my inventory..some I might add.

KGrHqFlEE6pcNO6gqBO5Ko1Dcw60_12.jpg

KGrHqZpoE7BcvjC3pBO5Ko8Ojiw60_12.jpg

IMG_20120713_201158.jpg

IMG_20120713_201039.jpg

IMG_20120713_200851.jpg

IMG_20120713_200343.jpg

IMG_20120713_195918.jpg

Photo0824.jpg

Photo0821.jpg

Photo0823.jpg

Edited by Boreham, 14 December 2012 - 03:39 AM.

#25 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

I'll have to get a pic and post it.  I could list them, but I think the pictures show more.

#26 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

MVC010F-vi.jpg

My old model room before I moved from NJ to PA.  Here's the left side of the main model closet. Kits are two deep, the closet is about six or eight feet long. When I converted this to model use, I thought I'd never out grow it!

MVC008F-vi.jpg

The right side. Note that good stuff like old Craftsman kits and my resins were all tucked away in cabinets.

MVC002F-vi.jpg

And what happened years later!  I certainly did outgrow the closet!

Today my stuff is mainly in model cases that are all marked with the contents.  Pretty much marked "Chevy",  "Ford",  "1930s"  etc. all stored in a basement room. Sometimes it's a chore to find something specific, and I will organize it all on shelves in the future.  I really do need to go through it all as I have multiples of some kits and things I'll never use.  And like many of us when I go digging I find stuff I never saw before!

#27 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

OK...  Here's my stash.  Two Lowe's plastic shelving units... models are more or less in year order on the top 2 shelves.  (Sorry... I posted the same picture twice.)

012-1.jpg

012.jpg

Edited by Ramfins59, 14 December 2012 - 06:48 AM.

#28 kingtoy

kingtoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Full Name:Jeffrey Brown

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Ok, here is my work station and MOST of my collection. :D

DSCI1954.jpg

DSCI1960.jpg

There are still two big boxes and the biggest tote you can get from Walmart filled with them.

#29 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

i do have a question , why do people buy that many boxes just to put on shelfs ?

dotn get me wrong i think it looks freaking cool and i would love to go through those collections and see whats in them ..

already see coolness in the pics ..

but in a way i dont really get it ..

i mean you guys are never going to build all the kits in this life time , some people have multiple kist (the same) and i understand some are rare and might become real valuable ..

atm i have 4 kits in stock myself and those are already burning on the shelf ... ooh i want to start them so bad :)

my way is more like i want to build one kit at a time and i would def. like to make a collection of boxes , just i would want to have boxes in stock i want to build and wil build in a certain time frame ..

so anybody wish to explain the idea / feeling / drive behind the hudge collections ? like is that a hobby on its own , just the collecting of kits ?

and again dont get me wrong i think its awsome to see such extensive kit collections > love it

#30 pandamonium2112

pandamonium2112

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Toone

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I like the "Styrene Hoarders Reality Show" idea. It would appear that all of us are collecting.

I, for one will admit to this. I know that my issue is that i see a kit and get a bunch of ideas on how to build it, so i buy it. But during the build, i find 5 more kits that i just gotta have. Can't build them as fast as i can buy them. And that's how it happens

It really is more of a sickness than a hobby. Maybe i'll bring this up with my therapist?                      Or not!

#31 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

i do have a question , why do people buy that many boxes just to put on shelfs ?

When you've been in the hobby and have been going to shows for 25 years it just sorta grows! I buy stuff I want, and I usually want to have two of them before I'll build one "just in case I screw up a part".  I buy a fair amount of impulse buys, and I find a lot of stuff cheap at shows. Who can resist a $5 kit? 

#32 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

This is an older pic that I have handy, will update later

OTB006.jpg

ModelMess005.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink, 14 December 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#33 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Jorge Lius Borges said something to the fact "we buy more books thinking we are buying the time to read them". Maybe the same psychology...?

I am not innocent either, and I question it enough to periodically purge my shelves.

#34 Boreham

Boreham

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Full Name:Punch Confhaola
    AHJS / OPPTS Member
    AHJS(Anti Hi jacking Society)
    OPPTS(One Post Per Thread Society)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

For Rhodes that don't or cannot comprehend the idea of multiple purchases., there's a variety of benefits. Models usually gain value with age as their availabliliy becomes scarce. Once the production run stops. You buy what interests you at a particular time with the view to build and store it until ihe time is right. These wretched Hoarders are the guys you often buy that rare kit off at swap meets. I really wonder about the intelligence or lack of it some people. This is a basic thread making what should be regarded as a normal enough conversational topic between modelers. Leave the negative Judgment at the door

#35 cartpix

cartpix

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Davidson

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I've got over 300 started or unbuilt

DSC_6570.JPG

DSC_6573.JPG

DSC_6575.JPG

#36 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

dotn get me wrong i think it looks freaking cool and i would love to go through those collections and see whats in them ..

already see coolness in the pics ..

I'll buy multiples of what is my main interests ( old drag cars mainly)  I get what I can , when I can, while I can. Theres been WAAAAAAY to many times in the past I'll pass on something only to find out later it's been dis-continued . And I have to find it in the secondary market at a considerable costs markup.( and I'm a tightwad by nature )

as an example I have nearly 3 dozen lindberg 1964 Dodge and Plymouth kits. And probably close to 18-20  or so Polar Lights Charger / Barracuda / Mustang Funnycars ( multiples of each one make/model)

#37 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I can't believe the amount of kits some of you have.  My LHS isn't stocked nearly as well.

#38 clavender17

clavender17

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Full Name:chris lavender

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I can't believe the amount of kits some of you have.  My LHS isn't stocked nearly as well.

atleast yall have a hobby store lol i have to go to springfield or st.louis  for a kit and i live smack dab in the middle between both   but somehow i manage to stock up !!

#39 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Why do we buy so many? Why not! This is something I love and will try to build it all until I am no longer able! And then my stuff will go back into the world and someone else, hopefully, will carry on!

We are just custodians of the ones we do not build. Yes, they can get valuable, but that is not why I bought them, I bought them to buld them!

My friend Skip's collection is now being liquidated and he had well over a thousand kits! Now some lucky modelers get to enjoy the kits that he helped preserve!

Your mileage may vary!

#40 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Full Name:Brodie Nyrud

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Wow everybody, thanks for all the posts! It is really incredible how many kits some of you have. I could only wish I had all of those...but realistically I'd probably build not even a 1/10th of them! I have a hard time finding the time and ambition to build what kits I have now!