Model Cars Magazine Forum

Experiments with Duplicolr Prism Multi-Color Clear.

Longbox55

I recently did some testing with the Prism effect clear from the Duplicolor Paint Shop line. Here's the results.

Here's the product in question.

001-2_zpsbeaa61a6.jpg

This is what it looks like in the can.

034-2_zps427b46c1.jpg

I did 6 tests, all using Duplicolor FP101 primer as the base. 4 of the tests were done using Perfect Match for the next coat, the final 2 were done using Testors and Tamiya hobby laquers. All the base coats were done with spray cans.

015-2_zps8b777749.jpg

Chrysler GunMetal Gray

016-1_zpsbbed0171.jpg

Toyota Black Metallic

017-2_zps68abaa63.jpg

GM Light Driftwood Metallic

018-2_zps07e1dc0e.jpg

GM Ultra Silver Metallic

020-2_zps22832b6f.jpg

Testors One Shot Aztec Gold

021-2_zps132833f9.jpg

Tamiya Red Metallic

In addition, I did a second test using a candy red (Transparent Kandy Red Kustom Kolor) over the prism clear. Got a heavy metal flake effect, especially with the black and Gunmetal bases.

030-2_zps0e728ec1.jpg

031-2_zpsd8d8a23d.jpg

As mentioned, all the bases were rattle can. The clear and the candy red were both shot using a Paasche Model V with the #5 tip/needle, using 12-15 psi. There was no adverse effect using this clear, or the regular Duplicolor clear, over the hobby laquers. I have not tested them with enamels yet, but I will be trying it soon.

That's more or less what I expect as well, but figure that it can't hurt to try it out. The Paint Shop stuff doesn't seem as hot as regular Duplicolor. Just after I posted this, I shot some of the regular clear over the test spoons, didn't see any adverse reaction over the Kustom Kolor, which is a modified enamel. I plan to test over hobby enamels, and will post my results, good or bad.

it looks cool but i dont know if i would like it on a model, the flakes may be well out of scale

Yeah, the flakes are a bit on the large side, especially for 1/24-1/25 scale. Might be ok on a larger scale build, though. I did pick up a can of their reguler metallic clear, which has a much smaller flake in it. I'll test it, too, and post soon.

Oh, and I have some up with a plan on the larger flake, as I do have soe 1/8 and 1/12 scale builds in the works that need a cool paint job. B)

"there was some pretty huge flake applied to dune buggies and bass boats years ago."

Yeah, I remember seeing some show cars that had flakes that were 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I don't think they could be sprayed, but sort of "blown" onto a wet substrate. This stuff would work great for that.

Edited by Kit Basher

I used that Duolicolor spray "system" on one of my 1 16th Kenworth Aerodynes, it turned out nice but that paint is pretty expensive if I recall.

The color shifts from purple to green (I have a pic of the truck but with the flash it just looks totally green metallic).

post-9657-0-37751700-1355997371_thumb.pn

Lowes has some spray cans of similar stuff that is going non-stock in a lot of stores and has been reduced from somewhere around $13 a can to half price or whatever the store wants to mark them down for.

I got several cans the other day for $5 each.

They come in a gold to green shift or a purple to blue shift (I like the latter a lot, it's going on my 1 16th Daytona conversion).

I will get the name and post it and maybe even the item numbers.

Lowes is pretty funny with reduced stuff.

If you ask for a Department Manager and shoot them a price, you'll normally do just fine.

Just a quick update, I've expanded the test to include the Metallic Clear from the Paint Shop line, as well as testing the Paint Shop clears over hobby enamels and acrylics. No pix at this time, I'm letting the paint dry first, but so far there's no adverse reaction to using it over any of the hobby enamels or acrylics I've tried it on.

Alright, the clear has dried, so now for the 2nd test pix! B)

First, I'll start with the Metallic Clear over Duplicolor and hobby laquers.

002-2.jpg

Here's the Metallic clear in the can. Almost looks more like a pearl silvery-white once it's mixed up.

005-2.jpg

Over GM Metallic Black.

007-3.jpg

Testors Laquer System Gloss Black

004-3.jpg

Tamiya TS11 Maroon

I'm pleased with how it looks on these colors, especially over black. This clear seems to have a bluish tint to the metallic in it, which tends to make it not work well with certain colors. As before, no problems using it over hobby laquers.

Now for the next test. For this part, I used hobby enamels (Testors), 1 spray can and the other airbrushed, airbrushed Auto Air Creatix, airbrushed Tamiya acrylic, Kustom Kolor spray can enamel, and just for giggles (and because it was handy) Valspar John Deere Green tractor paint.

One difference I did this time was to split each spoon into 3 sections. The top has the Metallic clear, the bottom is the Prism clear, the middle was left alone for a test of just the regular clear on its own.

011-2.jpg

Model Master Magnese Brown spay can.

013-2.jpg

Testors Boyd Grape Pearl. I was very impressed with how this one looks. This one was also my first attempt at using Donn Yosts method of using cheap laquer thinner for enamels. I have to say, it works!

009-3.jpg

Auto Air black.

008-3.jpg

Tamiya X-13 Metallic Blue. Again, first time spraying Tamiya acrylic. I had a bad experience spraying water base paints in the past, so was reluctant to try it. After this test, I will be using more of the Tamiya acrylics for spraying in the future.

016-1.jpg

Valspar JD Green.

I saw no lifting or wrinkling, so I would feel safe using the Duplicolor Clears over hobby enamels and acrylics. As with the earlier test, all the airbrushed paints were shot with my trusty Paashe Model V dual action.

One more note I'd like to add, the Prism and Metallic clears are intended as a mid coat, and should be cleared over. While they do have a decent shine to them, they do have a slight texture that needs to buried in regular clear.

I will no one more test, shooting a Kandy over the Metallic clear to what effect is makes. Then It'll be on to an actual Guinea Pig, namely the Dirty Donny Chevy van.