26 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

It's been almost 20 years old since Monogram released it's '93 Chevy S-10 standard cab shortbed 4x2 pickup, but this kit has held up very well, mostly due to the kits' excellent design and engineering. This kit was a companion to the '91 GMC Syclone released by Revell in 1992 (reviewed here: http://www.modelcars...0279&hl=syclone) , so there is some parts sharing, just like on the real Chevy S-10 and GMC S-15 pickups. Two other versions of the S-10 kit include the "Waverider" custom, kit #2438, issued in 1994 and molded in metallic green, and the Lowrider 3'n 1, kit #85-2569 from 1999, which contained parts to build any of the three variations.

To be totally honest, I have never built any of the S-10 versions of this kit, but I have built the Syclone, and I recall it going together without any issues, and the parts fit was excellent, so I would expect the S-10s to be a tad easier, since the engine compartment and front suspension/drivetrain is a bit less complicated. My only complaints with the stock S-series kit are the "missing" Cameo body cladding pieces, and the Goodyear VR50 tires, which would've been too lo-pro for a stock '93. There is plenty of detail present to make a very nice looking model when completed, and seeing as this kit was released during the high point of the Revell-Monogram period, it's no surprise this is still a great kit almost twenty years after it was first released.

The only four aftermarket resin parts I'm aware of for use with this kit are:

1) All American Model's out-of-production 2-door Blazer body: http://www.rocketfin...uct.cfm?id=2350

2) VCG Resins' '84 Blazer body, which is still a WIP: http://vcgresin.atspace.com/

3) Perry's Resin's extended cab ("Club Cab Conversion"), which I think is also OOP, but included the cab, interior tub, and chassis.

4) Perry's Resin's '82-84(?) grille conversion

#2 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

It is a good kit, I do like the detail that they were able to put into it. It's too bad that they didn't make a Blazer/Jimmy version themselves. It's also too bad they didn't offer parts to make a 4WD version. Wouldn't have been too difficult since they could have just used the Syclone parts and figured out how to raise the suspension.

#3 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Nice review. Makes me want to pick one up sounds like a good one

#4 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Another thing, I may be wrong but from what I've seen, they didn't offer those wheels on the 2WD versions, only on the 4WD versions (due to different offsets.)

#5 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

One thing that jumps out at me is the very decent color it's molded in. I'd be tempted to polish that up and finish it unpainted.

#6 Jared Roach

Jared Roach

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Full Name:Jared Roach

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Nice review. I'm a huge a fan of the 1:1 and the kits. The syclone kit actually is a 91 because gm made 2995 and only 3 in 92, then they cancelled it. 

Regarding the cameo body kit. The kit actually represents the cameo el package which ONLY included the front bumper cover and rear ground effects(not in kit though), and it is less rare then the normal cameo. Overall they are great kits and I got a waverider/2 syclones(one will become a typhoon)/ and two  standard 93's to build.

Here's one I started awhile ago. It's on amt 86 el camino rims and tires. The kit wheels are very incorrect for a 2wd.  

129.jpg

Edited by Jared Roach, 19 December 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#7 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

I had a few of those when I was building truck models in the 90s. Very nice kits. Those were "The Days", AMT, Revell, and Monogram putting out kits of new trucks and SUVs! My father in law had a base model 4 cylinder with a biege, kind of sunset paint scheme - wouldn't mind building that now.

Edited by Erik Smith, 19 December 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#8 440 Dakota

440 Dakota

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Keller

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I love that kit and 1:1 S-10s and have had many of them in various forms,wish Revell would reissue it,and some aftermarket support would be great cause those trucks are still very pouplar

#9 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Another thing, I may be wrong but from what I've seen, they didn't offer those wheels on the 2WD versions, only on the 4WD versions (due to different offsets.)

That is correct, they are the 4x4 wheels. I have the same ones on my '85. Also, on the 1:1, the wheels will only interchange one way due to the offset/backspace differences. The 2wd wheels can be installed on the 4x4, but not the other way around.

#10 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

I've had a few 1:1's that bodystyle (a pair of slammed '91 SWB's,an '87 extended cab stock 2wd and an '88 4x4 "Sport"),I'm no expert either,but it looks right to my eye,and +2,those were indeed 4x4 only wheels,though I have ran them until-I-could-get-better on a slammed 2wd :P Great review :D I wish Revellogram would see fit to reissue it. I have ONE in the stash salvaged after the house fire,but not all of it survivied :(

#11 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

If Revell were to re-release it, I would prefer they do the 3n1 version since it provides plenty of extra parts.

#12 Greg L.

Greg L.

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Onlinetoomuch Layton

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi, I built an '80s long bed version from this kit.  I used a 4 cyl engine from a Nissan truck kit and the round gauges from a Cyclone kit.  I made window cranks too, since the kit had power window switches.  I also removed the abs module from the inner fender etc..   I think the rims I used were from the Amt '96? blazer custom rims and tires.  I weathered it slightly and added try transfer letters to the doors.  I also opened the gas filler door and added some detail to it, just like the 1:1 movie vehicle. (before the chase scene with the semi truck)

http://www.modelcars...lery&image=2928

here is a pic of it, from my profile on this site, other detail pics of it are also in my 'gallery' in my profile.

I used a Perrys resin '80s S-10 grille and at least 2  S-10 kits to lengthen the bed etc, for the Terminator 2 chase scene version. 

I had a 1;1 '91 extra cab and also have a resin extra cab from Perrys, both probably are not made any more, they were some of his first castings and it took a long time to get them.

Edited by Greg L., 18 March 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#13 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Kurth

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

wow, thanks for posting the pics of this kit. I've always assumed it was a 4x4 on account of the wrong wheels and the Syclone version. Now I have to get one!

Any good source for an Iron Duke?

#14 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Any good source for an Iron Duke?

I think the MPC '84 Pontiac Fiero included the 4-cylinder Iron Duke engine, but I've never seen a clear pic of it, and you'd still need to source a RWD transmission for behind the engine, too.

#15 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

.   I think the rims I used were from the Amt '93 blazer custom rims and tires.

93 and 94 Blazers were square body.  Did AMT actually make a square body Blazer kit?

#16 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

wow, thanks for posting the pics of this kit. I've always assumed it was a 4x4 on account of the wrong wheels and the Syclone version.

Ya know, one could always imagine those wheels were an aftermarket fabrication...just like chromed 18" IROC Camaro wheels.  :D

Edited by Skydime, 11 March 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#17 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Did AMT actually make a square body Blazer kit?

No, it was never available in 1/25 scale kit form. A resin 4-door Blazer conversion was made by All American Models in the '90s, and VCG Resins is working on a 2-door, but only the 2-door second gen was available as a kit.

#18 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

I had the "Waverider" S-10. But, to me, it looked to be closer to 1/24 scale than 1/25. I know it states 1/25 on the box. But.... the wheels look a lot bigger than a 15" wheel and the tires are the same tires that Monogram used in a lot of their other 1/24 kits. A friend saw it on the shelf and wanted it. So, I sold it to him. I need to snag me another one and check it out again. I always get a chuckle when I see these generation S-10's that are 2wd and someone has stuck a 4wd rearend in it. :lol:  You just know they went hmmmm when they stuck their wheels and tires on and they stuck out way past the fenders. 

#19 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

No, it was never available in 1/25 scale kit form. A resin 4-door Blazer conversion was made by All American Models in the '90s, and VCG Resins is working on a 2-door, but only the 2-door second gen was available as a kit.

There was a 4-door 2nd Gen Blazer by AMT as well, but it was in the Snap-Fast line.

#20 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Kurth

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

I think the MPC '84 Pontiac Fiero included the 4-cylinder Iron Duke engine, but I've never seen a clear pic of it, and you'd still need to source a RWD transmission for behind the engine, too.

I'd need another one of those pesky Borg-Warner T5's to go on it! Although I'm pretty sure the S10 T5's were a different case than a Mustang or Camaro version.