26 replies to this topic

#21 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,969 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

I'd need another one of those pesky Borg-Warner T5's to go on it! Although I'm pretty sure the S10 T5's were a different case than a Mustang or Camaro version.

They were, and the Astro/Safari main cases too.  :(  I may need to scrounge up one of the MPC 3GN GM F-body kits for a V8 T-5 bellhousing, but you might be able to modify the T-bird's BH to work behind the Iron Duke.

#22 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Kurth

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

They were, and the Astro/Safari main cases too.  :(  I may need to scrounge up one of the MPC 3GN GM F-body kits for a V8 T-5 bellhousing, but you might be able to modify the T-bird's BH to work behind the Iron Duke.

The main part of the case looks to be about the same, it's just the tail housing that is different, the S10 unit has the shifter closer to the front, the F/Fox units are on the rear. Looks like maybe the F/Fox unit would make a decent stand in with not to much modification.

S10T5.jpg

Ok... Totally hijaking this thread and I do feel bad about it... I'll stop now.

#23 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Kurth

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

I learned a lot about the T5 when I went looking for one to put into my '95 Astro, but you're right, it's the tailhousings and parts contained within them which differ the most between the various T5s. I have some long term S-10 parts plans, so this isn't totally off topic. I think a long bed and frame to match would be a good thing to have available. 

Funny... I had an 87 Astro with an Iron Duke and a T5 years ago... Could have walked faster backward but it was kind of neat! Keep me in mind if/when you decide to cast some of them, I'd be interested in several no matter the configuration.

To the wheel discussion... Seems like all the kit makers reuse the same tires over and over whether appropriate or not (tires must either be hard to do, or expensive to license, or something?) it seems bizarre to me that they would tool up the 4wd wheels for the S10 , but later do the AWD parts (which are mostly indistinguishable from 4wd parts) for the Syclone. Can't help but wonder if there were some missing memo's on the S10 project back then. We might easily have been having a thread about suitable donor kits for 2wd front suspension instead! biggrin.png

#24 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

To the wheel discussion... Seems like all the kit makers reuse the same tires over and over whether appropriate or not (tires must either be hard to do, or expensive to license, or something?) it seems bizarre to me that they would tool up the 4wd wheels for the S10 , but later do the AWD parts (which are mostly indistinguishable from 4wd parts) for the Syclone. Can't help but wonder if there were some missing memo's on the S10 project back then. We might easily have been having a thread about suitable donor kits for 2wd front suspension instead! biggrin.png

The Syclone kit was released first, the regular S10 was a bit later. In fact, on some of the trees, parts of the Syclone AWD system (front diff center section and 1/2 shafts) are present in the 2wd S10 kit. Either way, it's still bizzare that they would have tooled up the wrong wheels for the 2wd. It would have been more accurate if they had used a set 16" Camaro wheels, which at least were a legit option on 2wd S trucks.

#25 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

No, it was never available in 1/25 scale kit form. A resin 4-door Blazer conversion was made by All American Models in the '90s, and VCG Resins is working on a 2-door, but only the 2-door second gen was available as a kit.

Thanks Casey, I actually didn't know about the resin 4 door square body.  I was pretty sure that no production square body blazer kits was the case....must have just been a typo.  No biggie.

Edited by Skydime, 12 March 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#26 hvymtl

hvymtl

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Smith

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

I have one in the stash and one started along with a syclone all first issues. the wheels turned me off on the S-10so shelved it . But like already said it is a well detailed and thought out kit for sure. Some of thier best work . Michael

#27 gwolf

gwolf

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Wolf

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

I would love to get one of those S-10 kits (with stock grill)...