#1 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

What can you guys tell me about Floquil paint ?  Whats your opinions on it ?  What are the pros and cons you know about it ?  Is it comparable to Model Masters ?  Is it better or worse then Model Masters .  Thanks for any info in advance.

#2 kurth

kurth

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Full Name:Kurt

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

I like them.  I use  a lot of the primer in my airbrush, it covers very well and is easier than using a spray can.  I also like the various shades of silver, like Old silver, etc when I need multiple shades to break up things like exhaust systems. The different shades of black are good when you do not want BLACK but more of a very dark gray, again to give varied shades. They airbursh very well, you can use Testors generic enamel thinner, or the Floquil specific thinner, DIO-SOL.  

I like them better than Model Master. They also have a nicer smell. They also come in bigger bottles.  I do not think I have ever used them with a brush so I can not comment. 

Edited by kurth, 22 December 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#3 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph Osborn

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

Fantastic paint. Very easy to use, but the downside is that it is solvent-based and must be used with good ventilation. Several years ago I used Floquil gray thinned with lacquer thinner as a primer for many models and it worked very well.

#4 Swamp Dog

Swamp Dog

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Full Name:David Rose

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

i was up in Detroit on a job and went to Great Lake Hobbies and they told me that Floquil didn't make paint anymore..where can i get it,,??

#5 Mike 1017

Mike 1017

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Full Name:Michael A Permanian

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

MICRO MARK SELLS FLOQUIL

#6 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

i was up in Detroit on a job and went to Great Lake Hobbies and they told me that Floquil didn't make paint anymore..where can i get it,,??

Floquil is made by Testors, no?  Still available.  LOOK HERE

It is marketed more to railroad modelers. I have a few bottles - great selection of colors.

#7 Swamp Dog

Swamp Dog

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Full Name:David Rose

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

thanks men..

#8 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Well the description says Floquil, but according to the bottles it appears its Polly Scale ?  Is there a difference ?

#9 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Well the description says Floquil, but according to the bottles it appears its Polly Scale ?  Is there a difference ?

I think the Pollyscale is acrylic. The Floquil is enamel.

#10 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,931 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Kurth gave a good synopsis of Floquil ,,, it is very nice paing and has been a staple of railroad modelers for longer than AMT has been producing cars! It go on very well by brush. When I have to brush paint something I pray there's the color I need in Floquil!

#11 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Floquil - enamel

Polly Scale - acrylic

Both are very very good paints. I just used the Floquil enamel with the Testors "Universal" thinner and the results were great.

As stated the various colors of black and silver are a plus. I used Grimy Black for the interior of a new Challenger and it contrasts well with the black embossing powder carpet. It is a good representation of the real cars dark charcoal gray interior. I compared it with my B-I-L's car. 

G

#12 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

• You'll likely have a hard time finding the original Floquil paints, as they were discontinued years ago, in favor of water-borne acrylics.   Floquil originaly was an alkyd enamel, using a solvent that was nearly as "hot" as any lacquer out there--great paint, dried down in very thin coats, but a bear to use on plastics.   Floquil, along with the water-borne acrylic line from Polly S, were acquired by RPM, who also owns Testors along with Krylon and Duplicolor, the Floquil model railroad colors being spun into the Polly S water-born acrylic line over 15yrs ago.  Almost all the original Floquil paints were flat finish, and as far as I know, Floquil-Polly S still is as well.

Art

#13 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Floquil's selling point was their pigment size which allowed the painter to apply a "scale coat" (thickness) to the model. oddly enough, there was also a Scale Coat paint somewhere along the way.

i think their doom was the volitility of vehicle - and that awful thinner. one of the seven deadly household chemicals we all grew up with under the kitchen sink - tuolene. the stuff could be used for dry cleaning fluid.

if opinions are asked, my vote is to stay away even though it's been reformulated. use acrylic. (polly s, tamiya, whatever else is out there) think of the cumulative effects of this, and every other chemical you're exposed to in a lifetime.

know any old body men who smoke cigarettes?

Addendum: the very next thread i read   http://www.modelcars...wtopic=67218=   see post 'lucky' #13.

Edited by southpier, 24 December 2012 - 12:13 AM.