#41 RandyB.

RandyB.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Bodkin

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

Thanks Alan and Richard. This build is coming together quicker than I initially anticipated. Body is now on the chassis but there is still much to do.

#42 RandyB.

RandyB.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

It's taking shape!

Pictures261.jpg

Pictures260.jpg

Pictures262.jpg

#43 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

some very nice work Randy, the valve covers look so much better now! looks like the engine is based on the 292? those were very tough engines, they even had a very distinct sound IMO

#44 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

Thanks Carl and Brett. Thanks for that info Brett but I guess it is too late now to change things. Funny thing is, I was initially going to do the interior in gray!

Something to remember for the next one, eh?  This looks like the kind of model we'll want to build multiples of.  I've already got several planned!

It's pretty common for these 50's mid- to entry-level cars that Revell's been doing recently to only have one interior color scheme and very few options.  The '57 Chevy 150 only had one scheme, as did the '50 Olds 88 Club Coupe, though the kit replicates the deluxe interior - there was still only one color choice until you got to "open" models like convertibles or the Holiday hardtop. 

I just had a conversation the other day with my grandfather, who actually owned a base-model 57 Ford Custom, I asked him if he remembered what color it was, he said "Nah, we didn't worry about those things back then.  We just cared about what kind of a deal we could get." 

#45 slammedi'am

slammedi'am

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Harrold

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Very nice work!

#46 impcon

impcon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Cook

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

I just had a conversation the other day with my grandfather, who actually owned a base-model 57 Ford Custom, I asked him if he remembered what color it was, he said "Nah, we didn't worry about those things back then.  We just cared about what kind of a deal we could get." 

:D  :D  Spoken like a true Grandpa!!!

My best buddy when I was inmy teens bought his first car - a mint green '57 Ford Custom 2 door post - or "coach" as we sometimes called a sedan back then. With it's reliable, but tired old 223 and three speed manual transmission, it was still a go getter. he drove it for a year or so until he bought a gorgeous '58 fairlane 500 2 door hardtop - dark green and white just like this: 5820Ford20Hardtop2003_zpsfa10789b.jpg

It was also a 6 cylinder three speed car and he drove it for a few months until; it was rear ended and written off. It was replaced with a black '59 Fairlane Club Victoria 2 dr ht. Ahh but :mellow:  :unsure:  :)  for the good old days...

#47 Lovefordgalaxie

Lovefordgalaxie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Full Name:Túlio Lazzaroni

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

some very nice work Randy, the valve covers look so much better now! looks like the engine is based on the 292? those were very tough engines, they even had a very distinct sound IMO

Yes, the 312 and the 292 are virtually indistinguishable from the outside. Both are Y-Blocks, and the main difference are the crankshaft with bigger bearings, and pistons. The first Ford version of the Y-Block (not considering the Lincoln) came in 1954 with 239 cubes. Then Ford enlarged the engine to 272, 292, and 312 cubes, for example.

For me, the Y-Block is the second best sounding V8 engine ever, only superated by the Ford Flathead V8.

#48 RandyB.

RandyB.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks guys for the comments!...I should have this baby all finished up by later tonight and then I need to find a decent day outside to get some finished pics to post. It's sitting on my bench almost done and I really like the way it looks......kudos to Revell for a very nice representation of a '57 Ford Custom!

#49 RandyB.

RandyB.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Well I finished this build off last night and was able to get the pictures taken outside. Revell did a very nice job on this one and got everything right to come up with a nice representation of the 1957 Ford Custom Tudor. I just need to add the year to the rear license plate and it's officially completed. Have a look and see what you think and thanks for following my topic.

Revell1957FordCustom1_zps02233e1f.jpg

Revell1957FordCustom2_zps862dcb2f.jpg

Revell1957FordCustom4_zps864dd42b.jpg

Revell1957FordCustom3_zps68638e27.jpg

Edited by RandyB., 03 January 2013 - 05:16 AM.

#50 RandyB.

RandyB.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Three more pics.

Revell1957FordCustom5_zpscc533a1b.jpg

Revell1957FordCustom6_zps087ca779.jpg

Revell1957FordCustom7_zps8417d92b.jpg

#51 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

Looks absolutely gorgeous!  Stance looks perfect and those AMT Firestones look great, I plan on putting a set on one of mine when I do a showroom-stock build, the skinny WW’s or the blackwall side would look just as nice. (My first one’s probably gonna be dropped a little with some mid-60’s mags and smaller and wider skinny WW’s).  Did you do any tweaking to the suspension, or is that how it sits right out of the box?

Revell did a great job with this one, but knowing who they hired to design the kit I didn’t expect anything less.  I won’t mention him by name, as I’m not sure he or Revell want it to be public knowledge (I work in the industry), but let’s just say that inside the industry he’s a legend and we’ve probably all got closets full of classic models he designed, but this is only the 2nd release I know of that he’s done for Revell.   He also designed the new-tool 70’ Cuda due later this year, so anybody that’s worried about how that will turn out can relax a little knowing he’s on the job!     

#52 scaleauto

scaleauto

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Full Name:Vaughn Munroe

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

That is awesome Randy

#53 Geno

Geno

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Mills

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Wow, that is gorgeous. I love the 57/58 Fords. B)

#54 Sixties Sam

Sixties Sam

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Full Name:Sam Stitzer

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Wow! Randy, that came out nice! Great color and foil work. I'm right behind you on my build in a pale green color. I was going to use the blackwall tires, but I liked your wide whites, so I painted the kit tire sidewalls. I have a set of fender skirts from an AMT 57 kit from the 1960's, and I might put them on this one. Back in the day, skirts were so popular that you would see them even on low line sedans, wagons, and even on pickup trucks! I think their owners thought the skirts gave their cars a more "highline" look.

Sam

#55 BHarrison

BHarrison

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Harrison

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I think this is a really cool build. I like the colors alot.

#56 RandyB.

RandyB.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Did you do any tweaking to the suspension, or is that how it sits right out of the box?

Thanks everyone for the great comments on this build.

Brett....I didn't have to do anything to the suspension. That's the way it sits right out of the box.

Is the '70 Cuda you are mentioning that is to be released later this year 1/25th scale?

#57 vintagercr

vintagercr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Martin

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Randy that looks beautiful! Nice work

#58 fury3

fury3

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:David Louis

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Beautiful Build, Randy. It's nice to know this kit is of top quality....without accuracy or curb riding height issues. A road not traveled often by Revell in the last few years. Guess they have been listening. Fury3

#59 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Darn thats nice..I love the color!

#60 slammedi'am

slammedi'am

MCM Ohana