Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Buzz: New Pocher Kits

sjordan2

It's hard to say what the "real" price of other Pocher kits is, because they're all long out of production and they sell at "collector" prices now, highly inflated and not "real" in any sense. I'm curious to see how they will price this one. I remember when Pochers were still being produced, they sold for roughly $200-400 or so. If they price this one in that range (or maybe around $500 at today's prices) you can count me in.

It's hard to say what the "real" price of other Pocher kits is, because they're all long out of production and they sell at "collector" prices now, highly inflated and not "real" in any sense. I'm curious to see how they will price this one. I remember when Pochers were still being produced, they sold for roughly $200-400 or so. If they price this one in that range (or maybe around $500 at today's prices) you can count me in.

Thats not bad really, if it sells for what you said, I might have to get one myself, well after I save up for it :lol: , I cant see spending that much on one model kit at once, but I would love to though

When you consider the prices of the 1/12 Tamiya Porsche Carrera and Enzo Ferrari, you've got to expect the Pocher Lambo to be way north of there.

That is exactly what scares me, on top of that; the quality of the Aventador looks better then the previous models they had and quality usually equals more dollars.

At that price, they're shutting out a lot of potential customers.

The price mentioned in my link above says it includes German VAT (Value Added Tax), but that retailer says they do not add VAT to shipments abroad. Therefore, you can subtract 19% from the price, which brings it down to about $660 USD.

BUT what would the price be in the US after markups OR what would shipping from Europe cost? Anyway, I've found that for many products, early price estimates tend to be overly rosy.

Edited by sjordan2

for 10K I better be able to drive the thing!!

Custom models from Gerald Wingrove (1/15 scale) or Fine Art Models go for upwards of $30,000, and you can't drive them even if you're Stuart Little. Wealthy collectors pay for and justify their purchases in many different ways. What's lodging worth? There's somewhat of a difference between my apartment and Downton Abbey. None of this has to do with fools and their money though, clearly, people without the proper means can spend money foolishly. I really get tired of the "more money than brains" idea.

Hornby products (well, Airfix at least, as that's all I have first hand knowledge of dealing with) tend to be very competitively priced in the US, there's not a lot of difference between UK pricing and US pricing. For example, the current issue of their big Bentley goes for an MSRP of 100 GBP ($158 at current exchange rate) while US MSRP is - what do you know - $159.95.

I would expect that whatever Hornby says is MSRP in the UK will be what they go for in the US, if normal Hornby channels are used to distribute them here. I'm still waiting for more info from Hornby, they were not allowed to talk about anything regarding Pocher before Nurnberg.

If this kit is a major improvement over the past Pocher "modern" kits (Porsche and Ferraris), then I can see paying $600 or so. But if this kit is on the same level as those others, no way will they be seeing 600 of my dollars. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I think I read somewhere that this one will be 650 parts or so. That would indicate a higher level of detail than the Ferraris and the Porsche. At least I hope so!

I contacted Hornby as an Airfix dealer to see if the usual channels in North America that already import Airfix and Humbrol would also be carrying the Pocher brand, and they told me that yes they would expect that they would, but that it is up to the individual importer as to whether they wanted to carry the line.