#21 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Okay here we go with the Camino. I started by playing with the wheels and tires. Since it's going to be a Street Machine, I decided to go with my all time favorite wheels: Centerline! I changed the tires too. For the rear, I chose wider Centerlines than regular/most common ones and front wheels are very narrow.

PC240569.jpg

I had to do a little test fit to see that they fit fine.

PC240572.jpg

PC240571.jpg

Then I started the engine. I painted the block and some other parts Tamiya Red and decided to go with Aluminium intake manifold, which is from the kit, too. Even if it's bit flat, I thought it will look good once I install good carburetor and Air Cleaner on it.  Weiand valve covers are from the parts box.

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

#22 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

The rules!

Start Jan. 1, 2013. Finish before Dec. 1, 2013.

You guys sure are in a hurry. 

#23 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

Whoops, sorry guys. :wacko:  Missed that one.

Well I'll put it back in the box waiting for the January first. :D

#24 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hmm................so how many of you are going to raid a perfectly good kit to build this project? I'm considering hacking up a brand new Revell '67 Charger for the roof. :unsure:

I must be nuts.

Edited by Jantrix, 26 December 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#25 Del Austin

Del Austin

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Full Name:Del Austin II

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Looks like an interesting challenge. I'll have to dig through the stash and see if I can come up with something.

#26 Cool Hand

Cool Hand

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Full Name:Luke

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hmm................so how many of you are going to raid a perfectly good kit to build this project? I'm considering hacking up a brand new Revell '67 Charger for the roof. :unsure:

I must be nuts.

Yep,im going to be raiding a few kits for parts.

#27 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Ok ,Well it's a General Lee with a hose and wing to glue on. :blink:

I'll get some pictures of what I got this week end.

Pat, don't forget that the grille in that crappy nose piece is off center, the only thing that kit is good for is recycling into a new kit as far as I'm concerned!

SamsDuster1001-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike, 26 December 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#28 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

I may get in on this once I get my Glue Bomb Invitational build done. :lol:  It's currently on the bench and I'm planning on it not coming off until it's finished. I have it around 90% finished. The last 10% is killing me though! I'm kinda leaning toward the MPC Firefighter Mustang. It's been calling to me lately for some reason. But, I'll see when the time comes to get started. I also have an old JoHan '72 Torino that I'm planning on doing a detailed build with using the Revell '70 Torino Cobra.

#29 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'll be in with a Lindberg Lincoln at some point. For those of you unaware of the kit- it has a multipiece body, one-piece all-chrome engine/engine pay piece, and generally lacks anything that could be called detail. You'll see once I post some pictures.

#30 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Looking forward to having both of you.

#31 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Full Name:Johann H. Buerfeind V

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

O.K., I'm in with a Monogram '39 Chevy coupe.  Exhaust and gas tank molded to frame; Body and floor pan refuse to get along; No detail on interior door panels - and I don't mean poor detail, I mean zero-zip-zilch-nadda smooth black plastic;  Engine kinda looks like an early ZL-1 if you tilt your head and rub Vaseline on your glasses;  Headers look like a pile of melted P.V.C. under a wet tarp.  The tires and centerlines are nice, though. 

I can't wait to get started!

#32 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Shardik (a Richard Adams fan I assume) you and your Chevy are added to the roster. I'm building one now and can vouch for it's lousiness. Wait until you see the hole in the firewall for no particular reason.

#33 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Roger, you might want to keep in mind that Ford went to a full frame under the Torino in '72, the '70 is a unibody.

Believe it or not, closest out there are the AMT and Revell Olds Cutlass 442 frames.

Yeah, I know they went to a full frame in '72 and up. But,there's no way I'm putting a totally incorrect GM chassis under it. I'm only using parts of the '70 Torino chassis. I have a plan in mind. ;)

#34 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Full Name:Johann H. Buerfeind V

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Shardik (a Richard Adams fan I assume) you and your Chevy are added to the roster. I'm building one now and can vouch for it's lousiness. Wait until you see the hole in the firewall for no particular reason.

You're sharp;  very few people get the Richard Adams connection (it's a little less cliched than Bear or Grizzly).

Do you have a build thread for yours?  Maybe I can get some ideas... on second thought, I've probably got too many ideas already :D .  As for raiding other kits for parts,  the problem is the scale.  Everything I would want to scavenge is 1:25 and the Chevy claims to be 1:24.

I'll post some pic's of the lumps and bits tomorrow.

Edited by Shardik, 28 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#35 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

You're sharp;  very few people get the Richard Adams connection (it's a little less cliched than Bear or Grizzly).

Do you have a build thread for yours?  Maybe I can get some ideas... on second thought, I've probably got too many ideas already :D .  As for raiding other kits for parts,  the problem is the scale.  Everything I would want to scavenge is 1:25 and the Chevy claims to be 1:24.

Well I'll admit, I recognized Shardik from the Stephen King Dark Tower Series in which he has a great bearlike machine called Shardik, one of several literary shout out's he does to Richard Adams. I have yet to read the Richard Adams novels, but they are on my list of things to do.

The Chevy IS 1/24. If you're interested, I have a folder in my Photobucket called 39 Chevy gasser. Just a few starting pics in there now, but there will be more soon. As you know, good 1/24 parts are hard to find. I'm using the I-6 from the 1/24 '53 Chevy coupe. Wheels, tires and front axle from the 1/24 Boothill Express. How I ever accumulated such a collection of 1/24 is quite beyond me.  :unsure:

A lot of Monogram from the 70's is 1/24. Do a good search on Ebay once you figure out what you are going with the kit.

#36 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm in with a Revell 57 Ford Ranchero, the chop top multi piece body with the wrong length doors mess of a kit. Going for a corrected to stock build.

#37 Road Runner 79

Road Runner 79

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Full Name:Pat Minarick

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Pat, don't forget that the grille in that crappy nose piece is off center, the only thing that kit is good for is recycling into a new kit as far as I'm concerned!

SamsDuster1001-vi.jpg

I haven't even looked that close to see that ,but I did notice how wavy the body is ,I should just make a derby car out of it :)

#38 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm in with a Revell 57 Ford Ranchero, the chop top multi piece body with the wrong length doors mess of a kit. Going for a corrected to stock build.

:o Whoa. Good luck with that. I've added you to the roster.

#39 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

:o Whoa. Good luck with that. I've added you to the roster.

Can I join in with one of those too?  Mine is worse still because it's also a glue bomb that I built in my teens.  I tried to un-chop it, but I bit off more than I could chew at the time.

#40 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

I have no problem with folks building the same kit. After all we are here to support each other, so the experience of one will only help the other.

I'll add you to the roster if you are sure you wanna go that route.