Esci Paris Dakar Van Canon (Ford Transit)

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

The Ford Transit is Europe's version of the domestic E-Series/Econoline line here in the US. They are full-sized, RWD vans (not the compact FWD Transit Connect which is sold here), and from what I hear will eventually replace the now 20-year-old Ford van design.

Years ago, Esci did an early '80's model of the van. This is the Paris Dakar version, but other than molded body colors and decals, all the kits were the same otherwise. I've found four versions so far- this, the molded-in-yellow Hertz version, and two plain versions, molded in red and burgundy.

TRANSIT001_zpsfdd116b2-vi.jpg

TRANSIT001_zpsb2cd662f-vi.jpg

TRANSIT002_zpsa0ec57c7-vi.jpg

TRANSIT003_zpse46553ec-vi.jpg

TRANSIT004_zps0a284e3f-vi.jpg

TRANSIT005_zps793cf876-vi.jpg

It is 'just' a curbside kit, but it does feature opening front doors and an opening rear cargo door. Interior and chassis detail are pretty good too- I'm reminded of similar-vintage Fujimi and Aoshima kits in those areas. The only parts that might not be quite up to snuff are the head and taillamp lenses, which have mounting tabs and pins (respectively) which remain visible after assembly. And I can't say this is universal, but every Esci Transit I've seen has had the decal sheet stuck to the instruction sheet at this point. That being said, the decals are well-printed.

It's a simple kit, apparently they're pretty rare, though, and they aren't easy to track down for a decent price. Still, they're nicely done, and many different variants can be built. I've seen Transits of this body style with sliding side doors (as in the driver's and front passenger door), and I've seen cutaway versions built as wreckers. It would be a cool kit to have if you are into light commercial kits, Ford trucks, or European vehicles- or any combination of the three.

#2 Greg L.

Greg L.

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Onlinetoomuch

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I found one of these van kits at last years NNL east.  Maybe I will have it done for this years show, for their van theme.

I tried to research the van that was actually in the Paris-Dakar race.  I could not find much but I did find a photo of one similar.

The vans were heavily modified for that race, including a 4x4 set up.

Im not sure about the rims in the kit, it seems like they need lug nut detail.

Still a neat kit. All of the Esci kits I am familiar with have nice tires with lots of detail on them.

Also it has left and right hand drive options.

Edited by Greg L., 25 December 2012 - 02:46 PM.