Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Workstation

I Use one in my spray booth with extra clips and it has worked well for holding chassis and other parts, but for painting bodies I use IBC ROOT BEAR BOTTLES with masking tasking tape with the stickie side turned out and taped accross the mouth of the bottle. So I would say the Tamiya Work Station is very useful!

I think Karl is referring to the stand with the cutting mat, magnifier, spotlight and some small tool storage.

I do know I'd like one. I might grab one with the little infusion of cash I had- a Christmas present for myself, I suppose.

The paint stands Tom's talking about are nice, too.

http://www.micromark.com/hobby-work-station-for-modelers-and-craft-work,8814.html

Charlie Larkin

just from reading the micro mark description ..... 130$ plus cutting mat 19$ (that's where they getcha!) and the light is battery powered (add 4 - D batteries = 6$ - ?) plus shipping, it doesn't seem like a great value.

think about modeling for an extended (read: 15 minutes to 2 hours) having to remain in the same position to focus through the 2x magnifyer and work under the continuingly dimming battery powered light. i think for half the $$$ you could pick up an Optivisor 45$, cutting mat 15$, and plug in desk lamp 25$, and have a more versatile set up.

GMS in PA has for $94 w/ free shipping over $100. Mainly I need the lens for detailing, so sounds not so worth it for me.

Thanks to all !

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, print off a 40 or 50% off coupon and check out their artist section, they have magnifiers and lamps and if that is what you really need, then I think that could be your best bet.

The best money I've spent on hobby tools is a good magnifying light. I broke down and bought one of the larger rectangular ones, about 7x5 lens, and is was worth every penny. You will never go back to those 4-5 in round ones.

You can see it in my recent post on the Saturdays workbench.

I checked it out on Tamiya's site as well as Ebay. Pretty pricey...especially if you use the batteries. Otherwise, they get you again with the power adapter...sold separately. Plus, the size of it kind of limits your work area. For a lot less money, you could get everything you need and make some of the smaller stuff like a bottle holder...a block of wood with a hole bored out the diameter of a bottle, or another piece of wood with holes drilled to stick the brush end in. All of it for a fraction of the price and a little ingenuity. Just don't think it's worth the money...IMO. Besides, think of all the kits you could buy with that money saved!

I'm toying with it because I frequently have to move my workspace, and the lighting in my house is dreadful. I've tried desk lamps on the tray-table, and a variety of other things, and they proved to be as much of a nuisance as anything else. I also don't have the place to do much custom-fabrication right now. Expensive, yes, but sometimes worthwhile. And that 12x18 space is actually bigger than what I have now. The Tamiya mat isn't the only game in town, either.

The battery issue can be solved with rechargeables. A little more up front, but, especially if you build a lot, they'll pay for themselves PDQ.

I tried an Opti-Visor once, and didn't find it comfortable, either to wear or work with.

While this might not be the most economical solution, it's not a bad one.

And yes, definitely do check prices. My hobby shop is substantially less money than Micro-Mark.

Charlie Larkin

Well I went to Hobby Lobby as soon as the Northeast Ohio blizzard of 2012/2013 hit. Brought home a floor stand type lamp and magnifier(at 40% off of course). For being foreign made, it is very solid all around and has 3 and 5x diopter lenses, but I have'nt seen both of them, have make a call.