'57 Ford Custom (Finished, see it in Under Glass forum 3-7-13)

• You cannot reply to this topic
96 replies to this topic

#41 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Again I lost half of my post, will try again.  These nice slicks and over size rims come in the kit.  I will probably use them on my next build of this kit, a stock car racer.DSC04314_zps1486e878.jpg I get the feeling no one is watching this build any more. Please leave comments good or bad. Is this too boring to you guys?  As always, thanks for looking.

#42 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Please leave comments good or bad. 

Ummm, I hate to do this to you, and sorry I missed it earlier in the build, but the two-tone color break is the lip formed by the trunk lid, it should include the panel under the trunk with the license plate recess.  

Hey, you said good or bad! :)   

#43 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Ummm, I hate to do this to you, and sorry I missed it earlier in the build, but the two-tone color break is the lip formed by the trunk lid, it should include the panel under the trunk with the license plate recess.  

Hey, you said good or bad! :)   

Hey Thanks Brett!  So some one is looking, thanks. I always,appreciate all the help I can get.  This is my first solo on workbench, so may not be going about this the right way. Anyway glad to hear from you. :)

#44 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Your distributor has enough tilt on it, my first car was a 57 Town Victoria 4dr hdtp, the wiper motor on these was vacuum powered, usually fed from a diaphragm on the fuel pump.

#45 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Thanks Mike, I wasn't sure about the distributor but couldn't get any more tilt without adding another pin to the bottom, so I just left it alone.  Those old vacuum wipers were cool, I had those on my '55 Chevy and used to tell my wife they were intermittent wipers because, when you accelerated they would stop and when you let up on the gas they went real fast from the vacuum. They were fed from the carburetor on the Chevy. 

#46 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

The Bare Metal Foil still did not come in at  the local hobby shop so, still waiting on that.  I did pick up a silver sharpie to fix the tail lights up and still looking for more images on the two-tone paint.  Could have sworn I saw an image painted like mine.  It won't take too much to correct it anyway I guess.  I want to get this one finished. I just picked up the new issue of Stacy David's Rat Roaster and now I'm getting excited about that with all kinds of ideas going through my head.  I need another one right now with about 12 projects on the bench still from last year. Please, please leave comments to encourage me to finish this one, thanks.ctrp_0711_02_zfireball_grand_nationalext                                                       Here's one image I was looking for of the two-tone.  Mine is wrong according to this image.

Edited by rmvw guy, 08 February 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#47 vintagercr

vintagercr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Martin

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Ron, it is turning out quiet nice.

#48 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Ron, it is turning out quiet nice.

Thanks Stephen!

#49 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Thanks Mike, I wasn't sure about the distributor but couldn't get any more tilt without adding another pin to the bottom, so I just left it alone.  Those old vacuum wipers were cool, I had those on my '55 Chevy and used to tell my wife they were intermittent wipers because, when you accelerated they would stop and when you let up on the gas they went real fast from the vacuum. They were fed from the carburetor on the Chevy. 

when I had my Vicky, I learned that there was a Bendix electric wiper motor that was a direct bolt on, I thought I had heard it was from a Chevy application but didn't care because it worked and was an easy upgrade to a poorly designed wiper drive system.  They should have added a vacuum reservoir to the wiper system.

The y-block that replaced the busted 6 in my vicky didn't have the "top hat" carb either, my genius mechanic father adapted a 70's vintage carter 2bbl to the small bore 4bbl manifold that came with the motor.

one of these days I'm gonna finish the replica of my first car, a factory black (enamel way back then) 4dr hdtp.

Edited by blunc, 08 February 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#50 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

"one of these days I'm gonna finish the replica of my first car, a factory black (enamel way back then) 4dr hdtp." Thanks Mike.                                                                  I did that last year and I think it was the most fun I've ever had building a model, it was a '55 Chevy I had in 1966 when I turned 16.  I spent the summer "fixing it up".  Okay, and here is another chance to show it off.  If anyone else wants to post pictures here feel free, as long as it's not too far off the subject.  I would love to see more '57 Fords.  Thanks for looking.  And here she is, my first car:DSC04200.jpg   

#51 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Still looking for images of two tone paint schemes.   9df7344c76f583aad93f378aecbb0667_zpsa72c8782fb54e8ce572272e732cb0b203f32_zpsc293Okay the Fairlane series is different.

Edited by rmvw guy, 09 February 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#52 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,057 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Some really nice work Ron, real good finish and colors....

#53 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

I wish I could see the back of the red one but, I have a feeling it would look just like the Red and white #22 stock car above.  a2e5300723fb34737ac3ef8f0cf0a43e_zpsef1e  I will repaint.

Edited by rmvw guy, 09 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#54 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Some really nice work Ron, real good finish and colors....

Thanks Slusher!

#55 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Ron your build looks great.  I like the two tone and your interior work is really good.

#56 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Ron your build looks great.  I like the two tone and your interior work is really good.

Thanks Richard, I appreciate that, it means a lot.  :)

#57 Scalper

Scalper

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts
  • Full Name:Andre

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

looking nice.. engine looks sweet.

#58 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

looking nice.. engine looks sweet.

Thanks  Andre, how's yours coming along, haven't seen you on here in a while?  You are one who helped me get mine started.  I might have been finished by now if I would quit baking up to do things twice.  :lol:  Thanks for the comments.

#59 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Local hobby store still has no BMF.  Took a trip to Hobbytown USA in Indy over week end and no BMF there neither, is this stuff getting hard to come by?  I corrected the two-tone this morning under the trunk lid and a little strip under the back window. ( Thanks Brett for the tip.)  I want some BMF before I give up on that idea.  I really like the way this one is turning out so far. DSC04334_zps3999efb8.jpgDSC04335_zps02751706.jpg Thanks for looking.  Let me know what you think good or bad.

#60 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,273 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Why not just place an order with Ricki over at Scale Dreams?