Model Cars Magazine Forum

chevrolet 6 cylinder engines

The stock AMT '60 Chevy fleetside has a six cylinder. The latest one I know of is the Trumpeter '63 Nova SS. Ken Kitchen casts some resin six cylinders, but I don't know if he does the Chevy or not.

The Trumpeter Nova engine is the most modern Chevy inline six available in kit form. I don't know how nice nor accurate it is, but the AMT '60 Chevy pickup's I6 is very nice.

The AMT '50 Chevy pickup and Monogram/Revell '53 Chevy Bel Air Sedan kits both include I6 Chevy engines, too, but neither as as nice as the aforementioned '60 Chevy pickup's I6.

Perry's Resin makes a fantastic resin Chevy 6. I used one in a 67 Biscayne project, photo link below. I'm not sure what Randy's status is now with orders, but its worth looking into, IMHO. cut and paste, cause I can't get photos to post recently...they're about half way down the page. http://public.fotki.com/tsheehy/scale_models/model_cars_1/page3.html

AMT's 3 51 Chevy kits and the 2 Galaxie 46-8 Chevys have 6's

AMT's & Monogram's 53 Vette's have 6s.

the already listed Modern Tool AMT 60 Chevy CameoFleetside, & Trumpeter 63 Nova.

Both MPC/AMT 69 Firebird & Trans AM version kits have the Pontiac 6.

I am not sure what the engine is in my MPC Pacer even though I tore it down for a Resto.

I do know the 6 in the MPC Jeepster/Copmmando is a V not in-line.

The Matador and Pacer should have an AMC 258 I6, I don't know how well you could adapt one to a Chevy application. Even though AMC dug through the other companies trash bins for most of their external engine parts the actual blocks and things were AMC originals.

The 77 camaro used a integral head design which looked different than the std chevy six and if memory served me correct the amc six looked pretty close in head design so I figure if nothing else I can combine the amc and chevrolet sixes to make a engine for the 77 camaro which is going to be a replica of one my wife had. Thanks for the info and I'll talk to sean.

I think only the Trumpeter Nova has the third gen 6 in styrene form. Check the straight 6 community build too - might have some ideas.

In styrene, the only Chevy 6's I know of are the first 4 generations:

MPC '32 Chevy Cabriolet: The original "Stove Bolt 6" 1929-36

AMT '37 Chevy Coupe/Cabriolet, AMT '51 Chevy Bel Air's and Fleetline, Revell/Monogram '53 Bel Air, and Galaxie LTD '48: 1937-53 Chevy 216cid "Cast Iron Wonder"

AMT 1953 Corvette, AMT/Ertl 1960 Chevy pickup: 235cid "Blue Flame"/Thriftmaster/Fleetmaster 6 (Ken Kitchen has the proper underslung aircleaners for this series in resin (1955-57, and 1958-62). This series Chevy 6 was used through 1962 in full-size Chevrolets and also as the base engine for Chevrolet pickups 1954-62.

AMT 1962-65 Chevy II station wagon and Nova HT & Convertible, along with the Trumpeter '63 Nova's: 200(?) and 230cid inline 6, which went out to the early 1970's.

Ken Kitchen makes at least one of these series engines, not sure which though. Norm Veber repops the AMT Chevy II engine from the 1962-64 kits as well.

Art

AMT 1962-65 Chevy II station wagon and Nova HT & Convertible, along with the Trumpeter '63 Nova's: 200(?) and 230cid inline 6, which went out to the early 1970's.

The base engine in the Chevy II/Nova was a 194, which is externally identical to the 230 and 250 engines, exept for the late 250s with the integral manifold head. The 250 saw use into the early '80s in Trucks. There was also a 292 based on the same block structure, but with a taller deck hight, feul pump location, and motor mount arrangement. That one was Truck only.

Excerpt from Wiki:

Overhead Cam

An overhead cam design was adopted by Pontiac in the 1966 model year. The block was based on the Chevrolet Straight-6, but had block and head castings unique to the OHC. Both head and block were cast iron; only the large cam carrier/valve cover was aluminum. The engine featured a Single Over Head Cam and was the base engine in the Pontiac Tempest.

The Pontiac OHC-6 engine shared internal dimensions with the standard 230-cubic-inch (3.8 L) Chevrolet I6 block. The OHC head design put it in the avant-garde of Detroit engineering. The single camshaft was supported by journals within the aluminum valve cover; no separate bearing shells were used. The cam was driven by a glass fiber-reinforced cogged rubber belt, instead of the usual metal chain or gears, making it state of the art for the time, as well as very quiet. Valves were opened with finger followers (centered under the cam) that pivoted at one end on stationary hydraulic adjusters. The oil pump, distributor drive and fuel pump drive were not within the block, but were handled by an external jackshaft in an aluminum housing that bolted to the right side of the block. The jackshaft was driven by the rubber timing belt. The head had a single port face (exhaust and intake were both on the left side) and the valve stems were strongly tilted towards the left. This engine was used on the 1966 through 1969 Tempest and Le Mans and the 1967 through 1969 Firebird.

A high-performance version, called the Sprint, was an option. The Sprint featured high-compression pistons, a hotter cam, dual valve springs, a split/dual exhaust manifold, a better coil and utilized the then new Quadrajet 4-barrel carburetor. It was the first American high-performance in-line six-cylinder engine since the 1954 Chevrolet Corvette.

Pontiac Overhead Cam Six engineThe Pontiac OHC-6 engine ended production with the 1969 models.

Like other Pontiac engines of the era, it was not available in Canada; Canadian Pontiac automobiles came with the Chevrolet OHV six instead, although the Sprint version of the Firebird was available with the OHC engine.

[edit] 230

The 230 OHC-6 engine was produced in 1966 and 1967. Power output was rated at 165 bhp (123 kW) from a displacement of 230-cubic-inch (3.8 L). The high-performance Sprint version produced 207 bhp (154 kW). The 1967 version of the sprint produced 215 hp

[edit] 250

1968 Pontiac OHC 250 1bblThe 250ci Engine (4.1L) replaced the 230ci (3.8L) from 1968 to 1969. The base engine produced 175 hp while the Sprint versions were rated up to 215 hp with an automatic transmission. The versions with a manual transmission received a hotter camshaft which boosted the horsepower ratings to 230 hp.

This is why I recommended the 1/25 Pontiac OHC six...the BLOCK would look the same as a Chevy 250cid as installed in the '69 & '77 Camaros, just the head/valve cover would need to be changed.

Thats why i ask. Now the question is what would be close enough in six cylinder engines to duplicate the integral head which had exhaust and intake on same side same as the standard six. What made them different was the intake was cast into the head with only the exhuast removable. Also had a different valve cover design as well.

Thats why i ask. Now the question is what would be close enough in six cylinder engines to duplicate the integral head which had exhaust and intake on same side same as the standard six. What made them different was the intake was cast into the head with only the exhuast removable. Also had a different valve cover design as well.

I guess the question here very well could be: Was the Chevy engine you have in mind an all new from the oil pan up engine, or was it just a newly engineered cylinder head with the integral intake manifold?

If the latter (and while not knowledgeable on that engine) is the case, then modifying the engine from the '63 Nova might be a good answer. Again, I don't know the answer, never had the urge to go study that vintage of Chevy 6 to find out.

Art

• 1 month later...

For reference, here's a good picture of the integral-head 250 head in bare cast iron.

Aside from the 2-bbl intake, it looks pretty much like one with the separate intake manifold from what I can see, although I guess, from reading the thread, that those had a real bad habit of cracking, which doesn't really surprise me, given the heat stresses and that big piece of iron sticking off the side unsupported.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showpost.php?s=7a5c0aa8946caddda84dda85f1c6c52c&p=4168015&postcount=8

Charlie Larkin