26 replies to this topic

#21 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

Thats why i ask. Now the question is what would be close enough in six cylinder engines to duplicate the integral head which had exhaust and intake on same side same as the standard six. What made them different was the intake was cast into the head with only the exhuast removable. Also had a different valve cover design as well.

I guess the question here very well could be:  Was the Chevy engine you have in mind an all new from the oil pan up engine, or was it just a newly engineered cylinder head with the integral intake manifold?

If the latter (and while not knowledgeable on that engine) is the case, then modifying the engine from the '63 Nova might be a good answer.   Again, I don't know the answer, never had the urge to go study that vintage of Chevy 6 to find out.

Art

#22 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

The blocks are the same, only the parts from the head up were different.

#23 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the help. Now i need to figure out what to use to duplicate the head and valvecover and intake exhaust manifold.

#24 dh1908

dh1908

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:David Hinton

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

Here is another source:

http://my.inbox.com/...00xl/index.aspx

#25 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,742 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

For reference, here's a good picture of the integral-head 250 head in bare cast iron.

Aside from the 2-bbl intake, it looks pretty much like one with the separate intake manifold from what I can see, although I guess, from reading the thread, that those had a real bad habit of cracking, which doesn't really surprise me, given the heat stresses and that big piece of iron sticking off the side unsupported.

http://67-72chevytru...015&postcount=8

Charlie Larkin

#26 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,325 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

nova_4-vi.jpg

If you want to have people scratching their heads, put this one in your Nova!  I believe you can make this by slicing 2 cylinders off a six!

#27 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Ah, i believe thats the venerable old 2.5 iron duke 4 cyl that gm used in their nova II'S and nova line. They are also a popular motor for marine applications.