#221 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

the rivet counter in me is really enjoying this build.

seeing how you translate what seems to be intimate knowledge/exposure of the real parts down to scaled parts is informative and inspirational, just seeing that it can be done (with hints on how it was done) gives me ideas on how I can improve my own skills.

I really appreciate that your hinges duplicate or mimic the real hinges.

#222 codie27

codie27

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Full Name:Codie Lawrey

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

The real cars are definitely not my cup of tea but the level of work that is going into detailing this is something else. Look forward to more updates.

#223 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:11 AM

Thanks guys. Yes, not everyone's cup of tea for sure. For what it is worth, I have had the opportunity to buy a real Seven. I have very little interest in building or even owning a real one now. (Maybe as a track car, but not for the street.)

While I enjoyed building my real Camaro, these just don't do it for me. Some say they are cute, but they are a bit homely too, even after the look grows on you... Plus, I prefer V8s.

Now, I guarantee this one will not look like a traditional Seven, (it is a custom after all), not that it will be necessarily pretty either...

#224 NormL

NormL

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Full Name:Norm Larson

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

They may be homely, but, they sure can be wicked quick.

#225 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

Not as wicked quick as an Atom...  Not that is something I'd really like to have.   Just not willing to give up the Camaro or Corvette to make room for it.

#226 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Not as wicked quick as an Atom...  Not that is something I'd really like to have.   Just not willing to give up the Camaro or Corvette to make room for it.

It sucks when your garage is too small! :lol:  I had a discussion with my wife the other day and asked her what the perfect house was.  She went on and on about how many bed rooms, bathrooms, and such.  She then asked me what my perfect house was.  My reply? A fifteen car garage with a loft.  Am I asking for too much?

#227 NormL

NormL

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Full Name:Norm Larson

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

This popped up yesterday and has the Atom world upside down. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-Ariel-Atom-Replica-Ariel-Atom-REPLICA-KIT-/121076484209?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c30b88871  These are the frames and parts from the ill fated Chinese factory being imported through someone in Portland.  Yeah drama on the Atom forum, kind of missed the drama of old ....

#228 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

It sucks when your garage is too small! :lol:  I had a discussion with my wife the other day and asked her what the perfect house was.  She went on and on about how many bed rooms, bathrooms, and such.  She then asked me what my perfect house was.  My reply? A fifteen car garage with a loft.  Am I asking for too much?

Good call on the loft.  You might have to sleep there.  Alone...

#229 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

This popped up yesterday and has the Atom world upside down. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-Ariel-Atom-Replica-Ariel-Atom-REPLICA-KIT-/121076484209?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c30b88871  These are the frames and parts from the ill fated Chinese factory being imported through someone in Portland.  Yeah drama on the Atom forum, kind of missed the drama of old ....

I wouldn't buy one.  Look at the welds and then compare them with what you see on the real deal.  If I wanted something that would go as fast as an Atom, I would want a little more confidance in the fabrications.

#230 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,441 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

BEAUTIFUL WORK MARK!!!

#231 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,817 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Have you done KAR120C with dish hubcaps from "The Prisoner?" I'd love to see that. My all-time favorite TV series. The series began filming in 1966, so I assume the car is that vintage or slightly older.

Picture4_zpsefbcf768.png

Edited by sjordan2, 06 March 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#232 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

I haven't done a Prisoner car yet (it is a Lotus), but I have thought about doing a modern Caterham in 1/12th taking cues from it.  I doubt I would use the dog dish wheels though.  And tires would be much wider too.  If I were to do a true replica of it, I'd do it in 1/24th.

#233 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Yup.  Wheel and tire mastering work has me shaking my head...

Have you done KAR120C with dish hubcaps from "The Prisoner?" I'd love to see that. My all-time favorite TV series. The series began filming in 1966, so I assume the car is that vintage or slightly older.

Picture4_zpsefbcf768.png

Duuude.  I madly MADLY love this series!  My absolute favorite of the late '60s and possibly all time, and yes, it takes a powerhouse to knock Star Trek from that perch for me.

I don't think there's ever been a single episode of network TV as intense as "Once Upon A Time", before or since.

#234 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Yup.  Wheel and tire mastering work has me shaking my head...

Duuude.  I madly MADLY love this series!  My absolute favorite of the late '60s and possibly all time, and yes, it takes a powerhouse to knock Star Trek from that perch for me.

I don't think there's ever been a single episode of network TV as intense as "Once Upon A Time", before or since.

Complete history and episode guide:

http://www.amazon.co...ner dave rogers

The shows are available on DVD and on Hulu at The Prisoner 1967. The recent remake was weak. The Lotus only appeared in the first episode and the finale, but was in the same titles in all episodes.

Edited by sjordan2, 06 March 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#235 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

Many are online.  Full episodes, uncut, no commercials:   The Prisoner Episode 01 Arrival

#236 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

The remake was good for one thing: a concurrent blu ray release of the original!  Which I absolutely bothered with.

Unlike the remake itself, which I kinda, uh, didn't.  B)

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis, 07 March 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#237 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Mark -- is it possible to build an accurate 1966 Prisoner car with the 1/12 Caterham? Or does it need to be the small-scale Tamiya?

#238 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Define "possible"... says the guy completely scratch-building one... B)

Even with the full wing / fendered 1/12 Caterham which is visually closest looking to the Prisoner car from the three available kits, a LOT of things would have to be modified to make it into a Lotus of that vintage. 

Think of it as akin to trying to make a 1970 Challenger replica using a 2012 Challenger kit.

The best choice is to do it in 1/24, the Tamiya kit would be a great start with the main change I see being the wheels.   The kit rims are similar, but to capture that car I think they'd need to be replaced.  I think the kit tires, while not exactly the same, are probably close enough.  Or, you could just make a new set of tires too...

#239 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Define "possible"... says the guy completely scratch-building one... B)

The best choice is to do it in 1/24, the Tamiya kit would be a great start with the main change I see being the wheels.   The kit rims are similar, but to capture that car I think they'd need to be replaced.  I think the kit tires, while not exactly the same, are probably close enough.  Or, you could just make a new set of tires too...

I believe the Prisoner car has Lotus Elan wheels, correct? (I think you may have told me that yourself, Mark). I've wanted to do a Prisoner Lotus forever - I've got the Tamiya 1/24 kit and recently picked up a Gunze Elan for the wheels. I'm going to end up casting at least one wheel (for the spare) - or maybe five if I don't want to end up with a wheel-less Elan kit.

And by the way, what's the correct color for the Prisoner car?

#240 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

And by the way, what's the correct color for the Prisoner car?

That would be black, white and shades of gray. :lol:  :lol: