Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:34 AM
Comin' along nicely Mark. Being not in my right mind I thought this'd be a Fun build for a SCAA Regional SoCal Club Racer that would have run Riverside and Ontario Sponsored by ..... In and Out Burgers
Not sure about the In and Out Burger sponsorship, but yes, homebuilt daily fair-weather driver / weekend toy/racer... That is the realm I envision it in, at this time... (I'm not even in my left mind...)
And Thanks all!
I made the understructure of the deck lid from two layers of sheet styrene. I acid etched the hinge set from brass using artwork I designed. It is temporarily pinned together with a paper clip.
Edited by Scale-Master, 17 January 2013 - 05:42 AM.
Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:27 AM
This is really amazing work. You can't call it model building, it's model creating.
Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:03 AM
Thanks guys, it is challenging sometimes, but fun!
The oval shaped raised sections on the taillight panel are brass. I acid etched them with a pair of raised rings on the back that aligned with the holes in the taillight panel. I got caught up in assembling them and neglected to take pictures before I permanently installed them…
The light bezels were machined from 6061 aluminum to fit into the brass parts.
Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:11 AM
Cool, class is in session.
Thanks for posting up this WIP, Mark. You're utilzing some interesting techniques.
Great work so far; clean and accurate details.
Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:16 AM
Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:42 AM
Mark, I've been a fan for many years since seeing your various works on the forums I belong to. Always impressed by what I see and always left speechless at the quality of craftsmanship you bring. This is yet just another amazing work of art that I thank you for sharing with us. I'm in for more until you call it finished. Amazing job.
Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:26 AM
Simply amazing Mark. Your idea reminds me of the Nota Fang.
Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:52 AM
Thanks a lot guys! I had never seen the Fang before, I like it. Thanks for the enlightening.
Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:09 AM
Pretty neat stuff, Mark! I'm enjoying watching this. It is definitely opening my mind to possibilities when it comes to thinking outside of the box.
Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:38 AM
The lenses were machined from acrylic. Amber for the turn signal/parking lights and clear for the brake lights. The clear parts will be painted transparent red. The trim ring between the lenses is machined from soft aluminum tubing.
Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:57 AM
Once I dry assembled the lights into the taillight panel, I decided I wanted the raised oval accent to be more prominent, so I added sheet styrene to those areas and made a fillet of polyester filler.
Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:59 AM
Here is the dry assembled taillight set in the panel.
Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:55 AM
This is why you are such an inspiration to us and make's us want to either learn or go out of are normal box and try some thing like this! Thank you Mark
Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:55 AM
Thanks again guys.
It's time to start on the engine. Since I already made the cam cover I figured I'd work my way down from there. The head is made from sheet styrene. First I built a box for the top portion that fits to the already made aluminum cam cover, and then I started adding the external details.
Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:52 AM
I built another box for the lower section of the head. This part was a little more work since I also had to accommodate the header (I made the flange for it at the same time).
As well as the coolant filler…
and on the other side, the face for the intake manifold.
Still more work to do, but I also added locating tabs to the upper section to make it fit positively to the lower part.