#1 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Sanding sticks are good for most things but I'm having difficulty sanding the ejector marks on the inside of a '39 Chevy cab. Has anyone invented a  

home made tool for sanding in such closed locations? Any help would be appreciated. 

#2 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

There is a device called a NiC sander available from,Pro Motorcar Products, used by the body shop guys.,available at most automotive paint stores. It is like a pen shaped instrument with an insert of fiberglass that can be adjusted out when it wears down,the bristles of fiberglass make short work of small sanding areas. without a lot of uneccesary damage. here is the website  www.promotorcarproducts.com

#3 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

There is a device called a NiC sander available from,Pro Motorcar Products, 

Holy COW! Gabriel you are a genius! I actually have one of these in a tool box Id gotten from my uncle when he went into a care facility, but I had no idea what it was. It worked out great.

#4 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,218 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

How do you use the thing? 

#5 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

2012-12-28201635.jpg

Jim, the tip is abrasive. Effectively a sanding pen.

#6 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Sanding sticks are good for most things but I'm having difficulty sanding the ejector marks on the inside of a '39 Chevy cab. Has anyone invented a  

home made tool for sanding in such closed locations? Any help would be appreciated. 

Rob,

I don't often smooth out ejector pin marks on the underside of roofs, but when I do, I like using well-worn pieces of Wet Or Dry sandpaper, and my index finger.  This is one place where the "risk" of sanding a "dimple" into the plastic surface generally (in my experience anyway) isn't that much of a problem, given the concave shape of the inside of most model car body roofs.

By "well-worn" I mean sandpaper that has lost its original stiffness, so that when wet, it's actually quite limp, flexible.  I simply place the sandpaper, with water, on the offending ejector pin point, and sand away, in a bit of a circular motion, stopping to check frequently to see if I've removed the raised portions of them, and adding a bit of putty if there is a recessed spot or two (not uncommon, BTW) and simply repeat the process until I have the surface I am looking for.  It can be helpful to have a bit of 360-grit here, as that coarser grit removes offending material more quickly, and can easily be "polished" up with some 400-grit.  Takes a bit of time generally, but I have gotten the smooth contours that I think you are seeking.

Sometimes, no special tools other than those on the ends of your fingers are all that it takes.

Art

#7 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

the first contractor i worked for (1970) told me the same thing.

of course, he had never seen the micro-mark catalog!

#8 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Thanks Art. Good advice. It is also clear you are a much more patient man than I.  :)