Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Chevy Getting Dirty -- Done 2-10

Mercman

I get easily distracted, so while I started on my Daily Driver build I dug this one out, and started hacking away.

Basic cage all from 3/32nd tubing.

Chevy001.jpg

All braced up, and ready for some fender banging.

Chevy007.jpg

Possible dash board, from a Monogram NASCAR kit modified to fit.

Chevy008.jpg

Gutted engine bay.

Chevy009.jpg

Checking tires.

Chevy011.jpg

Edited by Mercman

After another 7 hours at the bench here is the new progress. This one is taking on a life of it's own.

Added some more interior bracing.
57008.jpg

Made up a fuel cell, and drive shaft safety loops.
57004.jpg

Radiator brackets.
57003.jpg

Gutted the grille.
57002.jpg

Finally found some tires, and rims. The rims will be stripped, and reinforced, then paint a solid color.
57001.jpg

Not shown are the headlight sheet metal pieces, as they are still gluing. Need to make shock brackets next then off to paint.

Another session at the bench. And the build continues. Modified a set of shocks from a NASCAR kit to double shock the rear end.
57011.jpg
57018.jpg

Added more bracing, and reinforced the front corner. This is the side that took the brunt of the force going into the turns. Also you can see the headlight covers I made.
57017.jpg

Needed some gauges, don't want to blow the engine. Made from decals, sheet plastic, aluminum tubing, and split O-rings for necklaces.
57006-1.jpg
57013.jpg

Got the rims soaking to remove the chrome, before they get beefed up, and repainted. Didn't get to much accomplished today, as I had to play nurse maid to my daughter, she had surgery, and all went well. Nothing major, just redo of a old injury.

Comin' along great Junior. You got my attention.... again!

Tony

Now that I have it again Tony I have some ocea front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, doing this build is almost like building the real one. When I think I got it done, I remember something else. Have to make a set of headers for it yet,, as I got the engine drilled last night for wiring.

New modifications made. To be legal back then Centerlines weren't around yet so I had to modify them. Gave them a bath in Easy Off Oven cleaner to remove the chrome, as they will be painted.
57003-1.jpg

Also fuel cells weren't the norm, except for the sprint cars. You were allowed a 10-15 gal tank.So I modified the fuel cell also.
57008-1.jpg

This is what I used to make the wheel disc's.
57004-1.jpg
57005.jpg

Finally the new modified wheels.
57012.jpg

Also found a new seat closer to what we had back then, from the AMT DD Kit for the Fiat.
57006-2.jpg

The trailer is done ready for paint shop.
55.jpg

And here is the tow vehicle.

55006.jpg

This is being built as a CBP on another forum. Daily Drivers, not to shiny, or rusty. I removed all of the badges, and also the one pillar to give it a semi Kustom look. Kind-of a project in progress type of vehicle.

Well got a bit more done today, as the roads were lousy for driving on.

Here are the front hood pins.
chev007.jpg

Then made headers for it. They still need some tweaking yet.
chev006.jpg
chev005.jpg
chev004.jpg

Also the body is in the paint booth getting primer.

I didn't like the first trailer hitch I made, so took it off. It was too close, and the clearance wasn't right.
Old. 55004.jpg

New.chev003.jpg
chev002.jpg

This way the trailer will clear the bumper. Speaking of which both the body for this one, and the trailer are in the paint booth. The trailer is painted, the Nomad is in first coat of primer.

The trailer is done. Got the bed floor in, and added bolt head detail.

trl003.jpg

Safety chains from necklace chain and a couple of fish hooks.

trl005.jpg

Final pic all I need is a license plate for it. I stained the bed to represent leaking fluids, and used a little powder also.

trl007.jpg

Now to get the tow vehicle ready.

i like how this car is turning out you do some nice work and that trailer is beautiful i can see how you got sidetracked lol ill have to try to build one :-) keep it goin!

jason

Trailer or dirt tracker? I just added this one today for another dirt build.

57Ford.jpg

Got some paint on them today, here it is with the first coat of paint. I see I have some bubbles to take care of.

Chevies006.jpg

And the stocker.

Chevies005.jpg

Paint is Tamiya Green Metallic, and Lavender.

Now I have to do the frame, and cage painting yet, then assemble it all.