#21 Pro Wrench

Pro Wrench

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Full Name:Curt Scott

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

So... if I gathered all of the information correctly, the chemicals mentioned above are forms of glue?! Newbie like me really lost the convo on this one.

Well, not exactly. Tenax, Ambroids, Plastruct Plastic Weld, Flex-I-File, MEK, etc. are all chemicals that actually melt the plastic at the joint and litteraly "weld" the two pieces together. Epoxy, CA glue (as in Super Glue, Zap, Etc.) are actual glues that not only melt the plastic but actually also become a part of the bond. The nice thing about using the chemical welding type of stuff is that if you get it on you it doesn't glue your skin to whatever else you are touching.

#22 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Well, not exactly. Tenax, Ambroids, Plastruct Plastic Weld, Flex-I-File, MEK, etc. are all chemicals that actually melt the plastic at the joint and litteraly "weld" the two pieces together. Epoxy, CA glue (as in Super Glue, Zap, Etc.) are actual glues that not only melt the plastic but actually also become a part of the bond. The nice thing about using the chemical welding type of stuff is that if you get it on you it doesn't glue your skin to whatever else you are touching.

Ecactly !! Well said !!

#23 MikeyB08

MikeyB08

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Full Name:James Basham

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Well Alrighty Then!! So you can pick this up at your local Hardware store? Will def. be getting some of this stuff. Thanks for clearing that up guys. 

#24 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Well Alrighty Then!! So you can pick this up at your local Hardware store? Will def. be getting some of this stuff. Thanks for clearing that up guys. 

You CAN get MEK, (which is Plastruct Plastic Weld) which works okay for a lot of folks, at the hardware store.

You CANNOT get DCM (which is Tenax, Ambriod, etc.) at the hardware store.

Different chemicals. Read post #8.