#21 Toast

Toast

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan Chatleain

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Wasn't the saying about the GN and GNX was that, "You can get it in any color you want, as long as it's black."?

I'm sure there were a few people with enough money and desire to make theirs stand out to drive the car from the dealership lot to the paint booth.

#22 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

This looks from the pics like a straight re-pop of the old black GNX kit (which was itself a GN kit with extra parts).

The fit of the front & rear body parts is always a PiTA with these kits requiring much sanding, filling & reinforcing (so they don't let go while you're sanding).

The re-release of this will be welcomed by those who build the local V6 sprint cars which used the Holden version of this engine.

#23 jday240

jday240

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Full Name:J Day

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Yup. No GN/GNX left the factory without the murderous black paint job except the X-Ray, and that wasnt built for the public.

The X-Ray was a Buick T Type made to look like a GNX by an ASC employee.  See link:  http://home.comcast....gnx/GNX/faq.htm

#24 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,161 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Wasn't the saying about the GN and GNX was that, "You can get it in any color you want, as long as it's black."?

I'm sure there were a few people with enough money and desire to make theirs stand out to drive the car from the dealership lot to the paint booth.

I think so, it has been the same for the Syclone, and early versions of the 454SS Pickup and Impala SS sedans too IIRC.

#25 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Full Name:Brodie Nyrud

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

The Syclone/Typhoon was offered in a lot more colors than just black...white, red, gunmetal (I think), etc. Same for the Impala SS sedans...they had a dark cherry and a dark green metallic as well. I don't know if I've seen any other color than black on the 454SS pickups though...anybody know?

#26 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Promos were black or white, so likely those two colors were available

#27 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

For the first year of the Syclone (1991), SS 454 pickup (1990), and Impala SS (1994), black was the only color offered. The rest of the years for each offered other colors.

Brodie: They did offer it in bright red and white, in addition to the black. I have a build on my bench that will be red with a gray interior.

#28 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Full Name:Brodie Nyrud

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Ah, first years...ok, that makes sense. I know all 3 of those vehicles were later offered in different colors. Gotcha.

#29 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,161 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I didn't know you could get the Syclone in anything other than black, I knew they eventually wussed out on the Typhoon, 454SS, and Impala SS with that, but I thought the Syclone was only in black and matt black

#30 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

After doing some research, I retract what I said about the Syclone. I keep forgetting that they only sold the truck for 1991, and all of them were black except for 10 that were painted red for a partnership with Marlboro. There were 3 produced in 1992, two were white/gray and one black, however they weren't sold to the public. The Typhoon on the other hand was offered in multiple colors besides black.

Edit: Personally I don't think GM wussed out by offering other colors. Sure black looks cool on them, but IMO it's pretty lame having your vehicle look like everyone else's. The dark red and gray-green they offered on the Impala look cool, and the SS 454 looks awesome in red.

Edited by Jordan White, 03 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#31 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

The Dark Red and Dark Green were also available on the LT-1 Caprice police package. Pennsylvania State Police had several of each as unmarked/admin cars with cloth seats, carpeting, etc. They were some if the most sought after cars when the state auctioned them off as the color/interior options were rare.

#32 AirForceOne

AirForceOne

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Full Name:J. Bond

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

I had a red 92 454SS project truck last year.  A little research led me to believe that there was only 42 92s finished in red with grey interiors.  I believe 90 trucks were only black, and the later year models got white and red added.  The GMC Sy/Tys I've seen in black, white, red, teal.  Although I think the Typhoons (Jimmy) got the other colors.

Edited by AirForceOne, 10 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#33 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yeah I love the look of the red 454SS, there's one for sale at an old-car dealer nearby but they want 20 grand!  :blink:

#34 Johnny1973

Johnny1973

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Full Name:John Hines III

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

There was a prototype or something called the "X-Ray" which was white with gray interior. I believe it was built with left-over GNX parts and only one car exists (I'm sure multiple replicas are out there though). It was a very cool-looking car! Might be worth building that as well! The only thing I don't like about this kit is that it doesn't have the correct turbo cover...still has the louvered GN/Turbo T turbo cover. A small detail and could be corrected carefully, but a detail non the less. Looking forward to picking one of these up! Thanks for the review!

Here's a pic of the X-Ray:

MVC-012S.JPG

That is one bad ride looks awesome.

#35 Johnny1973

Johnny1973

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Full Name:John Hines III

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

The GNX interior I though was always black and gray not black and silver