larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Once again, thanks for all the info.

I do have the Esci-Ertl SWB but that one is all wrong on so many levels, and an Italeri re-pop sure would have been nice :(

Anyhow, let's hope we do see some of these older Ferrari cars on the market again... Reissues or new tools, doesn't matter to me, as long as they're available.

You're very welcome.  As is very well known about me, I do indeed love "kitology." :)

The ESCI-Ertl SWB was so bad when first released that Ertl took the kit off the market and retooled the body.  It was better, but still bad.  The shape was actually closer to the rare Scaglietti-bodied Corvette than to a Ferrari 250GT SWB. 

Little known fact: the machinations and flawed processes that produced this kit was a key factor in Ertl's decision to liquidate ESCI as an entity, transfer the molds to Dyersville, and reduce ESCI to nothing more than a brand used on kits molded in the USA (later Mexico.)

And I am with you on any Ferrari kit on the market.  Hopefully the rest of the Italeri Ferraris will reappear, either in Italeri box or as Revell of Germany. 

I know I waxed poetic before on the Lusso...now, wouldn't it be nice to have an injection molded 166 or 212 Barchetta too?  A 250 TdF?  a tunnelback 1964 250GTO?  A 330LMB as Bill G. suggested?  Oh yeah!

#22 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Double that.  I have a resin Lusso that needs a donor kit, but it would be SUPER :D  :D  :D to have a plastic Lusso in 1/24

Ed Sexton: if you're reading this (and hopefully you are), pass this along to RoG.  Put a bug in Volker's ear, so to speak.  We need a Lusso.

#23 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Did I pass judgement on anyone? In which part of my post? It certainly was not my intention to do so, but I sincerely apologize if I did. English is not my mother tongue so I might have not expressed myself adequately or appropriately enough, but telling me that I'm just blowing hot steam, so to speak, is borderline offensive on your behalf. And, if I must justify my opinions to you, I would firstly like to point out that I am not twelve years old and I base ALL of them on personal experience, in this case disappointment with Revell's announcement of certain Ferrari kits that never came out in the end. That said, I will refrain from further participation in this topic, and will do my best to proceed in a strictly matter of fact manner in my communications on this forum :rolleyes:

Thank you for your attention and very kind regards from Croatia.

MATIJA

My best friend in this world, the late John Slivoski, once said to me in conversation "its not about the little plastic cars.  Its about the friendships we make along the way BECAUSE of the little plastic cars."

We model car guys are a diverse bunch.  We may not agree on politics, religion, food, drink, you name it, but model cars are the great equalizer for us - on that, we find common ground.

Let's not fight here.  There's room for opinions.  And when the facts contradict, there's nothing more honorable than taking responsibility for the mistake.  That's one way we STAY friends.

Matija, please don't be silent.  Everyone's voice is valuable.

#24 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Larry....AMEN brother, AMEN! Best regards...TIM

Tim, good to see you here again.  Happy New Year to you and yours.

See my response to Gerry re: having Ed Sexton put a bug in Volker's ear re the Lusso.  Wanna lend a hand in that? :lol:

The Lusso (and a BMW 2002tii) are ideal subjects for RoG, in this writer's not-so-humble opinion!

#25 PowerPlant

PowerPlant

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Full Name:Matija Vasić

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

My best friend in this world, the late John Slivoski, once said to me in conversation "its not about the little plastic cars.  Its about the friendships we make along the way BECAUSE of the little plastic cars."

We model car guys are a diverse bunch.  We may not agree on politics, religion, food, drink, you name it, but model cars are the great equalizer for us - on that, we find common ground.

Let's not fight here.  There's room for opinions.  And when the facts contradict, there's nothing more honorable than taking responsibility for the mistake.  That's one way we STAY friends.

Matija, please don't be silent.  Everyone's voice is valuable.

I agree with every word you wrote :)

In that case, I would also very much like to pitch my humble vote for the Lusso. Heck, I'd buy two at least, along with the SWB and the GTO!

And, since you've gone and done it now, I wholeheartedly support you in rooting for the BMW 2002 as well! :D

Edited by PowerPlant, 02 January 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#26 johnwitzke

johnwitzke

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Full Name:John Witzke

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

The Ferrari 250 GTO is my favorite Ferrari.  I have 16 kits of the famous Ferrari.  In my opinion, the 1/24 Fujimi 250 GTO is the best kit for the money, hands down.  I have three different Fujimi 250 GTO kits under construction along with one 1/24 MFH 250 GTO.  There are many photo etch parts and resin parts made just for the Fujimi kit.  Elsewhere on this site I am slowly documenting my build of chassis 3505, a right hand drive GTO using the Fujimi kit.  I also have 1/24 250 GTO kits from Gunze, Italeri, MFH.  The MFH kit is a wonderful kit, but I still prefer the Fujimi kit.  Additionally, I have the previous ROG 250 GTO kit.  Quite honestly I purchased the ROG kit for the decals.  The ROG body dimensions are off, especially the rear.  A new re-tooled kit is needed in order to compete with the Fujimi kit.  Time will tell if this is a newly engineered kit or just a re-pack of an older kit.     

Attached Files

Edited by johnwitzke, 02 January 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#27 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,553 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I wholeheartedly support you in rooting for the BMW 2002 as well! :D

Same here

#28 The Junkman

The Junkman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Jung

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Ohhh, a Lusso.  Or a reissued 275GTB?  Excuse me, I might need a little "alone" time.  Since we're dreaming how about a modern mold 260/289 Cobra with FIA optional parts?

#29 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ohhh, a Lusso.  Or a reissued 275GTB?  Excuse me, I might need a little "alone" time.  Since we're dreaming how about a modern mold 260/289 Cobra with FIA optional parts?

That ALMOST happened.  It was to be Accurate Miniatures' third car kit.  Unfirtunately, licensing costs and low funds put the kibosh on that one.  Ahh, what MIGHT have been!

#30 Exotics_Builder

Exotics_Builder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Paquette

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

Can always find room to add a Lusso and a few others.  Just got the 599 GTO, SA Aperta and F12 Berlinetta.  Just a little bit of my Ferrari stash:

100_4457.jpg

100_4456.jpg

100_4458.jpg

100_4454.jpg

#31 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Alex Kustov did a beautiful job on a 1/24 Lusso from Scale Kraft and R&M of Maryland. Click on the Review link in his text.

http://www.italianho...Lusso/lusso.htm

#32 Exotics_Builder

Exotics_Builder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Paquette

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Alex Kustov did a beautiful job on a 1/24 Lusso from Scale Kraft and R&M of Maryland. Click on the Review link in his text.

http://www.italianho...Lusso/lusso.htm

Yes he did!  Unfortunately, Scale Kraft went OOB in 2005/6 time frame.  Harold Bradford is working on one, but I don't have a date on when it will be available.

#33 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Gerry...I bought what I presume was the Western Models White Metall Lusso from Dave at RnD Unique (IIRC) back around 1987 or so, paying at the time what I think was around $150 for it. It was admidtedly a gamble, and when I got the kit it was exactly what I expected  -  typical white metal kit that could be build into a beautfiul replica given unlimited amounts of time and talent.  I still have it, (the kit, that is, unbuilt) but I long for the lack of assembly complexity and the exquisite detail that a high-quality styrene replica from Revell or RoG could give us (Tamiya, quite frankly is still on my hit list for what they did (or did not) due to their Aston Martin kit re lack of realistic engine execution).

I recall seeing an absolutely gorgeous Lusso build from David Morton who used to (and may still) attend the NNL South in Atlanta.  Don't recall what basis he used for it but the build quality was spectacular. 

TIM

Edited by tim boyd, 03 January 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#34 CAL

CAL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Allen LeClair if you must know.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

The Ferrari 250 GTO is my favorite Ferrari.  I have 16 kits of the famous Ferrari.  In my opinion, the 1/24 Fujimi 250 GTO is the best kit for the money, hands down.  I have three different Fujimi 250 GTO kits under construction along with one 1/24 MFH 250 GTO.  There are many photo etch parts and resin parts made just for the Fujimi kit.  Elsewhere on this site I am slowly documenting my build of chassis 3505, a right hand drive GTO using the Fujimi kit.  I also have 1/24 250 GTO kits from Gunze, Italeri, MFH.  The MFH kit is a wonderful kit, but I still prefer the Fujimi kit.  Additionally, I have the previous ROG 250 GTO kit.  Quite honestly I purchased the ROG kit for the decals.  The ROG body dimensions are off, especially the rear.  A new re-tooled kit is needed in order to compete with the Fujimi kit.  Time will tell if this is a newly engineered kit or just a re-pack of an older kit.     

Its not really off. The ROG 250 GTO or Protar 250 is based off a car what was serously wrecked in the rear and the guys the put it back together too some liberties with body to help some known problems with the car so the shape was slightly modified to make better use of aero - something they were just starting to figure out, and so it could use bigger tires in the rear. It is accurate to the car it was modeled after, just not to the way it rolled out of the factory.

#35 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

The IPMS Germany site is listing the kit as a "in cooperation" release, so new tooling it does not appear to be...

#36 khier

khier

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Full Name:Walid

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Now it is my turn to (re-) fuel the fight....

It seems to be a habit of model car makers, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Revell, and now Revell of Germany to re-edit the same subject over and over again while there are tons of interesting subjects crying out to be made and finally fall to the Die Cast world, which whose share grows everyday at the expense of plastic model kits. I can fill pages with examples, but I will mention only few: Revell 1962 Corvette, 1963 Corvette, Haswgawa's Countach and finally ROG Mini and 2CV.

Do not tell me they brought improvements with respect to older versions, I know that. But do not forget we lived with these older versions for decades and have been looking for complementing models for decades also..... Can you remember when was the last 1961 Corvette released? or the last 1958 Ford Fairlane? or when was the Renault R4 or Citroen DS ever made? Or, if it had to be a mini, why not a Clubman?

While I give those companies, especially both Revell branches the credit for the numerous new and desirable releases, like the 1950 Olds, 57 Ford, 57 Chevys and several modern Ferraris, I still do not understand why do we need another version of an overkill thing like Austin mini?

Edited by khier, 03 January 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#37 Paul H

Paul H

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Harker

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

Fully agree about the new tooled Mini.  Yes, it is a slightly different version than Tamiya's, but not significantly enough imho.  However, perhaps Revell are intending to do more versions later if it is successful enough (as they are now doing with the recently announced panelvan version of their excellent recent VW splitscreen bus) - such as a countryman / traveller, or as you suggest, a Clubman.

A 1:24 DS would be fantastic - whilst Heller did do 1:16 versions of the earlier type saloon & decapotable, from all reports, they are not the easiest to build.  Whether a new DS kit would sell well outside Europe is another matter though.

Edited by Paul H, 04 January 2013 - 03:29 AM.

#38 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

Well there-in lies the slippery-slope if "it already exists, we don't need a new one". Sure Beetle, Mini & 2CV kits exist, but whether anyone wants to admit it for fear of feeling old, those kits.are now (or nearly) 30 YEARS old. Beyond the Asian market vs. European market comparisons they'd be a fair amount of popular kits that wouldn't exist...

Revell '49 Merc - NO! The AMT kit is fine
Revell Tri-Fives -Heck No! They already had kits of those..

No '32 Fords, no '69 Camaros (hey Monogram had a perfectly serviceable - if not cartoonish one already.), no,'57 Ford, and on and on.

I mean exactly where does one draw the line at deciding what kit does or doesn't deserve new tooling? Revell is on try THREE on the '70 Cuda after all.

#39 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Tim, good to see you here again.  Happy New Year to you and yours.

See my response to Gerry re: having Ed Sexton put a bug in Volker's ear re the Lusso.  Wanna lend a hand in that? :lol:

The Lusso (and a BMW 2002tii) are ideal subjects for RoG, in this writer's not-so-humble opinion!

Amen on the BMW 2002 tii. I have never understood how this important car has never been done in 1/24th or 1/25th. Sometimes I just shake my head in confusion.................

#40 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

Its not really off. The ROG 250 GTO or Protar 250 is based off a car what was serously wrecked in the rear and the guys the put it back together too some liberties with body to help some known problems with the car so the shape was slightly modified to make better use of aero - something they were just starting to figure out, and so it could use bigger tires in the rear. It is accurate to the car it was modeled after, just not to the way it rolled out of the factory.

Any help as to which car and it's racing history??